🍎 OFFICIAL NEW YORK METS THREAD 🍎: @ Nationals 6/3-6/5

Knowing that it's low chance that we get either Epstein or Beane

It'd be lit if that happens

Looks like our 2021 offseason will not be boring :lol:

Last edited:
Beane would be extremely intriguing. I too would be happy with either him or Theo.

Melvin, I can't really comment on. A lot of these managers do great in small markets but then struggle to adjust to the media scrutiny of being in NY. Guys who have already managed in NY (Girardi) or previously played in and thrived in NY (Boone, Beltran) or managed and won in big cities (Maddon) should always be high on the Mets list. (Those are just examples btw not necessarily who I want).

The Mets should never be in a position where when they hire their manager or GM, your first response is "who?".

Brodie... who?? Mickey... who?? Come on now. :lol:

Even Luis to a degree was a huge question mark.

That's just MY opinion. This franchise and city is way too appealing for hires like that. There should never be a "settle" hire here.

As in "ok, let's settle for this guy to be our new GM or manager". NEVER should happen here.

As far as the 30 for 30 goes, I highly recommend it.

The buildup and description of NY in the 80s was good for context. It was tough watching some of those vhs quality highlights ( :sick::sick:), but it's worth sitting through to see how the team was built.

Some things that stood out:

Straw's pops making him and his brother take of their shirts for whippings as kids. :smh:

Mookie having no toenails to fit his brother's shoes. :sick:

Lenny is FRIED. :lol:

Darling, Ojeda, Aguilera, and Teufel getting arrested for that bar brawl. Even the "softest" guys was getting into trouble. :pimp:

Tearing up the plane and the players refusing to pay for it. :wow:

Doc asking for that Len Bias. |l

The Astros series. I was a kid returning from a class trip on a school bus and the driver had the game cranked on the radio. :nthat:

Keith regretting not being on the bench for the comeback. >D That's still my captain though. Him making fun of Carter was legit funny. :lol:

There really is too much to list. And even with that said, it somehow still feels a little incomplete. How do you not have input from Tim McCarver? You know he had a unique perspective seeing these guys play every single day. Also found it odd that there was very little mention of HoJo. And only Kevin Mitchell seemed to mention being in touch with former teammates. The documentary never mentioned if Straw and Doc are cool again or if Keith felt any sort of guilt for introducing his hard habits to the club. It was heavily implied that his cocaine use set the stage for Doc and Straw becoming addicts.

All in all it was a great retelling of that era. 4.5 out of 5.

E5AE30EE-38D3-4F57-9F81-FFAA74B0AD4B.jpeg
ED93DEA0-94C1-4BB8-8025-84139A2E12E9.jpeg

One thing I'll say about A-Rod, you can tell he was a genuine Mets fan growing up. He ALWAYS heaps compliments on the Mets during an ESPN telecast, especially that 86 team. And it would have been dope if he actually was able to purchase instead of Cohen.

Anyway, he made a great point about the constant lineups and how players are more comfortable and have more success when they drive to the park knowing where they will hit that night.

That's definitely something this year's team struggled with. I understand part of it was due to all the injuries. But the other part of it has just been puzzling decision making by Rojas. I always hate seeing Pete bat 2nd for instance.

Last edited:
^

I remember A-Rod attended the 2000 WS game. I was a young boy that time. There was a rumor that A-Rod might join Piazza and the Mets. Philips thought Rey Ordonez was good enough :smh:

I have no problem if A-Rod became an ownership of the Mets. It's just I am not a big fan of a group that has 15-20 millionaires to buy a team :sick:

Speaking of the 80s Mets, didn't the Mets go through the same problem under the new ownership? They went worse after Doubleday & Co. and minority Fred Wilpon purchased the Mets

The Mets just need some times under Cohen. I have faith that we will be very good ASAP

I just watched that 30 for 30 and as a die hard Yankee fan i can't front, it was pretty good. Brought back alotta memories from those days. I remember how many dudes jumped ship from being Yankee fans and started wearing Mets hats :lol: fought more than a couple kids from my block back then. I remember how good Mike Scott was then, forgot he was cheatin. The Mets did own the city back then. Shame , they should've at least got 2. Another thing was i forgot how good the Cards were. 4 outta 5 for me ....

^

I remember A-Rod attended the 2000 WS game. I was a young boy that time. There was a rumor that A-Rod might join Piazza and the Mets. Philips thought Rey Ordonez was good enough :smh:

I have no problem if A-Rod became an ownership of the Mets. It's just I am not a big fan of a group that has 15-20 millionaires to buy a team :sick:

Speaking of the 80s Mets, didn't the Mets go through the same problem under the new ownership? They went worse after Doubleday & Co. and minority Fred Wilpon purchased the Mets

The Mets just need some times under Cohen. I have faith that we will be very good ASAP

Completely agree about the 15 - 20 millionaires investing. I'm sure A-Rod would have had the majority say or at least be the face of the investment group. But yeah, J-Lo, Travis Kelce, Urlacher, Demarco Murray and whoever else was rumored would have been pure ***. :sick: No thanks. Especially in light of the separation between A Rod and J Lo.

I also agree about giving Cohen a chance. He seems passionate and if he's like say a Steve Ballmer, then I'm with it.

As far as the A-Rod to the Mets goes, I remember the rumors of him coming to the Mets but couldn't recall the details surrounding it. So I googled and found this from a 2018 article:

"During ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball broadcast, former New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez implied that he wished he signed with the New York Mets in the 2000-2001 offseason. The hypothetical question was posed by play-by-play announcer Matt Vasgersian while discussing Washington Nationals star Bryce Harper's upcoming free agency decision.

Rodriguez has previously said that he was a Mets fan as a child.

“Growing up in Miami, I was a huge Mets fan,” Rodriguez said. “Keith Hernandez was my favorite player. And I thought I would make great concessions to go play for the Mets. And I thought it was just a great story for baseball, it would’ve been a great story for me to play for the team I grew up watching. And I thought Mets-Yankees would have been a great story.”

"I would just say this: If I was to do it again, I would just take control of my career a lot more," he added.

In a 2011 story by Ian O'Connor of ESPN, Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, asked for many additional perks if he signed with the Mets. The list included a Shea Stadium office, a marketing staff, a merchandise tent at spring training, a luxury box, a private jet and several billboards. No dollar amount was ever discussed with the Mets, former general manager Steve Phillips told ESPN.

'It's not about individuals," Phillips told the New York Times in 2000. "It's about 25 players joined into a team. When that is compromised, it becomes difficult to win.''

I see why that **** ain't happen. **** outta here with them requests Boras. :lol:

Boras :rofl: :smh:

Conforto is one of his clients

Just saw his numbers against lefty this season: .068 batting average :sick:

Bye Scooter

I think what some people have said about the pressure of playing for a new contract getting to Conforto is true.

Personally, I'd re-sign him as long as his (and Boras') demands aren't out of this world.

Not trying to see another Daniel Murphy situation.

Conforto is buns

After 2019, he's fallen. No doubt the shoulder injury and then covid has impacted him.
I'll sign him for cheap, otherwise Im ok with bringing back Billy McKiney or Brandon Drury for short term deals until we get our studds from the Minors (Khalil Lee).

You guys need to resign Stroman
That should be a top priority.

Villar should come back as well.

I'm still not ready to play GM just yet but my view for 2022 is to run it back Turbo.

Thor, Villar, Baez, Stro, and Conforto allllllll should return imo.

Injuries hurt the most. No pun intended.

As soon as the best pitcher on the planet went down, it was a wrap.

I'm still not ready to play GM just yet but my view for 2022 is to run it back Turbo.

Thor, Villar, Baez, Stro, and Conforto allllllll should return imo.
Thats a lot of money there and don't forget Cano along with his $20Million comes back as well.
Injuries hurt the most. No pun intended.

As soon as the best pitcher on the planet went down, it was a wrap.
It def sped up our crash but our offense was 2nd worst in the league. DeGrom cant help there when he isnt pitching. Weve seen him get RBIs when he does pitch tho. God bless DeGoat

Thats a lot of money there and don't forget Cano along with his $20Million comes back as well.

Only Baez and Stro will break the bank. And no matter what team you are, you'll have to pay a high price for quality starting pitching. Thor and Conforto I think will happily take a little less to return to NY. **** that, they better had. :lol:

It def sped up our crash but our offense was 2nd worst in the league. DeGrom cant help there when he isnt pitching. Weve seen him get RBIs when he does pitch tho. God bless DeGoat

You're absolutely right, the offense has been TRASH which is partly what prompted the Baez trade. Which is exactly why he needs to be re-signed. The run support for Jake has been embarrassing his whole Mets career. :smh:

A healthy lineup of Villar, Nimmo, Lindor, Pete, Baez, McNeil, Conforto, and C should provide plenty of fireworks. Even if you don't bring Villar back, slide Nimmo up to leadoff and insert Cano (yep, forgot all about him) anywhere 2 - 6.

As for the money, Cohen got the dough. This is part of what's expected of a money bags owner. :lol:

If baez comes back, does that mean Mcneil is at 3rd base or LF ?
Dom should stay away from LF, dude cant run and his arm isnt strong enough. DH & 1B for him next season.

Im ok trading Dom, JD Davis for some pitching.
Also, Familia is a free agent at the end of this season. I dont want him back....ever again.

Watch stroman sign with the dodgers

If baez comes back, does that mean Mcneil is at 3rd base or LF ?
Dom should stay away from LF, dude cant run and his arm isnt strong enough. DH & 1B for him next season.

Im ok trading Dom, JD Davis for some pitching.
Also, Familia is a free agent at the end of this season. I dont want him back....ever again.

Watch stroman sign with the dodgers

If Baez comes back, I'm good with Jeff out in left.

I agree with Dom DH/1B/PH in 2022.

And I'm also ok with trading him and/or JD for whatever is needed.

Watching/listening to the broadcast, it seems clear that Luis has lost faith in Dom anyway. As the guys said, it's tough for Dom to not even get a start in a doubleheader. Lefty/righty matchup be damned.

Armando Familia-Benitez needs to go far, far away from NY. I kind of like him as insurance for when Diaz slumps. But otherwise, peace out.

Stroman going to the Dodgers? Man, how much more firepower do they need? :lol:

I like Stro and I hope the NY kid comes back to NY.

Back
Top Bottom