2019 All Star Black Infrared Air Jordan 6

Where do you prefer the lace lock?

• Total voters
Ya but how the hell do you tie the shoes then lock them? Everyone I see just pulls em through and that’s it. All my shoes with lacelocks I just take em off so i can tie them lol.

Tie your shoe then put the lock on the 2 ends with the lace tips and slide it up against the knot. It’s easy. On the 5 you would put the lock on first then tie because those locks have the plastic piece that goes up against the tongue.

Or, you put the lock on the 2 ends with the lace tips and slide it up against your foot. Then you tie your shoe. It's the way Mike wore them the majority of the time and what's always made the most sense for me.

Classic+Kicks+-+Air+Jordan+VI.JPG
Let's be honest. The locks were a gimmick then, and they are now. A dope gimmick, but nonsense all the same.
I remember being confounded by them back in '90 and '91. They look cool but are a waste of time in practical, real-life, playing basketball scenarios. So don't think you're missing something about the way to use them :lol:

Let's be honest. The locks were a gimmick then, and they are now. A dope gimmick, but nonsense all the same.
I remember being confounded by them back in '90 and '91. They look cool but are a waste of time in practical, real-life, playing basketball scenarios. So don't think you're missing something about the way to use them :lol:

No, they're actually very functional and important in a basketball-sense if you tie them the way I describe/Mike wore them. With the lace-lock secure against your ankle before you tie your shoes, if the shoes come untied while mid-game, you won't miss a beat as the lace-lock is there for support. You don't have to step aside and tie your shoe - you can keep on going.

Okay so tie the shoe on top of the lace lock got it. My dad was trying to tell me that’s how he used to do it on his OG 5s and 6s back in the day, but i thought he was crazy because all these pictures and videos i’ve seen with the lace locks haven’t seen one person wearing them that way. Also they did have some lace locks on a few later models, the 17s and the 22s I believe.

No, they're actually very functional and important in a basketball-sense if you tie them the way I describe/Mike wore them. With the lace-lock secure against your ankle before you tie your shoes, if the shoes come untied while mid-game, you won't miss a beat as the lace-lock is there for support. You don't have to step aside and tie your shoe - you can keep on going.
If you say so. I'll just agree to disagree. They didn't ever keep my shoes tight enough on their own for more than a few minutes, and I tried every which way of using them back in the day ...

Okay so tie the shoe on top of the lace lock got it. My dad was trying to tell me that’s how he used to do it on his OG 5s and 6s back in the day, but i thought he was crazy because all these pictures and videos i’ve seen with the lace locks haven’t seen one person wearing them that way. Also they did have some lace locks on a few later models, the 17s and the 22s I believe.
... Including tying them on top of the lock like this. Didn't matter.

^^^ me either. Not the 1991 pair, the 2000 pair, or this one - those locks don’t do a thing except break up the black laces.

^^^ me either. Not the 1991 pair, the 2000 pair, or this one - those locks don’t do a thing except break up the black laces.
My experience as well. I tried loads of variations back in the day but none were nearly as effective as just tying my shoes the old fashioned way LOL. It used to annoy me because I wanted the locks to just hold my shoes tight so I didn't really even have to tie them, but that never worked. Crap, all this talk has me wanting the dang white/fire red/3M tongues again. They really need to drop those. I haven't had a pair since my OGs back in 8th grade. Missed the 99 or 00 retro, whatever year that was, and didn't like any of the subsequent retros. It's time, Nike.

I've been wondering for decades how lace locks were supposed to work. I usually just use them to cross the laces between the 1st and 2nd rung of holes at the collar.
I had no idea they had a basketball purpose.

I've been wondering for decades how lace locks were supposed to work. I usually just use them to cross the laces between the 1st and 2nd rung of holes at the collar.
I had no idea they had a basketball purpose.
I would say it was more of an intention. The lace locks really are not as effective as they were meant to be on paper. I too wore them like MJ and everywhere in between. End of the day, they dont hold up to keeping the shoe tight. At this point, they are just a novelty that comes with a J 6. Its no different than the lace pocket. The idea looked good and had good intention. But most figured out quickly it really didnt work like they wanted it to.

A little late on the lace lock talk but imo they're only as useful as you make em. The only way to tighten your shoes and tighten the collar around your ankle is to tighten your laces from bottom to top and THEN use the lace lock to keep your laces in place. I feel the lock mainly serves as a stylistic choice and nod to the V's, and lastly to provide support for your laces by keeping them from untying. However a tight knot can do that too so it's essentially useful and useless. While it may not be the cleanest look maybe, this is how I wear mine.
20190427_101409.jpg
20190427_101452.jpg

Last edited:
If they really were functional and Tinker got rid of them to keep Jordans fresh that essentially is saying Jordan and Tinker chose style over function.

Which I guess is true because I dont think scientists in a lab creating the optimal basketball shoes would look like Jordans. That is however a pretty direct choice of style over function

If they really were functional and Tinker got rid of them to keep Jordans fresh that essentially is saying Jordan and Tinker chose style over function.
If Tinker would have made a new J every year with the same look and functions, I dont think the line would have been as successful. He had to change things up year to year for style purposes as well.

Yeah that is true... NBA pro bball JB are all a business at the end of the day. Its what makes them money at the end of the day. Its not all about the game.

I was saying though for the sake of argument if some people do believe these were assets to a bball player Jordan removing them is negatively affecting his playing for the sake of "looking good" which I think we all would consider that poor priorities for an athlete.

Honestly whatever point I'm making is sort of stupid and irrelevant.

:pimp::nthat::pimp::smokin:pimp::nthat::smokin:nthat: Too much of that going on on this fine Saturday night, gentlemen.

anywhere to get these for retail? i know i'm mad late..

What size? Seems they are available all over Canada...just gotta find a place that will ship to you.

StockX and GOAT have even had some sizes UNDER retail.

Yo I hate the anti restock-order asap on stockx crew:lol:

I held out a couple months then their fear mongering got to me after restocks happened but not my city and I put a low ball bid on stockx. The day after my bid accepted restock happened here. Now under retail..

Yea Im complaining over 20 bucks and a slightly dirty feeling of paying over retail. Thats why I love/hate this place. I also stand by my strategic move of waiting a while for a restock but giving in at a set price over retail before the prices potientially spiked when it didnt look like we would get one. I should put this much strategy into my career.

20190427_204854.jpg
Decided to unds today, laced up right shoe, all good, put right shoe on and felt a bump in the sole, took out the midsole and saw a horizontal crease on the sole...smfh!

Last edited:
Yo I hate the anti restock-order asap on stockx crew:lol:

I held out a couple months then their fear mongering got to me after restocks happened but not my city and I put a low ball bid on stockx. The day after my bid accepted restock happened here. Now under retail..

Yea Im complaining over 20 bucks and a slightly dirty feeling of paying over retail. Thats why I love/hate this place. I also stand by my strategic move of waiting a while for a restock but giving in at a set price over retail before the prices potientially spiked when it didnt look like we would get one. I should put this much strategy into my career.

i get mad because footlocker/eastbat still show them on their sites but , unavailable when you try o add to cart

Back
Top Bottom