2 Words. Financial AID. vol :-O

has anybody ever gotten their aid taken away cuz of academic probation? cuz thats my case, they say i have to do an appeal but im trying to see what's the likeliness of me getting the aid reinstated

Having no financial aid at all FTL
30t6p3b.gif

alright, cuz i was really goin through some stuff. the last two semesters. im gonna do it so i can go back in the spring

where is the Joakim Noah face pic lol I know I'll be looking like that as soon as I check my balance over the phone...nothing like direct deposit

Originally Posted by BlastaMasta8

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Are yall not being claimed by parents? Is that how you get so much money back? I swear, I get NO HELP cuz my dad supposedly makes too much money & I'm being claimed by dude. Next year, things gonna change.
x2
According to them, my mom makes too much...
30t6p3b.gif
x3 Me too, which is impossible cuz my family is poor as hell 
mad.gif

frown.gif
x4 i tried to lie and said i lived somewhere else and they still said i was too rich 
tired.gif
, then they said wait till im 22-23 im gonna be 24 but im on probation about to get off after this next class tho 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

community college students should save that money until they transfer to a real school. Y'all are going to need it.

What I'm saying...smh.

My mom claims me but she has no job and almost no assets, I have no job and also almost no assets.. that might be why. Takin 10 units so I didn't even receive my full reward but its still $$$$
pimp.gif

I'm jelly. I got absolutely nothing from financial aid besides some unsubsidized loans.
One question: College cost for me is too expensive($25,000+ in-state ) and my parents don't want to pay for it, so would I be able to get grants if I claim myself as an independent who makes almost no money?

Originally Posted by VietStar

I'm jelly. I got absolutely nothing from financial aid besides some unsubsidized loans.
One question: College cost for me is too expensive($25,000+ in-state ) and my parents don't want to pay for it, so would I be able to get grants if I claim myself as an independent who makes almost no money?

YES, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think if you still live with your parents you're still a dependent. So you HAVE to put them on your FAFSA.

^ What if you live with your parents but claim independent on taxes? Folks dont claim me on their taxes either... And yeah, just paid for 29 credits out of pocket this week. SMH I haven't even bought text books either.

^School starts Aug. 25th for me.

Originally Posted by StonedFace

Originally Posted by VietStar

YES, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think if you still live with your parents you're still a dependent. So you HAVE to put them on your FAFSA.
Alright, cool. I'll probably be renting an apartment with a few buddies next year as a sophomore, so there would be no need to include my parents' info, correct?

Free money, here I come.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

EDIT: I didn't think it would be that easy to be considered an independent, so I did some quick research.

To be considered an independent, you must meet one of these criteria:
* be 24 or older
* be married
* have children or other dependents
* be a veteran of the US armed forces
* be an orphan or ward of the court
* possess a Bachelor's degree

I don't meet any of them...no free money for me.
mad.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Spoiler [+]
9472971.jpg

When I was filing out my fafsa, It said that even though I don't live my parents I had to give them my parents tax info. And it said that I have to include myself as part of my parents household even though I don't live with them. smh! I think regulations and requirements vary between each state on whether you qualify or not.

How much are you guys getting that you dont have to pay back?..Are you guys getting pell grants?.....How much is your guys income that are recieving this free money?

Originally Posted by REALTALKAZ

How much are you guys getting that you dont have to pay back?..Are you guys getting pell grants?.....How much is your guys income that are recieving this free money?

im getting 10k i dont have to pay back. pell grant which wasa 5500 and a cal grant that was about 4500.

i make about 20k a year

Originally Posted by REALTALKAZ

My first year I got like $2,000-$2,300 each semester. My second year I got like $1,500-$1,900 each semester. And this semester I'm getting about $1,100.
This is after my classes and books are paid for of course. I've gotten pell grants each year, but I've been getting less each year.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Are yall not being claimed by parents? Is that how you get so much money back? I swear, I get NO HELP cuz my dad supposedly makes too much money & I'm being claimed by dude. Next year, things gonna change.
x2
According to them, my mom makes too much...
30t6p3b.gif
This!
30t6p3b.gif

I'd LOVE to get a pell grant. $ is the only reason I'm going to a CC
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom