2 ex-Google guys secure venture capital, re-invent vending machines

programmers will always have joints despite robots. provided the scientists arent foolish enough to try and make the robots self aware and autonomous, we'll be fine.

oh you mean the same species that devised this wonderful new material called plastic that's now infused with our global water supply, changed the climate of our planet, and considered nuking the moon?

yeah, totally. we'll be fine.

I asked McDonald point-blank about whether he’s worried that the name Bodega might come off as culturally insensitive. Not really. “I’m not particularly concerned about it,” he says. “We did surveys in the Latin American community to understand if they felt the name was a misappropriation of that term or had negative connotations, and 97% said ‘no’. It’s a simple name and I think it works.”

Should've asked them how they feel about somebody using the bodega name while attempting to put bodega's out of business :stoneface:

Man. That's crazy to think but very true.

that's why this is one of my pet crusades, getting people to think about the direction of society and their role in it...because if it goes the wrong way, you won't have one.

somebody school me on the cat my g's

little corner stores are often owned by families with cats that just roam around. sort of a mascot. making their logo a cat could be seen as an extra little ****-you from the Big Bin boys.

anigif_enhanced-9457-1439753042-2.gif

I think the concept is cool, but def not a fan of taking small businesses out..this will not work

Wow.... they got some nerves to "invent" something with the intentions to close down small shops. On top of that, they name their company after these small shops. :smh:

How many of these family owned Bodegas y'all are crying about saving actually employ people from and reinvest into the community?

oh boy, now we're digging in.

I do feel you on some of the demographic realities you're bringing up, it's a fact that these establishments are owned and staffed by families, many (not all, not most) of whom come from outside the United States and set up shop in an insular fashion...I get it if you never see your local corner store crew patronizing any other neighborhood businesses and get pissed off.

it's fair to bring up that businesses who do fit that specific profile could certainly be doing more to serve and improve the communities they profit from, but:

1) these vulture capitalists sure ain't gonna be supporting the community. you can bet your balls on that.

2) many of these small independent businesses are owned by active community members, and it is up to the community to do business with those establishments as well as generally encourage a sense of entrepreneurship in its representative class.

3) crushing the businesses that are just owned by hardworking families who are doing their part damn sure isn't the answer. remember when there actually was a cashier at every register? if this happens, we'll be saying the same thing about corner stores run by humans.

oh, and the fun little addition to #3 is that if you choke off most of the little stores with these, the only ones that will survive are those actually don't do anything in the community and probably jack their prices up...after all, philanthropy doesn't tend to be profitable.

all in all, it would be fixing a scraped knee with a leg amputation.

How many of these family owned Bodegas y'all are crying about saving actually employ people from and reinvest into the community?

These aren't big businesses with with any type of significant work force.

You got papi running it in the day and Tito running it in the night. That's all you need.
Oh and you may have a chef making sandwiches but anything more than that is a crowd.

As for reinvesting, you might be really overestimating the type of business being done at bodegas.

...i swear man, smh. Just ripping soul out of the community. SoBro (smh) on the rise. That bodega machine may work if in my lobby or something but who doesn't like hittin corner stores? Even last night gettin a box on the concourse, old Spanish ladies behind counter asking if I'm old enough (yeah ok) throwin rhythm my way. That interaction.....
Nah, they won't be cancelled out

Funny that this is the reaction people have to it. It'll be like any other vending machine - there is no groundbreaking difference. This is why a lot of startups fail. To be honest I wish this is eventually what happens though. We automate so much of this sort of stuff that there are no actual jobs like this left. And (this is where my idea falls apart), instead of everyone trying to get more we go toward a life of leisure where we read books, spend time outdoors, become artistic again etc. We've lost a lot of our humanity to the endless drone of working 8-12 hours a day. Seems like people can't handle the thought of that freedom though.

Funny that this is the reaction people have to it. It'll be like any other vending machine - there is no groundbreaking difference. This is why a lot of startups fail. To be honest I wish this is eventually what happens though. We automate so much of this sort of stuff that there are no actual jobs like this left. And (this is where my idea falls apart), instead of everyone trying to get more we go toward a life of leisure where we read books, spend time outdoors, become artistic again etc. We've lost a lot of our humanity to the endless drone of working 8-12 hours a day. Seems like people can't handle the thought of that freedom though.

Where the hell are folks going to live without money to pay for an apartment or books to read in it?

They trying to take away from that Yemen money. For those that dont know, Yemens run all the bodegas coast to coast from oakland to nyc all a network of Yemen folks, thats why Prince Naseem Hamed mt fav boxer of all time still got income after retiring from boxing like 15 years now.

Back
Top Bottom