2009 Dallas Maverick offseason post.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
I'm sayin trade Dirk...

You got any respect for dude whatsoever, put him in a position where he can get a ring... I don't see that happening here...

How close do you think this team really is? If you think it's one player, who is it? Gotta consider they'd be looking at dumping Howard plus one of Dampier/Stackhouse, and who knows whether or not Kidd will be back...

Another top flight scorer is a MUST HAVE... They've got to find someone to take the pressure of the full scoring load off Dirk if they're gonna keep him... Terry and Howard are fine, but they're #3 guys at best, IMO... Can't have those guys as your #2... Terry is too streaky, Howard is unreliable...

Do you take a shot with Iverson on a make-good deal? Does he take that deal? Do you offer Artest the MLE, depending on what else is out there for him?

I just don't see who puts this team over the top...
Underline:
laugh.gif
Oh ok.

Italics: I honestly think Dirk would be better suited as a number 2 option. For instance, Dirk + Wade =
sick.gif

Or at the very least, paired with another #2 guy who is on his level (as far as scoring). For instance, Dirk + Kevin Martin =
smh.gif

Do you think if the Heat wanted Dirk, an offer of Beas, James Jones, and Haslem would be a fair trade? (The contracts match up). I don't know if Miamiwould be willing to part with Mike. But Riley supposedly was never really enamored with him. Miami would have a lineup of Charmers, Wade, Moon, Dirk, JO'Neal. Not bad. But not championship either. So more moves (via draft and FA) would definitely have to be made. Dallas on the other hand would acquireBeasley and start the process of rebuilding.

As far as the Kings... A trade of Kenny Thomas, Nocioni, and Jason Thompson for Dirk matches up. But why would Dallas want those guys? (Thompson DOES havepotential and Nocioni is Dirk extra-lite, but still).

I don't know... I just don't like the idea of trading Dirk.
laugh.gif

He definitely needs another scorer alongside him. A pg like Carlos Arroyo who would come cheaper than Kidd and can do the same job as Kidd + a bonafideslashing/scoring SG or SF is all Dallas needs.

GET RID OF JOSH!!!

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by hole in the earth

lol at you guys wanting t-mac here in Big D...id rather have Shaq than him
I would too, but I don't want Shaq unless Kidd is here too.

That's a lot of money.
Why is it a lot of money? I can't imagine Kidd is gonna get any kind of serious contract, whether it's here or on the open market...

I want no parts of Tracy McGrady... That's not the kinda guy we need...
I don't know, I just think there will be SOME team out there that will throw him a lot of money simply for the fact that he's Jason Kidd.How much do you expect him be getting? I don't see anything less than 10 million, honestly. I mean we let go of Nash for just a few million more than that.Plus if we bring in Shaq somehow, that's another 20 million, at the VERY least, that's 25 million in contracts, whether we sign Kidd short-term orlong-term.

If we could pry Scola away with Tracy, I'm all for it.

Avery back? Get the hell out of here!
laugh.gif
. The only reason we might've rebounded better is because we had some bigger bodies. We rebounded fine, we justfaced a team who had a great front court, that's not our problem, that's their own goodness.
laugh.gif

I'm with you SHUGHES, I hold onto Dirk as long as possible, unless we can get the first pick and a good player along with him.

Josh is first on the trading block, and you TRY and package Dampier with him IMO and get some second-rate Center who's long, like Dalembert, or Battie IMO.

I want Harris back. I think trading that youth and talent was one of the worst moves Cuban has made lately. J Kidd is the man, but a this point, I think keepinHarris woulda been a better investment.

I want Avery back too. Or at least for Carlisle to implement some type of defensive pride on Dallas. They need some good rebounders and hussle players.

Barea Holdin it down for NEU!! I never woulda expected him to go to my fav team.

Dump the enitre team besdies Dirk and Bass...maybe keep Howard too...but we need a Center and playmaking PG

I will say dirk shut me up in the playoffs. i went at it all season with Dirk and Japanair about him been a soft bum and he balled all year he is still softand a choker but that ant the point now
laugh.gif
but i dont see how u keep himif u want to start over

My thing is there is nothing out there FA or trade wise that can turn the mavs around and help them make a run for the title next year. signing sheed,AI,BG ormarion wont help this time and trading for bum $#* tmac would be even worse

IMO there is no point in been a middle of the road team just to make the playoffs and be out 1st or 2nd round. this is also the PREFECT time to rebuild in thewest because it ant the strong and a few other teams will have to go down that road(NO,spurs,suns and some what houston)

maybe get lucky and say a team like the wiz win the lottery and since they need and have players to win NOW trade Dirk for the number 1 pick(dont work cap wisebut throw players in there)

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

maybe get lucky and say a team like the wiz win the lottery and since they need and have players to win NOW trade Dirk for the number 1 pick(dont work cap wise but throw players in there)

eek.gif
Blake! I like the way you'rethinking...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

maybe get lucky and say a team like the wiz win the lottery and since they need and have players to win NOW trade Dirk for the number 1 pick(dont work cap wise but throw players in there)

eek.gif
Blake! I like the way you're thinking...
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
, I knew you'd pop a boner after seeing that,
smh.gif

I don't think ANY team would trade away Blake, honestly. Unless it's the Kings.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Mavs cant trade Dirk because they will never get equal value for him. Plus you dont trade a top 5-10 player in the league.

I Have audio from Dirk, Kidd, J-Ho, JET, Barea, and Singleton at today's exit interviews on my blog if anyone is interested. Dirk talks about the season, Kidd on his future, Josh on his ankles, etc....

http://http://angrytrey.blogspot.com/2009/05/mavs-exit-interviewsend-of-road.html
Will give a listen after this game, thanks Trey.

How was the attitude in the locker room? I'm sure they were all pretty bummed and sad not to be playing another game, but were they positive about things?

How safe do you think Rick's job is?

I want Shaq. Maybe Phoenix so broke they take Damp+Stack's contract+cash. It would save them about 8 million plus Shaq is going to want out. It'splausible.

Then you flip Josh+Shawne Williams contract for Richard Jefferson. No way Milwaukee can keep their payroll that high with Sessions needing a new deal.

Then you draft the best PG at your spot in the draft. Patty Mills, Jrue Holiday I'd be happy with either.

Then you have the MLE to find another swing.

Me I would throw the MLE at Shawn Marion and if that falls threw I try to split it between Rodney Carney and McDyess.

All of this is plausible HOWEVER if we go into the season with no changes. THEN I say blow it up because Dirk is going to walk in 10.

I also would consider bring Quis back with the MLE.

Also do whatever it take to bring back Bass and Hollins within reason.

trade dirk.......................................................to the raptors......................for joey graham.

Just got done listening to that post-game interview, sounds real tough for Dirk, but I still believe he's going to finish as a Maverick.

I say trade everybody and start fresh. Just keep the cheap and.or young guys like Green, Bass, and Hollins. Turn Dirk into as many 1st rd picks as you can.

The thing about being a Mavs fan, is you really have no hope of future to look forward to. I mean, you know 50 wins every yr and at least make the playoffs,but what prospects of improvement do we really have? You can play the "this team just needs experience together" card in favor of sticking with whatwe got, but that still neglects to mention the fact damn near this whole team is 30+

As a part time Thunder fan, hell yea we sucked and lost like a record breaking amount of games I don't know, but you could still be excited watching Green,Durant, and Westbrook as a young core and knowing they have nothing but upside

Mavs cant trade Dirk because they will never get equal value for him. Plus you dont trade a top 5-10 player in the league.

I Have audio from Dirk, Kidd, J-Ho, JET, Barea, and Singleton at today's exit interviews on my blog if anyone is interested. Dirk talks about the season, Kidd on his future, Josh on his ankles, etc....

http://http://angrytrey.blogspot.com/2009/05/mavs-exit-interviewsend-of-road.html

How was the attitude in the locker room? I'm sure they were all pretty bummed and sad not to be playing another game, but were they positive about things?

1. They obviously weren't happy, but they didnt seem super bummed out. I think as a NBA player you learn to deal with those things better,especially with a veteran player like Dirk, Kidd, etc..

2. I think Rick's job is totally safe. At least for this upcoming season.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

I think you will have to use the MLE for Bass if you want to keep him.

Just got done listening to that post-game interview, sounds real tough for Dirk, but I still believe he's going to finish as a Maverick.
So do I.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

The thing about being a Mavs fan, is you really have no hope of future to look forward to.
My thing is, if the Celtics can have an off season like they did to build their current team, why cant the Mavs? I am not necessarily saying thisoff season, but with an owner like Cuban, you never know.

1. They obviously weren't happy, but they didnt seem super bummed out. I think as a NBA player you learn to deal with those things better, especially with a veteran player like Dirk, Kidd, etc..

2. I think Rick's job is totally safe. At least for this upcoming season.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

I think you will have to use the MLE for Bass if you want to keep him.

So do I.

The thing about being a Mavs fan, is you really have no hope of future to look forward to.
My thing is, if the Celtics can have an off season like they did to build their current team, why cant the Mavs? I am not necessarily saying this off season, but with an owner like Cuban, you never know.

Because when have the Mavs ever landed a big name free agent? Trades, possible but like someone said above, we don't really seem to be 1 move away. If youcould get Shaq for something like Damp and Stackhouse, would love it, but why would any1 else do such a trade? The Mavs drafting history is atrocious (Pavel?),so there's really no hope there. You and I both know they'll draft some obscure tall jumpshooting non-athletic non-defensive Euro who will never comeover anyways.

Martyn Panskovic. I just made that name up, don't know if he really exists, but if he does we're drafting him, guarantee it. And I'm calling itahead of time, bust!

I really think if we FINALLY had a good, consistent big in the middle it could do wonders for this team. That's such a gaping hole we've had in ourfranchise for the past ten seasons.

Quick, name the best Center Dirk Nowitzki has had around him, and I don't mean Chris Kaman in the Olympics.

Hell, I haven't even been a Mavs fan LONG enough to even remember back before when we had a good center who was consistent and could contribute. Maybe inKidd's first reign, but I was too young back then.

We've always had the swingmen, a good PG, and Dirk, but if we don't have frontcourt (and frontcourt back-ups), then we're going no where fast. MOSTchampionship teams have good, dominant big men.

Past 10 years... Shaq with LA, Shaq with the Heat, KG, Tim Duncan (low post threat), Ben Wallace. No matter who wins this year, they're going to have adominant post-presence (unless somehow it's the Celtic's without KG or the Rockets, but neither team is going to the Finals). It'll be a goodfrontcourt, who's backcourt can rely on those guys.

That's something we've NEVER had. We've had Dirk, and that's it. Dirk played his damn HEART OUT this last series, battling in the paint,getting to the line, but he has NO kind of help down there. Bass is AWESOME, but he's about 2-3 inches too short, and if Rick is going to play small, youplay small and get Dampier the hell out of the starting line-up. We could go with Hollins, but he's very frail and although athletic, he'd get pushedaround. I'd be in favor of him starting over Dampier, but Dampier is a bigger body, but hell at least Hollins can catch a basketball.

This team is doomed until we get some frontcourt help, and Dampier, Bass, and Hollins is not the answer. Bass is good, but only as a back-up, unless you wantto go big and run him at the three (which is something I've wanted, Josh moving down to the two, and Bass going down to three, Dirk @ 4, and a big @ 5).

Who would work? Anybody you could name, short of maybe Shaq, Gasol, or Duncan, still wouldn't have been enough last series. The main problem with ourcenters is nobody can keep their own man in front of them. When Damp only has to focus on guarding his own man, he's one of the best defenders in theleague on traditional post centers, seriously.

But when the other team's 2 guard is blowing by Terry and getting into the paint and Damp steps up for the block or to stop penetration, then there'san easy dropoff pass to whoever Damp was guarding for the dunk, makes it look like "Damn, Damp is getting killed. [The other center] has 14."

So you're left with him being late trying to get back to his own man because he stepped up to help a team mate and he gets roasted. So next time down,maybe he doesn't step up at all and Chris Paul gets all the way to the rim for a layup because Damp was hugged up on Chandler. Or maybe Damp does go andalters the shot, forces a miss, putback dunk by whoever Damp was guarding.

The better defense the perimeter guys play, the better of a player Damp is, or any center really.

Although I can't defend his lack of rebounding this series, this really wasn't a Damp series. This was a Hollins series. A Pops Mensah Bonsu, DonnellHarvey, Eduardo Najera, series.

I don't get why Singleton didn't get more minutes though, was he hurt or something?

Who would work? Anybody you could name, short of maybe Shaq, Gasol, or Duncan, still wouldn't have been enough last series. The main problem with our centers is nobody can keep their own man in front of them. When Damp only has to focus on guarding his own man, he's one of the best defenders in the league on traditional post centers, seriously.

But when the other team's 2 guard is blowing by Terry and getting into the paint and Damp steps up for the block or to stop penetration, then there's an easy dropoff pass to whoever Damp was guarding for the dunk, makes it look like "Damn, Damp is getting killed. [The other center] has 14."

So you're left with him being late trying to get back to his own man because he stepped up to help a team mate and he gets roasted. So next time down, maybe he doesn't step up at all and Chris Paul gets all the way to the rim for a layup because Damp was hugged up on Chandler. Or maybe Damp does go and alters the shot, forces a miss, putback dunk by whoever Damp was guarding.

The better defense the perimeter guys play, the better of a player Damp is, or any center really.

Although I can't defend his lack of rebounding this series, this really wasn't a Damp series. This was a Hollins series. A Pops Mensah Bonsu, Donnell Harvey, Eduardo Najera, series.

I don't get why Singleton didn't get more minutes though, was he hurt or something?
No I totally understand that, but Dampier has no business being out there for 20 minutes a game when we could have other big men who can catch theball, and not turn it over. Dude had 2 turnovers per game, unacceptable. 15 points in the entire series? only two blocks? Nene was out there doing his thingand he's more of a traditional Center (although he DOES have a bit of a midrange jumper). The difference between Dampier and bigs like Nene, if theperimeter defenders DON'T do their job, guys like Andersen or Nene wouldn't allow much penetration outside of Dirk and Barea on occasion. But whenDampier was in, they were going in on us at WILL. Nene absolutely killed us when hew as in Denver. I know a lot of those points were off fast-break points, buthe averaged over 20 points in Denver, unacceptable from him IMO.

Dampier IS good when he has to guard slow, sluggish, traditional Centers or big men, but the problem is, there aren't many of those type of Centersanymore. Dampier is only good as a back-up like Diop was. We need athletic bigs, versatile bigs (and I don't mean like Dirk), bigs that can run the floorand bang it.

I was begging for Singleton to get more play, I liked what I saw the first three games, but he just didn't get anymore PT.

Back
Top Bottom