🎾 OFFICIAL AGASSI RETRO THREAD - ATC II 2024 Hot Lava and 2025 Pink Racer🎾

ill wear those when i'm at the yacht club 
smokin.gif

Slightly remember this but imagine if this all happened today....

In addition to not playing the Australian Open for the first eight years of his career, Agassi chose not to play at Wimbledon from 1988 through 1990 and publicly stated that he did not wish to play there because of the event's traditionalism, particularly its "predominantly white" dress code to which players at the event are required to conform. He decided to play at Wimbledon in 1991, leading to weeks of speculation in the media about the clothes he would wear.

More from 1991:

WINBLEDON, ENGLAND — WIMBLEDON, England -- They held a tennis tournament yesterday and a fashion show broke out.

At precisely 3:52 p.m., a clean-shaven 21-year-old model/player with shoulder-length streaked blond hair, a white headband and dangling gold earring peeled off a white warm-up suit and walked down a grass-covered runway. The crowd of 13,107 in the old green stadium fell silent and then cheered.

Andre Agassi was back at Wimbledon, all dressed up in virgin white.

Agassi, bowing to tradition, the rules and the royals at the All England Club, essentially bleached his basic multi-colored "Rock-and-Roll Tennis" outfit and conformed to the tournament's "predominantly white" clothing rule. He wore white sneakers, white socks, baggy white denim shorts with white Lycra cycling tights, and an oversized white shirt that flew up on every shot and exposed his bellybutton.

Few were laughing when Agassi unveiled his clothes at Centre Court. This was billed as the most eagerly anticipated tennis fashion event since Gussie Moran wore lace bloomers in 1949 and Anne White donned a bodysuit in 1985.

Agassi's appearance amounted to a 76-minute commercial for his clothing outfitter, Nike. Although he is ranked No. 5 at Wimbledon, he is not expected to make a run for the title.

"We actually had to write a special letter to Wimbledon to ask for special permission for Andre to wear his Lycra cycling shorts and a shirt that wasn't tucked in," Nike spokeswoman Liz Dolan said. "Unbelievable."

The outfit was designed six months ago and met with official approval. Nike calls it the Challenge Court line. White noise would be better, although it won't be available in your neighborhood stores. In many respects, this was much ado about nothing.

"I'm disappointed with the boy," NBC-TV commentator Bud Collins said. "He's a fraud. He's a wimp. It's the most disappointing day of my career."

Agassi dressed like a club player out for a Sunday afternoon game of mixed doubles. All white and no trim, although that may change.

"Andre still has some more options," said Ian Hamilton, Nike's director of tennis sports marketing. "Maybe the story is not finished yet. You better put a semicolon at the end."

Last edited:
The irony of it... Winning his 1st slam at Wimbledon (from the baseline no less), while the Aus Open was his most successful slam... 

Last edited:
The irony of it... Winning his 1st slam at Wimbledon (from the baseline no less), while the Aus Open was his most successful slam... 

And skipped the tournament many times and according to Nick Bollettieri "he didn't see a blade of grass" before winning it in 92.

Last edited:
^ Looking back, it was a pretty amazing feat... being S&Ver's from the baseline at Wimbledon... back then the grass was still fast...

Anyway, posted this a while back... figured it be appropriate given RyGuy's post...

I just red-read the Collins line, I mean come on Bud :lol: :lol:

"I'm disappointed with the boy," NBC-TV commentator Bud Collins said. "He's a fraud. He's a wimp. It's the most disappointing day of my career."

Because of Andre's clothes and the attention he gets.

Man those were the damn days.

I'm glad to say that I finally gonna get the blue suedes, had to spend 250€ though but I love them so much that I saved for months just for this pair. I will post pictures as soon as they arrive.

I'm glad to say that I finally gonna get the blue suedes, had to spend 250€ though but I love them so much that I saved for months just for this pair. I will post pictures as soon as they arrive.
I've been lurking ebay for a while now looking for a decent priced pair, but the search will continue. 

In other news, did the Burgundy Waterproof 2s ever drop or were the scrapped?

If it was all blue where the pinstripes are I think Id love them more.

Id probably get them any way tho :lol:

The tag inside right shoe looks like a promo tag but hard to make out.

I've been lurking ebay for a while now looking for a decent priced pair, but the search will continue. 

In other news, did the Burgundy Waterproof 2s ever drop or were the scrapped?

A French online shop got a couple of pairs left if you wanna give it a try just look for "retro shop en ligne" on Facebook and PM them

Back
Top Bottom