2010 IIHF Hockey World Juniors Championships - Team USA are Champions

[h3]I didn't see a thread for this topic, so I thought we might as well get one going for those hockey loversout there. I am, by no means, a fan of the game. But, considering its in my hometown (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan), I thought it would be a nice touch. Below isthe schedule, along with the pools for the tournament. I cant find the TV schedule for where it would be accessible in the states (all are on TSN forCanada).[/h3]Merry Christmas to you and yours NT.

Pool A
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
canada.gif
Canada
Latvia.gif
Latvia
FLAG_slovakia.png
Slovakia
cheap-calling-to-switzerland-flag.jpg
Switzerland
dbi_flag_usa.gif
USA

Pool B
austria.gif
Austria
czech-flag.jpg
Czech Republic
finland.gif
Finland
Russia.gif
Russia
Sweden.gif
Sweden

Schedule

[h3]December 26[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Czech Republic vs. Sweden[/td] [td]2pm/11am[/td] [td]1-10
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Canada vs. Latvia[/td] [td]3:30pm/12:30pm[/td] [td]0-16
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Russia vs. Austria[/td] [td]6pm/3pm[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]USA vs. Slovakia[/td] [td]8pm/5pm[/td] [td]7-3[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]December 27[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Austria vs. Sweden[/td] [td]2pm/11am[/td] [td]3-7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]USA vs. Switzerland[/td] [td]4pm/1pm[/td] [td]3-0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Czech Republic vs. Finland[/td] [td]6pm/3pm[/td] [td]3-4
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Latvia vs. Slovakia[/td] [td]8pm/5pm[/td] [td]3-8[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]December 28[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Canada vs. Switzerland[/td] [td]4pm/1pm[/td] [td]6-0
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Finland vs. Russia[/td] [td]6pm/3pm[/td] [td]0-2[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]December 29[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Austria vs. Czech Republic[/td] [td]2pm/11am[/td] [td]1-7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Latvia vs. United States[/td] [td]4pm/1pm[/td] [td]1-12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sweden vs. Russia[/td] [td]6pm/3pm[/td] [td]4-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Canada vs. Slovakia[/td] [td]8pm/5pm[/td] [td]8-2[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]December 30[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Finland vs. Austria[/td] [td]2pm/11am[/td] [td]10-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Switzerland vs. Latvia[/td] [td]4pm/1pm[/td] [td]7-5[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]December 31[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Sweden vs. Finland[/td] [td]2pm/11am[/td] [td]7-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Switzerland vs. Slovakia[/td] [td]4pm/1pm[/td] [td]4-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Russia vs. Czech Republic[/td] [td]6pm/3pm[/td] [td]5-2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]United States vs. Canada[/td] [td]8pm/5pm[/td] [td]4 - 5 (SO)[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]January 2[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Relegation - Slovakia vs. Austria[/td] [td]1pm/10am[/td] [td]3-2
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Quarterfinal - Russia vs. Switzerland[/td] [td]5pm/2pm[/td] [td]2-3 (OT)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Quarterfinal - United States vs. Finland[/td] [td]9pm/6pm[/td] [td]6-2[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]January 3[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Relegation - Czech Republic vs. Latvia[/td] [td]1pm/10am[/td] [td]10-2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Semifinal - Canada vs. Switzerland[/td] [td]5pm/2pm[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Semifinal - Sweden vs. USA[/td] [td]9pm/6pm[/td] [td]5-2[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]January 4[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Relegation - Slovakia vs. Czech Republic[/td] [td]1pm/10am[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Relegation - Austria vs. Latvia[/td] [td]5pm/2pm[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5th Place Game - Russia vs. Finland[/td] [td]9pm/6pm[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]January 5[/h3][table][tr][th=""]MATCHUP[/th] [th=""]TIME (ET/PT)[/th] [th=""]SCORE[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Switzerland vs. Sweden[/td] [td]4pm/1pm[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Canada vs. USA[/td] [td]8pm/5pm[/td] [td]-

[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]Standings (After December 31)
[/h3][h3]Group A[/h3][table][tr][th=""]Team[/th] [th=""]W[/th] [th=""]OTW[/th] [th=""]OTL[/th] [th=""]L[/th] [th=""]GF[/th] [th=""]GA[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Canada[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]11
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]United States[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]10[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Switzerland[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Slovakia[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Latvia[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0
[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]Group B[/h3][table][tr][th=""]Team[/th] [th=""]W[/th] [th=""]OTW[/th] [th=""]OTL[/th] [th=""]L[/th] [th=""]GF[/th] [th=""]GA[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Sweden[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Russia[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Finland[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Czech Republic
[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austria[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][/table]

pimp.gif
stand up canada!

taylor hall, nasim kadri, jordan eberle and them boys about to put the hurt on latvia tonight. ryan ellis as usual should be the key on the defense, petrangelohas looked allright too. can't wait for the game tonight, lets go!

If that goal with 2 seconds left in the second wasnt a kick to the groin, I dont know what was.

pimp.gif

Nice to see ya ATFK. I knew you would pop in at some point
laugh.gif

What channel are these games shown in south of the border?

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
.... haven't seen you in the NHL thread in a while...
nerd.gif

Some of the games are shown on NHL network.... I'm gonna see if I could stream them online too.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
.... haven't seen you in the NHL thread in a while...
nerd.gif

Some of the games are shown on NHL network.... I'm gonna see if I could stream them online too.
Sounds good.

And you know me. I dont come in the NHL thread until playoff time. Only time that really matters for them Red Wings
pimp.gif

Oh the irony in that statement, the one year in the past ten that they dont start out well out of the gate
laugh.gif

Good to hear though. Glad you guys could get these games down there. Your predictions on team USA this year?

Man, why even bother having this tournament? Look at the list of winners...
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...0_Championship_medalists

-Canada with 12 wins in the past 20 years
-USSR/Russia with 4
-Czechs with 2
-USA with 1
-Finland with 1

Lack of parity FTMFL.

It's like women's hockey where Canada or the U.S. win 100% of the time.

And this tourny is in Canada every 2-3 yrs because no one else cares about hosting it. It's gonna be in Canada again in 2012.

On the other hand, hockey in the winter olympics is 100x better because it's a complete toss-up as to who wins the Gold every 4 years.

So in other words, I could wait another 20 years to go to the World Juniors again in Saskatoon?
laugh.gif

Agreed though. Canada has dominated this tournament in the past 20 years or so. Going for six in a row... Only USSR in the 70's had more from what Iremember. Then again, I didnt look at the link, so correct me if im wrong.

Thread update:

Went to the USA Switzerland game today. Holy god both goalies are STUDS, specifically the Swiss netminder. Both teams played great. USA came out to a slowstart again today, but was the superior team in the latter half of the second, and all of the third. Should be a good matchup on new years eve. But, look outfor the Swiss. Those boys skate hard, and play a physical game.

Sweden also looks pretty good today too. Either way, this tournament is going to be alot closer than people think.

^they really peppered the swiss goalie hey? props to him for only letting in 3 for what, almost 50 shots on goal?

how many games are you planning on going to?

Originally Posted by Physicx

^they really peppered the swiss goalie hey? props to him for only letting in 3 for what, almost 50 shots on goal?

how many games are you planning on going to?

Only that one. Prices are 60 odd bucks a ticket for the high end of bowl. Not only that, but its suuuuuuper packed in there. Only tickets left are the upperbowl, especially for Canada v USA games. But yeah, the Swiss goalie had to stand on his head all game. Not surprised he had a rough start to the game today.

What are these green uniforms?

This is a loooooooooong story. So heres my attempt at the short version.

Two years ago, when prepping for the tournament, the organizing committee here in the province wanted to do something to stand out apart from any other worldjuniors tournament there was. The only idea that was brought to the table was the green color of the tournament. All of the merchandise (which I spent wayyyytoo much money on) has a green base on it.

Reason why is because of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. And I kid you not. In Saskatchewan, the color green means something more than just a color. The onlyprofessional sports team we have is the Riders (CFL for those who dont know). I dont know how to compare what the Roughriders mean to this province tosomething that the states have. I would say Yankee fans, etc... But the Saskatchewan Roughriders are more than just a football team. Its an entire province,coming together, to support the one thing that we have been supporting since we have ever known. Its one of those things that if you are from Saskatchewan, youare a riders fan. If you go to Calgary, you still cheer for them. You go to damn near Montreal, you still cheer for them...

Anyway, back to my whole story about the green jerseys. The idea was brought up, talked about a bit back and forth, and so they thought going above and beyondusing the green color as the color of the tournament, to bringing it into team Canada for a bit. Since there have been exhibition games in Prince Albert, SwiftCurrent, North Battleford, and Yorkton (I think), the entire province has gotten involved to some extent. Its not just a Saskatoon/Regina tournament; everySaskatchewan person has some involvement, just like the Roughriders. Hence, bringing in the green jerseys. And you would not believe the impact its had here intown. Everybody has one. They sold out the first two days they are available, and the only jerseys they will have is on January 4th, when the new shipmentcomes in.

Hope that answers your question.

Eh O Canada Go!

Today was the first time I heard this chant... Apparently Pepsi hired someone to start chants at the game. Yes, hired someone to start a chant. Mannn......

Tomorrow should be interesting

2-0
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Only Canadians care about this nonsense.

Oh really?... I guess this means I don't care. Thanks for letting me know.
You know what I mean.
eyes.gif

For the most part, I think I'm right most countries don't seem to take this as seriously Canadians seem to think it is. I mean people here, for someunknown reason think this tournament is a serious thing.

Canada began this tournament like 42-0 or some nonsense, I think it's really really ridiculous how big of a deal this thing is here like this 5 in a rowstreak is important on any level.
laugh.gif

42-1. I remember Pierre saying that we lost one game in the past five years.

I dont know why either, but I do enjoy the hype as a Canadian
laugh.gif

Man, this town is buzzzzzzing about the USA Canada game tomorrow night. Tomorrow is going to have some real good games. The Swiss Slovakia game decides third,Canada USA decides first, Sweden Finland decides first, and Russia Czech is a big enough rivalry as it is. Its going to be exciting tomorrow.

As for the games last night, my goodness we played undisciplined hockey. Even though we were up big early, no need to get as chippy as we got. We cant playlike that against the states.

I know tonight is new years and all, but no comment on the game?

I ran into a few USA fans at the after party tonight after the game, and man, I was honest with them. No way in hell did Canada deserve to win after the firsttwo periods. My hats go off to the US team, they played a hell of a game, and if they did win, I would have no reason to be angry at them. I honestly hope tosee the states in the final against Canada, because that would be a fitting end to such a great finish to the round robin. Two great teams tonight, where thegame should have been tied considering all things.

Good luck the rest of the way to the states. On to the medal round
pimp.gif

EH OH CANADA GO!
pimp.gif

Happy New Years NT Hockey Fans!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom