2001 Air Jordan 1 (I) Retro Black / Varsity Red - Soft sole question/help.

hey guys,
just bought a nds pair of the first retro 1's (black/red).
ive never owned a pair before or seen/felt them when they hit stores.
i have a feeling these are unwearable because when I press the bottoms of the soles, they are ridiculously soft and spongy! I can almost feel my 2 fingers together when pressing in from the inner sole.
is this normal? or a sign of deterioration? ive never experienced anything like this before.
the actual outer-sole (white part) is hard and feels fine.
please advise if you think i should sell-on, or if this is normal and these should be wearable.
cheers

Theyre wearable OP. I had '94s and if they were wearable then the '01s definately are. Enjoy em OP.

I'll post some pics up tomorrow.
I've been collecting shoes for a while so I generally know what to look out for but ive just never seen a sole like this before.
You can press them right in - they aren't hard like normal max's or other jordans.
Like if you stepped on a rock, they would either a) mold and contour around it, or b) the rock would go right through to your foot.
Thanks for the replies so far.

They are wearable. The AJ1 is the only model that does not crumble because of it's rubber midsole (like AF1, Dunks, Superstars etc.)
instead of the PU and phylon on the later models.
They feel spongy because most AJ1 ones use that insole. The later AJ1 retros like the USA editions released this year
have a thicker insole.

^ its not the insole that spongy, it's the bottom of the sole itself. it almost feels as though there's nothing between it and the inner sole.
if i press it hard enough, i can get it to touch the inner sole.
there's some white powder visible on the inner soles as well. im wondering if something in between has just disintegrated?

Originally Posted by drunkmonk36

^ its not the insole that spongy, it's the bottom of the sole itself. it almost feels as though there's nothing between it and the inner sole.
if i press it hard enough, i can get it to touch the inner sole.
there's some white powder visible on the inner soles as well. im wondering if something in between has just disintegrated?

1's have no reputation of crumbling since they have solid rubber midsole.

Since they're nds,you still should've asked the seller whether he played ball in them or what not to know the overall condition of the shoes.Regardless of condition  from the outside.

But it is still odd for 1's to have such problem like what you're saying.I am really intrigued. try to upload some pics for easier diagnosis.

Originally Posted by Chris316

1's have no reputation of crumbling since they have solid rubber midsole.
that's what I figured, so that's why I wanted a pair.
i did ask the seller all the necessary questions about wear/condition before buying them, and I'd looked at pictures.
he mentioned that the soles were soft and that there was some dust on the inside, but I usually take soles being soft as a good thing (not brittle and hard - likely to crack).

here's some pictures.
was kind of hard to press and take pictures at the same time but hopefully you get the idea.
pics #1 & 2 are just to show the overall condition of the soles.
pic #4 is me pressing on the bottom of the heel to show that it's soft like that the whole length of the sole.
owners of these please let me know what you think! and how they compare to yours.
cheers

This is normal on AJ1s and dunks and whatever else with this kind of rubber midsole and the pattern on the outsole. They will normally start to do this within a day of wearing the shoe, even if you were to buy a pair of aj1s released today.

Originally Posted by knife

This is normal on AJ1s and dunks and whatever else with this kind of rubber midsole and the pattern on the outsole. They will normally start to do this within a day of wearing the shoe, even if you were to buy a pair of aj1s released today.
oh, ok.
ive only ever owned other jordans (3s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 11s, 12s etc) and never worn dunks. mainly just max 90s, 1s, 95s and 97s so this is new to me!
happy to hear this is normal though!

glad to hear you're rockin them instead stocking them. Bred 1s turn lots of heads on the streets

here's some pictures.
was kind of hard to press and take pictures at the same time but hopefully you get the idea.
pics #1 & 2 are just to show the overall condition of the soles.
pic #4 is me pressing on the bottom of the heel to show that it's soft like that the whole length of the sole.
owners of these please let me know what you think! and how they compare to yours.
cheers

my 1s never did that actually..

Originally Posted by JordanFan93

my 1s never did that actually..

yeh I'm still not 100% convinced this is how they all go and it's "normal".
I can post pics tomorrow if you want, it's only on worn 1's or dunks/whatever it may be. It wouldn't happen on DS ones that aren't too old.

drunkmonk36 drunkmonk36
I know im a couple years late, but I have the exact same problem the bred 2001 soles are extremely flimsy. However, the padding on the shoe is really good correct? That's why I'm having doubts about the authenticity on my pair :frown:

Back
Top Bottom