2018-2019 Washington Wizards Season Thread - FREEDOM!

Will this be the year that the Wizards finally win 50 games?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the Wiz play halfway decent, they should be looking at a 4 to 5 game win streak...they got blessed with the soft schedule/homestand

Still not in, "Blow it up" mode just yet.

Sure, they aren't playing well but they will be fine. Typical 4-5 Seed.

Be patient, I know it is hard to do though

From The Athletic :lol:

Howard, Wizards finding life getting more difficult as the losses mount

gettyimages-1062602860-594x594-e1542432400680.jpg

By Fred Katz 11m ago
save-icon@2x.png

WASHINGTON — A near-empty arena wasn’t even a safe space.

Dwight Howard headed out to the free-throw line at 10 p.m. Friday, following the Wizards’ 115-104 loss to the Nets. The task was traditional.

Howard would drill on the practice court after games last year in Charlotte. This time he had to do it on the game court. After opening a new facility in the Southeast of D.C., the Wizards had turned their former in-arena practice court into a courtside club, which meant sparse viewers were around to see Howard throw up postgame free throws. The big man was avoiding a full workout, given the piriformis injury from which he’s still recovering.

But he wanted to get up reps, so he stood at the line in his black Nike tank top and red Wizards practice shorts and tossed up shot after shot with Wizards assistant Alex McLean rebounding and passing back to him.

A screeching voice resonated down from the mezzanine level.

“Yo, Dwight! Make 10 straight!!”

The voice followed up.

“That’s right, Dwight! You better make it!!”

The heckling came from a persistent arena worker in the second deck. He was wearing the same yellow uniformed shirt as everyone else cleaning up the seated area, but wasn’t showing off a similar professional attitude to the rest.

“Decorum” became the word of the day in Washington on Friday, but there was little at Capital One Arena.

“You bum ***!” the man yelled from the second level.

Howard had AirPods in each ear, but he could hear the guy. He looked back at him a couple of times between free throws and sported a hint of incredulity, as if his facial muscles were saying, “What in the world is this guy thinking?”

Others around wondered the same.

One security worker near the court joked to another, “If I wasn’t so tired, I’d go up there and whip him.”

But Howard kept swishing in his freebies.

“Yeah, that’s right!” the gentleman of utmost dignity bellowed. “Make your damn free throws!”

Howard did. He sank 90 percent of his free throws during his postgame session with McLean, not necessarily unusual for him. NBA players shoot far better from the line in practice than they do during games, if only because they catch a rhythm lifting attempt after attempt in the moment.

By the time Howard was done, security workers had whisked away the foolish pest. It’s safe to assume he won’t be back in the future. Howard had more to do, though. He walked a few rows into the stands with McLean and joined Justin Zormelo, his Miami-based trainer who’d come to D.C. to see him. The three began studying hour-old film from the night’s game on Zormelo’s extra-large iPad.

Howard watched Brooklyn’s dribble-drivers get to the rim. On a night when he went for a team-best 25 points and 17 rebounds, but fouled out, he saw the Nets create spot-up 3-pointers. He saw them get to the charity stripe an inordinate amount of times.

Friday’s loss dropped the Wizards to 5-10 with familiar themes, including the scant boos the team received near the end of the game. It wasn’t the first time this year they’d received hisses in their own building.

Coach Scott Brooks pinned Friday’s issues on defense and reiterated constantly that players need to stay in front of their men. Bradley Beal pointed out a thematic Wizards problem.

“Pride,” he said. “Just guard your damn man. Everybody.”

As Howard watched film, one of the few fans still in the building approached him. A group of six had received guest passes and were taking selfies on the court once the Washington center finished his postgame workout. The fan was feeling confident; funny, even.

He stuck his head between Howard and McLean to interrupt the three-man film session.

“Must be hard to watch,” he said with a smile.

None of the three reciprocated. Howard shook his head. The fan sensed the body-shivering awkwardness, apologized and walked to the nearest tunnel, exiting the court.

Life as a Wizard is a pain these days, even when a man is supposedly on his own time.

All of the outlets are having a field day. I don’t mind it actually after going through all of the reports of what went down in practice. The coaches, the players, all calling each other out, good!

If this is what it takes for Ted to take his blinders off and can Ernie, I’m all for it.

Will it happen proven Ernie’s ability to last this long? probably not. I’m sure hoping this is the final straw. I don’t blame Wall, Beal & Oubre, etc for their outbursts. Keep them coming. Our. stars. are. not. the. problem!

Watching Brad try to find the words to say something nice about the "culture" (Ernie) is priceless.:lol:

Ehhh the team at best is a first round exit. That’s not success. Blow the team up now before players start to walk or lose value. Tank this season for sure.

For the nth consecutive year, Ernie and Ted managed to kick the can down the road in search of short term benefits, trading a 2022 second round pick and a useless player for a less expensive useless player: https://www.nba.com/article/2018/12/07/cavaliers-three-team-trade

Don’t be fooled into thinking that this is somehow a precursor to a larger, better deal. This was about easing Ted’s luxury tax bill.

I don’t buy any of these high profile trade rumors. The odds of this “Wall to the Knicks” chatter coming from outside of the Wizards organization are lower than the team’s current SRS.

Let this sink in: we currently can’t give away the player who, if left on the roster, will likely wind up as the team’s all time leader in at least 6 statistical categories. And he’s in his prime.

Back
Top Bottom