2017 Tax Season and Return Thread Vol. Tax Podcast Mixed In?

Does anyone know if i have to include a PAGA settlement check I got for tax filing?  Didn't get a tax form with the check so if anyone have any info on this plz help

What would you guys recommend someone do who hasn't filed taxes in about 5 years??
-has worked multiple jobs in multiple different states, can't contact all employers for appropriate forms
-gains and losses with stocks (capital gains)
-has been full time student at university intermittently until this summer
-decent amount of student loan debt
-very bad credit, no steady use of any bank account or any debit/credit card over past 3 years (no bank account)
-shouldn't owe anything in taxes, should receive refund
-multiple arrests, incarceration, 6 week hospitalization with no insurance, open lawsuits, court orders, restitution and similar which further complicate matters
-male mid 20s no dependent
Want to know how it should be approached (H&R Block and similar are of no help)

Last edited:
What would you guys recommend someone do who hasn't filed taxes in about 5 years??
-has worked multiple jobs in multiple different states, can't contact all employers for appropriate forms
-very bad credit, no steady use of any bank account or any debit/credit card over past 3 years (no bank account)
-multiple arrests, incarceration, 6 week hospitalization with no insurance, open lawsuits, court orders, restitution and similar which further complicate matters
I mean if you don't expect to owe anything why not just get your W2's from the past 5 years from y our previous employers and just mail them in?

I would file all 5 of those returns especially if you are due a refund. You won't get anything back for the years after the most recent 3 returns but you should still file any way. PM me if you want me to help you out, I have a lot of experience with back tax return filing.

#1 step is to find out what was reported to the IRS (Wage and Income Transcript )

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/request-a-transcript-or-copy-of-a-prior-year-tax-return

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Once you complete this step and received the official transcript.. report back here for step #2

Most people can't even take the time to get this transcript so pointless for anyone to provide any further instruction to you until then

Last edited:
Shouts to nydunkhead nydunkhead for helping me file my taxes this year. If anyone is located on long island and needs assistance with their return. I would suggest going to him.

Last edited:
Not 2017 related but got hit with a fine from my 2015 tax :frown:

So i claimed that i went to school, which i did, had the 1080t form and everything. BUT the irs saying, "we dont see any records of YOU paying it"

Now heres the part i totally forgot, my mom paid the FULL tuition. I gave her half up front and paid her the other half the next month, since i did not have the full amount.

Take the L and pay the fine or is there a way to go about this?

My CA refund was deposited today. Still waiting on Federal and VA.

Update: Received a letter from VA dept. of tax to submit hard copies of my w-2. (Did taxes through turbotax)

I guess they want to verify and ensure everything I entered was correct. Probably will take another 8-10 weeks for everything to be processed and receive my return.

Last edited:
Not 2017 related but got hit with a fine from my 2015 tax :frown:

So i claimed that i went to school, which i did, had the 1080t form and everything. BUT the irs saying, "we dont see any records of YOU paying it"

Now heres the part i totally forgot, my mom paid the FULL tuition. I gave her half up front and paid her the other half the next month, since i did not have the full amount.

Take the L and pay the fine or is there a way to go about this?
Did your mom claim it on her taxes?? If so then that could be a reason why they sent you a letter adjusting your return.

If she did your going to take an L unless you want her to but since she helped you out I don't think you would want her to.

If she didn't just get a transcript from the school showing a payment, that will be your best bet to avoid any hassle.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom