2009 Denver Nuggets Off-Season thread - 9/25: Joey Graham signed

The Nuggets came out of the '09 Draft with one player, and I could not be happier with who they added!

aa7zfl.jpg

Pretty good read on SI about the Nuggets off-season:
[h1]Nuggets' future paved with hard decisions and lots ofdollars[/h1]

Second week of June, the rest of the NBA bunkering down for the draft, and Mark Warkentien, the Nuggets vice president of basketballoperations, is at a Harvard Law seminar on negotiating. That's all anybody needs to know about how important the Denver big bosses consider this free-agentsummer.

Even if the internal decision was to stay quiet and say little, or nothing in this case, before July 1 about the market strategy, Warkentien's unusualtravel schedule was a blaring statement. This is a huge moment for the organization, one of the biggest offseasons in Nuggets history, and executives need tostrike with precision in a series of contract talks that will determine whether they will remain in the lead pack in the Western Conference with the Lakers andSpurs or fall back.

All at once, Chris Andersen is unrestricted, Dahntay Jones is unrestricted and Linas Kleiza is restricted. That's merely the starting shooting guard (Jones)and two critical reserves. Based on conversations with league sources, the Nuggets are expected to push to re-sign all three and keep the core of a conferencefinalist intact. Reserve point guard Anthony Carter is anotherunrestricted free agent, but his chances of returning were dealt a blow with the draft-night trade that landed fleet point guard Ty Lawsonwith the 18th pick.

It gets better. Really stepping out on the financial tightrope, more high risk than ever in such an unforgiving economy, it appears the Nuggets are preparedto offer major raises to their own three players and aggressively try to attract outside free agents.

Ron Artest will almost certainly get a phone call. He's anatural small forward, just like someone named Carmelo Anthony, butthe Nuggets spent enough time chasing Artest in trade proposals that it's impossible to imagine that they'll get shy now. Besides, if Denver does getout-bid for Jones, whose stock is at a career high after a 2008-09 of major contributions, it can pursue Ron-Ron for shooting guard.

Grant Hill will get a call. The Nuggets openly beamed lastseason about the arrival of Chauncey Billups changing thelocker-room culture from dysfunctional to focused through his leadership, his championship experience and his citizenship, beyond the tangible impact ofBillups the point guard. They want more good-guy influence. That means Hill.

Michael Finley will get a call, if he opts out. Same reason.

Hill will be the interesting case. His consistent message last season was a desire to re-sign with the Suns for a final push with Steve Nash, Shaquille O'Neal and Amar'eStoudemire under new coach Alvin Gentry, except that these obviously aren't those Suns anymore. There is no final push. TheNuggets, and other title hopefuls that will approach for the same reason in a great compliment to Hill's standing in the league, can pitch the certainty ofplayoff money Phoenix cannot, plus the chance to have a meaningful voice behind the scenes.

Further enticing, Hill shot 52.3 percent in '08-09, averaged 12 points and 4.9 rebounds at small forward, and logged 29.8 minutes per game while playingall 82 and starting 68 at age 36. The Nuggets aren't interested in a potted plant to just look pretty in the corner.

That owner Stan Kroenke is willing to pay the luxury tax is nothing new -- Denver began last season on course for the dollar-for-dollarhit, and those Nuggets were careening toward irrelevance. A series of moves eventually got them away from the financial hit, most notably the same acquisitionof Billups and Antonio McDyess for Allen Iverson that changed the direction of the team on the court, but he appearsready to spend big after the joy ride of '08-09.

Desire and deep pockets won't ward off competition, though.

Teams will come at Andersen the hardest. He is a very active big man willing to play a role, a reserve power forward who resurrected a career once derailedby substance abuse. The first full season back in the league after the suspension, playing in Denver for the minimum, the Birdman finished second in the NBA inblocked shots in just 20.6 minutes per game.

No way the Nuggets lose him. Signing Anderson last offseason, with the drug issue at the forefront, was a tough call and done only after a lot ofconversation. He's their investment. Not merely an integral part of a 54-win club, not just a great teammate, not simply an energy burst few front-courtsubstitutes in the entire league can match; keeping Anderson is practically personal to Denver.

Kleiza is restricted, and so the Nuggets have an obvious advantage to retain him, as well.

Jones is the greatest uncertainty among the three Denver will fight hardest to keep. His physical defense at shooting guard earned praise, is coming off thesecond-best showing from the field (45.8 percent) in six seasons in the NBA, and is just 28 years old. After pinballing around this league and the D-League,the summer of '09 is Jones' money moment. At the same time, the Nuggets have J.R. Smith as a safety net if Jones goes, and Smithaveraged 27.7 minutes a game primarily as a reserve compared to the 18.1 of Jones while mostly in the opening lineup.

Keeping all three is possible and probably even the hope. If it isn't to be, Hill is an intriguing and realistic alternative, Finley as well. Artest,while a long shot, is ever-present because he and the Nuggets have a history. Turns out the Denver thrill ride didn't end in the West finals after all.

-- Scott Howard-Cooper

It's a tragedy that Chauncey saved GK's *+#. I can't wait to see what the final roster looks like for the season. The Nuggets really screwedthemselves financially with the huge contracts given to Nene and Martin. And I don't see why Steven Hunter would give up a guaranteed 3+ Million out of thekindness of his heart. Which is a shame because Birdman deserves that money. Jason Hart and AC can come off the books. Kleiza was pretty much insignificantlast season. Johann Petro could contribute if the Nuggets had a coach that knew how used him before the last 3 minutes of the game.

My biggest hope is that Melo will be healthy ALL season. He gets to rest this summer so he should be refreshed. Chauncey having a chance to hold training campwith the squad will only help the team chemistry. And I'm pretty sure Chauncey will be able to help keep Melo from having any off-court incidents thisseason. Let's hope he can do the same for JR Smith and help him mature even more.

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Originally Posted by Derrock

Can't wait to see what Ty Lawson can do for the team next season
Same here, I just hope he doesn't get stuck on the pine.
If he can't win a spot over Anthony Carter then he deserves to be stuck on the pine. It's been said that Karl has a bias towards UNCalumni (which should serve to balance out his typical bias against younger players), so Lawson should get a fair shot. If he is able to show he is an upgradeover Carter then he couldn't ask for a better mentor in Chauncey.

[h1]Denver guardJ.R. Smith gets 30 days in jail[/h1]
Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:28pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith was sentenced to 30 days in jail after pleading guilty to reckless driving in an accident that killed a friend and injured two other people, a court official said.

Judge Debra Gelson of the Millstone Municipal Court in New Jersey sentenced Smith to 90 days with 60 days suspended on Tuesday and ordered him to perform 500 hours of community service with sick children in hospitals, the official said.

Smith, 23, who is in the off-season, averaged a career-high 15.2 points per game as a part-time starter. He played in 81 of the Nuggets' 82 games in the 2008-09 season, his fifth in the NBA.

The accident in June 2007 killed Smith's friend, Andre Bell, 21, after Smith drove through a stop sign and collided with another car. Smith, another passenger in his car and a woman driving the other car were injured.

"We will continue to support J.R. during this difficult period and will have no further comment at this time," Mark Warkentien, the Nuggets vice president of basketball operations, said in a statement.

(Reporting by Daniel Trotta; Editing by Bill Trott)

Man if We would have been able to keep Marcus Camby we would have been in the finals...We need another big with defense

Originally Posted by Thousandaire

Man if We would have been able to keep Marcus Camby we would have been in the finals...We need another big with defense
You wouldn't have gotten Billups though.

Right...McDyess would have been a difference maker if they had kept him from that trade though. I still don't understand why they didn't keep him, Ibelieve they still had to pay him

Originally Posted by Thousandaire

Right...McDyess would have been a difference maker if they had kept him from that trade though. I still don't understand why they didn't keep him, I believe they still had to pay him
Dyess only wanted to play for Detroit. He lives there, and I think he still has ill feelings towards Denver since the last time he was traded fromthere.

[h1]Nuggets, Andersen working on deal[/h1]By Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post

Posted: 07/01/2009 10:02:38 AM MDT

Updated: 07/01/2009 11:18:49 AM MDT

The negotiations between Chris Andersen and the Nuggets have begun. Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien is currently in Los Angeles, meeting with Andersen's representatives, notably Denver-based attorney Mark Bryant and agent Steve Huemann of the Los Angeles-based Creative Arts Agency.

Bryant said the goal is to try to get Andersen a five-year deal around the mid-level exception (in the $5 million range annually).

"I think that's possible. But we're a team player," Bryant said this morning. "We'll make the necessary adjustments if we can and find the right fit."

There are numerous teams inquiring about the NBA's No. 2 shot-blocker from last season, notably Houston, which has all-star center Yao Ming shelved indefinitely, as well as Dallas, Portland and Memphis. But Andersen, who lived in Denver during his two-year banishment for drug abuse, adores the city of Denver and has publicly said he wants to return home.

And the Nuggets' top priority this summer is locking down the reserve center, who bolstered the bench during the playoff run to the Western Conference Finals.

"We really respect what's gone on in Denver," said Bryant, who pointed to the selling of the second-round draft pick as a clear sign that Denver is trying to gather money to pay Andersen. "We really love the management, we really love coach (George) Karl. And maybe on the top of the list is the town - that town loves this kid, and he loves them."

A free agent can't officially sign with a team until July 8 and, "It's open season," as Bryant said, "but I think realistically, we could find our range in the first week of July, that would be nice. That would be one of the (situations) - we respect you, you respect us, here it is, let's do this."

Bryant said it's possible Andersen could get an aggregate deal, and the Nuggets, who are currently near the luxury-tax line before signing a single free agent, would hope to backload Andersen's contract - and possibly give him an extra year - if it means reducing the amount of money Andersen makes next season (at the end of each season, any dollar a team is above the luxury-tax line has to be matched by the team and paid to the league).

Footnotes. The agent for guard Dahntay Jones, Mark Bartelstein, said "it's too soon to tell" if Jones will be back with Denver. The free agent played excellent defense for much of the season, but also is interested in a multi-year deal. ... An NBA source said the Nuggets are interested in Phoenix veteran Grant Hill, who could be a get at a contract around $3 million a year, though there are other teams interested in the services of the former all-star.

Benjamin Hochman: 303-954-1294 or bhochman@denverpost.com

NBA Free Agency Begins - CBSSports.com

The Nuggets also have long coveted Wallace, who nearly went to Denver before the team acquired Kenyon Martin in 2004. But according to a person familiar with the discussions, the Nuggets were meeting with Portland restricted free agent Channing Frye as the clock struck midnight ET. Nobody does more with less than the Nuggets, who would benefit from Frye's pick-and-pop ability without breaking the bank.

Frye is a potential steal. He's tall, athletic (doesn't put it to good use though) and can hit jump shots. If he can gain ANY type of toughness beingaround Nene, Birdman and KMart he will do well as a back up.

And he is not restricted. The Blazers did not give him a qualifying offer.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Frye is a potential steal. He's tall, athletic (doesn't put it to good use though) and can hit jump shots. If he can gain ANY type of toughness being around Nene, Birdman and KMart he will do well as a back up.

And he is not restricted. The Blazers did not give him a qualifying offer.
Good catch.

I've always like Frye's game, and I really hope the Nuggets can land him for cheap.

Frye would be a good look

I'd rather have Jones than Hill

hope we resign Kleiza and he gets more PT

I could do without Kleiza, I really don't see whats so special about him. I think dudes just giving him props for that 40 point game he had a while back. Iknow for damn sure that when Sacramento offered Ron Artest for Kleiza, Denver damn sure should have taken the deal.

Did you see Kleiza in the playoffs??? He can shoot, rebound and attack the rim if youcloseout. All he needs is PT his game will speak for itself.

Artest
laugh.gif

I hope Denver doesn't give Karl an extension
nerd.gif

[h1]There's only one No. 7 in Colorado - and it's not Chauncey[/h1]
Posted: 07/02/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Updated: 07/02/2009 07:30:09 AM MDT

PARKER - One by one, the kids at Parker Fieldhouse strode to the table where a Chauncey Billups autograph awaited them on Wednesday. Close examination revealed that Billups' beard isn't the only new thing about the Nuggets leader.

Billups signed some of the autographs "Chauncey Billups #1" - the new number on his Nuggets jersey next season. The superstar guard is letting go of No. 7, which was good to him last season in his return to Denver.

Billups chose No. 7 as a tribute to former Broncos quarterback John Elway, a man he idolized growing up in Denver. Elway introduced Billups to the Pepsi Center crowd on May 3, prior to a Nuggets-Mavericks playoff game.

"It was in the plan the whole time," Billups said. "I just felt like No. 7 was great for me. . . . But there's really just going to be just one No. 7 in this town, and that's going to be John forever. I just wanted to kind of try to make my own legacy."

Billups was able to get No. 1, which he wore in Detroit, without much trouble. J.R. Smith wore No. 1 the last few seasons, but Billups said he did not have to pay Smith off - as is a common practice - to get the jersey. No word yet on which number Smith will wear.

The No. 1 has deep meaning for Billups.

"The real significance of No. 1 is, I felt like when I went to Detroit, at the time it was my sixth team, and I had one more chance to become a star. I had a few chances, didn't succeed.

"And so, that's why I chose No. 1. So, every time I look down, I can never get satisfied. I can never get complacent. Because when I look down and see that No. 1, I remind myself that this is it."

Chris Dempsey, The Denver Post

2009 Summer League Roster

[table][tr][td]No.[/td] [td]Player[/td] [td]Pos.[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Wt.[/td] [td]Birthdate[/td] [td]School/Country[/td] [td]Exp.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]Derrick Byars[/td] [td]G/F[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]220[/td] [td]4/25/84[/td] [td]Vanderbilt[/td] [td]R[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]Ronald Dupree[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]209[/td] [td]1/26/81[/td] [td]LSU[/td] [td]5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]C.J. Giles[/td] [td]F/C[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]240[/td] [td]9/25/85[/td] [td]Oregon State[/td] [td]R[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]Richard Hendrix[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]255[/td] [td]11/15/86[/td] [td]Alabama[/td] [td]R[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]Coby Karl[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]215[/td] [td]3/6/83[/td] [td]Boise State[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]Ty Lawson[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]5-11[/td] [td]195[/td] [td]11/3/87[/td] [td]North Carolina[/td] [td]R[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]Kareem Rush[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]215[/td] [td]10/30/80[/td] [td]Missouri[/td] [td]6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]Cedric Simmons[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]235[/td] [td]1/3/86[/td] [td]North Carolina State[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]Sonny Weems[/td] [td]G/F[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]203[/td] [td]7/8/86[/td] [td]Arkansas[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom