11-Year-Old $11K Richer After Selling Happy Meals Collection

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/03/06/11-year-old-11k-richer-after-selling-happy-meals-collection/ You know all those annoying little toys that come with Happy Meals at McDonald's? If you're like me, you've probably got some rolling around underthe seat of your car right now. Before you fish them out and toss them, you might want to reconsider. As one savvy 11-year-old boy proved yesterday, justbecause the toys are free doesn't mean they're worthless.

Luke Underwood from Notts, England, turned his own Happy Meal collection into a tidy sum of cash when he sold it at auction for an astonishing £8,130(that's over $11,000)! The Mail Online reports his 7,000-piece collection of Mickey D's promotional items -- toys, boxes, posters andmore -- was sold in 300 lots to buyers from around the world, proving the Happy Meal slogan true: Do you believe in magic? Not only did Luke keep hiscollection from gathering dust on a shelf, he did not play with or touch the toys at all. Not once. Many items were in pristine condition inside their originalpackaging, including the only known complete set of the 101 Dalmatians. "This was one of the most unique collections ever to go on the market and theresponse was phenomenal," says Terry Woodcock, owner of the auction house where the sale took place.

It is estimated that 10,000 Happy Meals would have to have been eaten in order to amass such a collection. But before you head out to the drive-through, youshould know that Luke did not eat those meals himself. At the age of seven, he convinced his father to purchase another Happy Meals collection (datingfrom 1990 to 1999) for about $350. Four years later, after the collection began taking over the family home, he was persuaded to part with it.

"I didn't really want to sell it but now I'm planning on saving the money so I can buy something else like this and make some more money,"Luke counters.

If past performance is any indication, Luke should do quite well with his future investment plans. In fact, maybe he could give some advice to the pros on WallStreet.

When the Happy Meals used to come with watches that was
smokin.gif

"I didn't really want to sell it but now I'm planning on saving the money so I can buy something else like this and make some more money," Luke said.

My man
pimp.gif

So they convinced the kid he's a reselling prodigy, gave him 11 racks and let him loose on the world?
laugh.gif

Dude is gonna end up with 11K worth of T.M.X.s

i got madd happy meal toys in a bag sitting unopen and all

over a 100 tho all i know

.... : breaks open bag to cash out :

that kid prob gets pick on by his peers.. and look like a freakin lame. Or he can be coolest kid on the block.. but i doubt it but reading his quote.

Originally Posted by parada45

How did dude end up getting all the displays?

McD's prolly would give it away after the promo is over. if you went and asked a manager they'd give it away instead of trashing it

Originally Posted by instant klassic

11? He was barely around when that set of 101 Dalmatian toys came out. His dad was probably collecting these toys even before he was born.
reading comp is fun!

At the age of seven, he convinced his father to purchase another Happy Meals collection (dating from 1990 to 1999) for about $350.
son is like a lil investment prodigy...

Originally Posted by instant klassic

11? He was barely around when that set of 101 Dalmatian toys came out. His dad was probably collecting these toys even before he was born.
Yeah, I was curious too. Because it said from 1990-1999, but the kid wouldn't have even been born until 98-99. So his dad was buying a tonbefore having the kid. And if the kid was age 7, then I don't see how he could have been telling his dad to buy another one from 90-99, unless I'mreading it wrong (which I'm assuming).

Kid is savvy though. It said he bought a pushbike for £20 ($27.46) and sold it for over £100 ( a little over $137.28).

I started collecting hot wheels when I was 5.. sold the collection at 9 for $1500
pimp.gif

Well with some help of my pops

Back
Top Bottom