2018-2019 Washington Wizards Season Thread - FREEDOM!

Will this be the year that the Wizards finally win 50 games?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First they traded Smith, who appears to have been some type of locker room glue in terms of keeping the team positive, and now this.

....I'm really tired.

All three players, Trevor Ariza ($15M), Austin Rivers ($12.65M) and Kelly Oubre Jr. ($3.3M) are on expiring contracts. Oubre Jr. will be a restricted free agent and the Suns will have the right to tender the forward a $4.5M qualifying offer. The Wizards will create a $3.3M trade exception to go along with a $5.45M, $1.3M, $957K and $694K exception. The Washington tax bill will drop from $9.8M to $8.3M but will likely increase based on the team now falling below the minimum roster requirement of 14.
giphy.gif

Awful trade. We got older, received absolutely no future assets in the deal, and did nothing to shore up the roster moving forward.

We're supposed to believe that our savior is a 33 year old who's currently shooting a career low 37.9% from the field and just lost his starting job on the worst team in the league?

latest

I don't get the Washington Wizards, I really don't. Like how can you possibly continue to outdo yourself in making dumb decisions, it makes no sense.

I didn't realize that there was a surgical procedure to treat a bruised ego.

If shutting Wall down gives the organization cover to avoid making the necessary (and expensive) changes required to become a competitive, professional NBA franchise, that would be the last straw for me. If Ernie is still with the team in October, someone else will need to create next year's season thread. My allegiance will be held in abeyance pending a management change.

Had Wall remained active, we all know that:
  • Zero Wizards would be selected to the All Star Team
  • The team would miss the playoffs
This season, and this era, will be remembered as another profound, characteristic failure of the league's most hapless and historically inept franchise.

farewell.gif

Wiz starting the tank earlier ....time to start discussing prospects ( they have their pick right? )

I didn't realize that there was a surgical procedure to treat a bruised ego.

If shutting Wall down gives the organization cover to avoid making the necessary (and expensive) changes required to become a competitive, professional NBA franchise, that would be the last straw for me. If Ernie is still with the team in October, someone else will need to create next year's season thread. My allegiance will be held in abeyance pending a management change.

Had Wall remained active, we all know that:
  • Zero Wizards would be selected to the All Star Team
  • The team would miss the playoffs
This season, and this era, will be remembered as another profound, characteristic failure of the league's most hapless and historically inept franchise.

farewell.gif
Sure they not detoxing him?

Wiz starting the tank earlier ....time to start discussing prospects ( they have their pick right? )
For now, they still have their first round pick.

The circumstances are terrifyingly similar to those of the infamous 2009 draft day trade, the Ernie move to end all Ernie moves.

For those unfamiliar or in need of a refresher:
In 2009, the Wizards finished 19-63 after losing Gilbert Arenas to injury just two games into the season. They held the fifth overall selection in the ensuing draft, but traded it to Minnesota for Mike Miller and Randy Foye - a deal that then-coach Flip Saunders called "a no brainer." How right he was.

Minnesota used the pick on Ricky Rubio. Steph Curry was drafted two selections later.

The Wizards, at the time, considered the 19 win season a fluke, and sought to build on the 43 win campaign of 2007-2008 (after which Washington fell in the first round to Cleveland, as had become tradition.)
They felt that the addition of Foye and Miller to the core of Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, and Brendan Haywood would vault them over the Cavaliers, Celtics, and Magic.

Trading the upcoming first round selection and the final year of Ian Mahinmi's contract for a washed up former All Star (e.g. Gordon Hayward or Kevin Love) would be unfathomable for any other franchise. For this team, it would simply be history repeating itself.

Ernie should be immediately fired - out of a cannon, preferably. His replacement should be directed to find a taker for Ariza at the deadline that would yield future picks.

Of note: Washington will not have its second round selection this year, as it was traded as part of a 2015 draft night deal to acquire - wait for it - Kelly Oubre, Jr.

Yooo I can def see the Wiz trading the 7th pick for somebody like Kevin Love...it sounds almost too perfect :lol: :sick:

Back
Top Bottom