12/17/06....the night Kobe & the Lakers ate 60 from Gil

Gil's got his sentencing on Friday, so let's remember the good times.  Let's focus on this ONE game. I'm sure the haters will come in and post pics of Lebron patting dude on the arm, Gil not scoring 50 vs. the Blazers, etc....However, for one night in his hometown, Gil went off...

He scored a franchise record 60 points and got the win on the road vs. the Lakers. It was a 4th quarter/OT domination that was so bad, Kobe was tight afterwards:

Asked how the Wizards' guard scored so many, Bryant said,"First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Thinkabout that."Washington shot 60 free throws and made 47.Bryant added, "Some of the shots he took tonight, you missthose, they're just terrible shots, just awful. You make them andthey're unbelievable shots."

http://
Irony.

anyways....this was one of, if not THE finest moment of his career.....

*Someone jog my memory....was it this game or another where Gil left his shoes at mid-court following the game?

Gil was scorching everybody that the Lakers put on him. I remember the following days where Kobe said Gil had "no conscious" and there was a little argument going on here.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

pimp.gif
was just thinking about this the other day

Yeah man....it was briefly mentioned in another thread (NBA stats, I think)....but it was one of the best regular-season performances in the past 5 years or so....

I mean, Kobe was MAD.  Gil did whatever the %!%# he wanted in that 4th quarter/OT.  Kobe was on him the whole time...dude was in the zone beyond belief.  Kobe was regarded as one of the best defenders in the NBA at the time, but that 60 Gil dropped goes to show how sick of an offensive talent he was in his own right.  When he is "on" (pre knee injuries), he had one of the quickest first-steps, and was close to unguardable in a one-on-one situation. 

Asked how the Wizards' guard scored so many, Bryant said,"First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Thinkabout that."Washington shot 60 free throws and made 47.Bryant added, "Some of the shots he took tonight, you missthose, they're just terrible shots, just awful. You make them andthey're unbelievable shots."
Funny that Kobe does the same thing ALL the time.

Originally Posted by MetroKid26

But kobe actually makes them, is what sets them apart.

Hell, every shot kobe takes is ridiculous. The ones where hes got a hand an inch away from his face, completely cant see the basket at all and he still makes it.

Kobe and Gil were goin back and forth that whole game points wise.  I think it was 45-42 Gil or somethin like that at the end of regulation.  But Kobe couldn't keep up in OT, and Gil went and got the win. 
smh.gif

Awesome game to watch though, I can't even think of many 40 point games dudes have dropped on Kobe, Gil went and got 60 and on Kobe's court no less.  Flat disrespect that night. 
laugh.gif

Asked how the Wizards' guard scored so many, Bryant said, "First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Think about that."Washington shot 60 free throws and made 47.Bryant added, "Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, they're just terrible shots, just awful. You make them and they're unbelievable shots."

Gil was like the perfect blend of size, strength and quickness. It's crazy to think how fast he arrived as a star and then how quickly he faded. He flat out embarrassed LA and Kobe. I really thought Kobe was going to try to get 65 in that matchup in Washington...the hype for that game was CRAZY for some reg. season game. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FinesseSosa

Asked how the Wizards' guard scored so many, Bryant said,
"First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Think
about that."Washington shot 60 free throws and made 47.Bryant
added, "Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss
those, they're just terrible shots, just awful. You make them and
they're unbelievable shots."

But it's Kobe tho. Arguably the second greatest player to ever touch the hardwood.

I don't remember Gilbert's name in the Top 50 all-time.

Gil was wet that game no youngcheezy.. Kobe was extra salty.. Always good to see two players go back and forth against each other..

Gil
pimp.gif
hes an idiot but cant wait to see him play next year. he will be fully healed and ready to ball.

future teammates?
nerd.gif

gil loves playing in LA...hes from there...dude was just unconscious plus he was out to take on everyone who got selected for team USA

oh well he got owned in the all-star game and afterwards
laugh.gif

But it's Kobe tho. Arguably the second greatest player to ever touch the hardwood.
And the Kobe fans wonder why people knock on them.

Let's see here. Bill Russell won 11 titles, some as player-coach, and played the greatest defense the game has ever seen.

Larry Bird won three titles as the lead man, against the fiercest competition of the past 3 decades (for the vast majority of his career, Philly, LA, Detroit, Denver and Milwaukee were seen as candidates for the title) and while flirting with nighty triple doubles.

Magic Johnson reinvented the PG position, won five titles and could have been looking at more had HIV not cut his career short and dropped 42 while playing center in the deciding game of the NBA Finals.

Kareem won six titles, five regular season MVP's, averaged a 38-14 in his prime and won a title in Milwaukee of all places.

Go ahead and make your case for Kobe vs. any of those guys.

And I'm not even going into Wilt, Isaiah, Pippen, Tim Duncan, Olajuwon, Oscar Robertson, etc.

Originally Posted by NIMFH

And the Kobe fans wonder why people knock on them.

Let's see here. Bill Russell won 11 titles, some as player-coach, and played the greatest defense the game has ever seen.

Larry Bird won three titles as the lead man, against the fiercest competition of the past 3 decades (for the vast majority of his career, Philly, LA, Detroit, Denver and Milwaukee were seen as candidates for the title) and while flirting with nighty triple doubles.

Magic Johnson reinvented the PG position, won five titles and could have been looking at more had HIV not cut his career short and dropped 42 while playing center in the deciding game of the NBA Finals.

Kareem won six titles, five regular season MVP's, averaged a 38-14 in his prime and won a title in Milwaukee of all places.

Go ahead and make your case for Kobe vs. any of those guys.

And I'm not even going into Wilt, Isaiah, Pippen, Tim Duncan, Olajuwon, Oscar Robertson, etc.

Did you guys hear Jesse cheated on Sandra?

Oh sorry, I thought we were just posting random stuff unrelated to the OG post.

Back
Top Bottom