**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Been crickets about our 13 and 14th man

I’m assuming these last guys would prefer to go elsewhere for more playing time and have lakers as a back up. Lord knows they trying out for the Quinn cook and Dudley spots of last year

Like what I'm hearin about the Lakers still tryin to add a Center.

Marc + that Center
AD + Trezz

We'd once again be interchangeable. Need to go big, 2 bigs + AD. Need to go small, AD + Trezz, need to go smaller, AD + Bron. Keep everyone fresh(er) and also play the matchups.

Play fast, play slow, play big, play small, play half court, play in transition. We'll match whatever you have and have somethin else to throw at ya.

****in love it. :smokin

Granted I was pretty vocal about not wanting wes, regardless he a laker now and I hope he can win me over with his play...rooting for him to do well.

gang.

I was reflecting on the signings/departures and I think there was some emotional attachment to some of the guys (Dwight, Javale, Rondo, etc) who won this last chip that makes it sting a little when they got replaced so quickly. On the other hand, this is a business and this is for the betterment of the entire team. It feels more and more like a come up with these new additions given the defense, age, and athleticism.

I was reflecting on the signings/departures and I think there was some emotional attachment to some of the guys (Dwight, Javale, Rondo, etc) who won this last chip that makes it sting a little when they got replaced so quickly. On the other hand, this is a business and this is for the betterment of the entire team. It feels more and more like a come up with these new additions given the defense, age, and athleticism.

blame NBA started up so quickly we barely got time to enjoy our championship.

Vogel and CO. made Dwight and the other guys look better than what they actually were.

Gotta remember the Lakers last year took all of them off the scrap heap besides Green.

I hate Dwight so much. He would have been the perfect back up center.

Hopefully he goes to Philly and messes up...
Me too he’s a ****ing idiot. If it really was him wondering why they haven’t called him back after 1 hour then f him

But...I think it was more about us not wanting him. I think with Harrell you always need a outside shooter with him at all times

20201124_173439.jpg

New pick up.

Zach Lowe:
Winner: The champs

The Los Angeles Lakers got better, though it took two high-wire, last-minute moves to cinch it: retaining Kentavious Caldwell-Pope after a 48-hour game of chicken, and finagling a two-year deal for Marc Gasol.

With Caldwell-Pope back and Wesley Matthews replacing Danny Green, the Lakers have five proven perimeter players around LeBron James and Anthony Davis -- the same number they had in the bubble, and enough for multiple Davis-at-center lineups. Avery Bradley is gone as a potential sixth such player, but Talen Horton-Tucker could step into some of those minutes.

Ideally, one of those half-dozen would be a bigger wing with 3-point range and the ability to guard power forwards so LeBron doesn't have to. That could be Kyle Kuzma if he finds his stroke after shooting 31% from deep over the past two seasons.

Unlike last season, one of those perimeter guys -- Dennis Schroder -- is a real threat to score off the dribble. That is massive as LeBron ages, and during a compressed season in which the Lakers should ease his burden.

Schroder hit 41% of his catch-and-shoot 3s last season -- a career high, though he has nailed at least 35% in four of the past five seasons. Everyone looks better when LeBron spoon feeds them.

Schroder is a sub-30% shooter on pull-up 3s, but his pick-and-roll with LeBron, Davis, and Montrezl Harrell should still be dangerous. Chase Schroder over those picks, and he knifes into the lane -- drawing help, and unlocking lobs. Duck under, and Schroder eases into midrangers. Schroder has hit almost half his long 2s in four of the past five seasons. The Thunder scored about 1.2 points per possession when defenders scooted under picks against Schroder -- eighth among 117 ball handlers who faced that coverage at least 50 times, per Second Spectrum.

Schroder's not a star, but he's a solid, athletic player in his prime who should thrive next to superstars. Capped-out contenders rarely get chances to acquire those sorts of players.

Gasol could amplify everyone else unless his playoff performance -- 5-of-27 on 3s, painful attempts to finish at the rim in the second round against Boston -- was a harbinger. I'll bet on the larger sample of Gasol draining 38.5% from deep in the regular season and remaining a backline bulwark on defense. Gasol can be too unselfish on offense -- almost shot-phobic -- but that doesn't matter with LeBron and Davis both on the floor.

The Gasol-Davis tandem will smother the rim, as the Lakers did playing big last season. Gasol can spot up around the arc, decluttering the lane for Davis post-ups and freeing Davis to dive-and-dunk more on the pick-and-roll -- something JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard could not do. Even aging Gasol can punish power forwards in the post when opponents slot their centers onto Davis.

The Lakers' have sacrificed offensive rebounding in reshaping their center rotation, but the upgrade in spacing should compensate.

I don't love the Harrell-Davis fit as much. Harrell cramps spacing without offering the same rim protection or rebound munching. The LeBron-Davis-Harrell trio will work anyway, because LeBron-Davis-anyone works. But starting Gasol would separate Harrell and Davis, and let the Schroder-Harrell two-man game sing -- with Schroder working as Harrell's new Lou Williams. Some top-line centers expose Harrell defensively.

As the capper, the Lakers coaxed Markieff Morris back to provide some stylistic flexibility.

This team should be considered favorites to repeat.

Back
Top Bottom