12 Years A Slave (Film) - Starring Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Chiwetel Ejiofor - 10/18/13

Bend_The_Knee

formerly gotholesinmysocks
Synopsis - 12 Years a Slave is based on the 1853 autobiography of Solomon Northup, a free black man who was kidnapped in Washington D.C in 1841 and sold into slavery. He worked on plantations in the state of Louisiana for 12 years before his release.

Also starring - Michael K. Williams, Paul Giamatti, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano.

First images here - http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...qQIwAw&usg=AFQjCNEWMlLx912ZDS2B0sGaOQy2dESTqA

Will NOT watch.

So tired of slave movies. is that the only way black people get any real film work

Shut up... Besides the fact that movies about slavery make up less than 1% of films with a black actor in a leading role, it seems that you're only acknowledgeding films about slaves as "the only way black people can get real film work".

Steve McQueen really knows how to touch the core of a subject. Hunger had me researching stuff the whole movie..

Been waiting on this sine it was brought up in the Django thread. I love Steve McQueen's work..

Will NOT watch.

So tired of slave movies. is that the only way black people get any real film work
Perhaps (just going out on a limb) people are identifying with slavery because they're being overworked, underpaid, and the system openly laughs in their face.

Most people can identify with similar circumstance despite context and race.

Reactions: wr
I can't completely hate on that comment. You can almost say that's exactly how it is if you aren't doing something that ends up being labeled "urban", in a Tyler Perry movie, or happen to be one of the few breakout black stars.

However, most stories about slaves and slavery as a whole just have that rich evergreen value which is why Hollywood can keep going back to that well. It's about overcoming obstacles and impossible odds. When done well very poignant. I do wish instead of focusing directly on slaves sometimes they'd focus more on incidents, free individuals, and the era. I'd do films about the Draft riots in NYC, Red Summer, and the Negro Plot of 1741.

I'll check for this though. Has a great cast and Steve McQueen.

Last edited:
"Will NOT Watch...so tired of slave movies. is that the only way black people get any real film work.

Yep.  Guess how many black superhero movies there are?  (black actor as 'star") Hancock (made bank! and it was awesome and modern)  Missing any?  Sad black directors pigeon hole black actors/actresses, dress them up in rags or uniforms as slaves, maids, ghetto moms, or drug dealers w/stories that demand some sort of white apology.  Complain all you want about why people aren't interested, but the truth is movies that stir up race conflict or are race stereotypical are audience limited preventing them from major blockbuster potential.  Why don't black directors use their screen time to put black actors/actresses in glorious larger than life roles, instead of roles where they are always playing the victim?  Makes no sense.  And I doubt Brad Pitt demanded McQueen bill him as the first "star" of TYAS instead of Ejiofor even though he has a very tiny role (so I heard).  The irony...Yeah, that's it, just lie to the public and tell them Brad Pitt is all over this film (just to get people in the theaters for a film that could not stand without his name) when the film makers know his role is very tiny.  

12 Years a Slave...starring Brad Pitt???

Sounds like

"Last ***** Alive...starring Tom Hanks.
Before I knew anything about the film or who was making it I said please don't let this be one of those title that sound like it should have black ppl in it but the title is just meta.

12 Years a Slave...starring Brad Pitt???

Sounds like

"Last ***** Alive...starring Tom Hanks.

:wow: yo im calling mad controversy if they start marketing it anything other than starting chiwetel ejiofor. cuz that would be str8 disrespect :smh:

Will NOT watch.

2vkbvom.jpg

Shame was an awesome film, and Fassbender is back with him, with that cast this movie cant be short of great.

Back
Top Bottom