2014 Chevrolet SS Unveiled

First Look: 2014 Chevrolet SS

GM has long neglected fans of mainstream rear-wheel-drive performance sedans. The 1994 Chevrolet Impala SS, for example, only stuck around for three years before it was unceremoniously dropped and not replaced. Fast-forward 12 years to 2008, when the tire-scorching Holden Commodore-based Pontiac G8 hit the streets. Though popular with enthusiasts, it didn't last long, meeting the axe in 2009 along with the rest of Pontiac. Five years later, the G8's follow-up is here in the form of the 2014 Chevrolet SS, which GM is introducing this weekend in Daytona. The Chevy SS is going to look mighty familiar to Pontiac G8 GXP owners. Like the G8 GXP, the Chevy SS comes to our shores with a 6.2-liter LS3 V-8. Those hoping the SS would get the 2014 Corvette's new LT1 V-8 might be a bit disappointed, but the LS3 is a solid choice for Chevy's new sedan. Under the SS' hood, the 6.2-liter V-8 cranks out around 415 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque. Power is routed to the rear through a six-speed automatic with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Unlike in the Holden version of the SS, the VF Commodore SS-V, a six-speed manual isn't available. The lack of a manual transmission might be a disappointment at first, but seeing as the SS' biggest rival, the Dodge Charger R/T, doesn't offer one, it's not surprising.

Chevy expects a 0-60 mph time of about five seconds, thanks in part to a 3.27 final-drive ratio. Considering the 2014 SS has virtually identical specs compared the Pontiac G8 GXP, save for the manual transmission, we expect it to hit 60 mph in about 4.5 seconds and the quarter mile should take about 13 seconds.

Performance-tuned electric power steering; two-piece, four-piston front Brembo brakes (rear brakes are single-piston sliding calipers); and forged 19-inch aluminum wheels are all standard. The five-spoke wheels are wrapped in sticky Bridgestone rubber and staggered 245/40/19 up front and 275/35/19 in back. Chevy says the SS will have a low center of gravity with a near 50/50 weight distribution, accomplished by making both the hood and trunk lid from aluminum, meaning the pieces are 30 percent lighter than they'd be if they were made from steel.

Visually, the 2014 SS is virtually identical to the Holden VF SS-V, with the only real changes being the two cars' badging and grilles. The new SS almost has a Mercedes C63 AMG look to it, with wide, low-set HID headlamps and low-mounted LED running lamps flanking the foglights. Other distinguishing features up front include Chevy's corporate grille, an inverted trapezoidal front valence reminiscent of both the Ford C-Max and Scion FR-S, and a "power bulge" hood. Around back, the SS sports quad exhaust tips, a rear spoiler, and a rather shapely rear end. Dimensionally, the SS is about identical in size to the G8. Both the Pontiac and Chevy ride on a 114.8 wheelbase, though the G8 is 0.6 inches longer, 0.1 inch wider, and 0.2 inch lower than the SS. Inside, the SS will come loaded with standard equipment. The sedan, which Chevy says will seat five adults comfortably, will have leather sport seats, eight-way power front buckets, soft-touch materials, chrome trim, and blue accent lighting. The SS will also come standard with Chevy's MyLink infotainment system, a color head-up display, nine-speaker Bose audio system, and safety features like forward collision alert, lane departure warning, blind spot monitors, and a backup camera. The SS will also be the first Chevy to offer a self-parking feature. Though it'll be making its NASCAR debut this weekend, the 2014 Chevy SS won't be hitting dealerships until late this year. Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but we're expecting it to start around $38,000. The 2014 SS could very well be the start of something special for the bow tie brand. Here's hoping GM gives it more than two years to find its niche. After all, the third time's the charm, right?

View media item 270543
View media item 270544
View media item 270545
View media item 270546
View media item 270547
View media item 270548

The only thing I don't like is the big black piece on the front bumper.

Still pretty dang tuff though.

i drive a impala lt right now and for some reason the new body is weird to me. but that engine is something and if the trunk space is the same as the current one that would be amazing

Meh.

Looks like a Malibu.

exactly, it doesn't look like they designed it from scratch at all, they got lazy and it shows smh. the 5th gen camaro n 3rd generation challenger both look good as a result of starting from scratch.

dont think anyone would cop...

Buggin b.

Its basically a 4 door camaro SS, them specs crazy.

I will keep it frank thou, styling should've equalled or exceed da new impala, its

A lil bit on da vanilla side..might catch a Pontiac GTO brick cuz as dope as that car

Was it was styled zzzz. This is miles ahead of da GTO though.

Da G8 GXP was more aggressively styled..it only went away be cuz Pontiac folded.

Tell u what though, this has PRICE & brand on its side...da camaro SS undercuts da srt

Charger & challenger but more then a few grand & offers 400+ horsepower.. da SS on this

Whip will let cats know this joint means business. This whip is DEFINITELY picking off cats

That want a M3 but BARELY only got 328i money.

I'm really impressed with the specs. Though I rather have it as a Holden because the lpgpos flow better this car is a great deal and looks to be a performer. Definitely on my list of an upgrade barring reviews

Ahh might want to trade in my charger for that seeing as it has 400 + ponies in that engine. I wonder if it gets similar gas mileage as the rt.

Nvmnd just read that cylinder de activition wasn't included, come on now gm. Dodge needs to step up its 5.7 engine to at least make it 400 and up or put and 8 speed on it

It would be really disappointing if they don't offer the manual transmission in this vehicle. I was strongly looking to replace my existing car with one of these.

Buggin b.

Its basically a 4 door camaro SS, them specs crazy.

I will keep it frank thou, styling should've equalled or exceed da new impala, its

A lil bit on da vanilla side..might catch a Pontiac GTO brick

cuz as dope as that car Was it was styled zzzz. This is miles ahead of da GTO though.

Da G8 GXP was more aggressively styled..it only went away be cuz Pontiac folded.

Tell u what though, this has PRICE & brand on its side...da camaro SS undercuts da srt

Charger & challenger but more then a few grand & offers 400+ horsepower.. da SS on this

Whip will let cats know this joint means business. This whip is DEFINITELY picking off cats

That want a M3 but BARELY only got 328i money.

thats where i think they'll lose....

honestly speakiing Dope boy wise, if Gucci or Jeezy cops it, it'll sell-off but if they dont buy into it, its a wrap...

BTW Gucci Charger in his new vid looks TUFF!!!

Last edited:
Looks very nice. Love the styling, especially the Cadillac V seating but those specs are a huge disappointment. The two year old Charger SRT8 is pushing 470 + HP, and the fact that the five year old Pontiac G8 matches the numbers is embarassing. Face it, Chevy is doesn't build muscle cars, and are cosistantly years behind the competition. They are too worried about cutting into the Camaro and Corvette sales.

Looks very nice. Love the styling, especially the Cadillac V seating but those specs are a huge disappointment. The two year old Charger SRT8 is pushing 470 + HP, and the fact that the five year old Pontiac G8 matches the numbers is embarassing. Face it, Chevy is doesn't build muscle cars, and are cosistantly years behind the competition. They are too worried about cutting into the Camaro and Corvette sales.

bap bap bap!!!!

Back
Top Bottom