2019 All Star Black Infrared Air Jordan 6

Where do you prefer the lace lock?

• Total voters
Best retro in years

A6198822-0642-483C-81F0-F5578850D260.jpeg

The retro from '14, on a purely aesthetic level, has last year's beat, lack of Nike Air notwithstanding. The toe box 'coming out more boot-like' wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but this is likely down to my opinion that the 6 hasn't truly suffered a bad shape in the way 3s, 4s and the late '90s run of signatures (12-14) have -- either that, or misshapen 6s don't translate as readily.

The above also applies to the '07 & '15 Aqua 8s in almost all respects. The latter retro is highly respected by most, yet doesn't elicit anywhere near the positive response from me that the former does.

Although I'm for originals receiving proper treatment, I can get behind a retro that strays when done right.

The retro from '14, on a purely aesthetic level, has last year's beat, lack of Nike Air notwithstanding. The toe box 'coming out more boot-like' wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but this is likely down to my opinion that the 6 hasn't truly suffered a bad shape in the way 3s, 4s and the late '90s run of signatures (12-14) have -- either that, or misshapen 6s don't translate as readily.

The above also applies to the '07 & '15 Aqua 8s in almost all respects. The latter retro is highly respected by most, yet doesn't elicit anywhere near the positive response from me that the former does.

Although I'm for originals receiving proper treatment, I can get behind a retro that strays when done right.
I agree the worst shaped 6 doesn’t even compare to a 3 or 4 from say the mid 00s when it comes to the level of butchering.
Although I disagree with your aesthetic preference in each of your examples, I definitely agree with the point that changes on retros don’t always have to be negative. They can differentiate releases and even improve things to the point where each release can stand on its own.
The 99 4s are an example where they made some slight changes to the cut and the tongue shape but the emotional connection was completely maintained for most people.

I agree the worst shaped 6 doesn’t even compare to a 3 or 4 from say the mid 00s when it comes to the level of butchering.
Although I disagree with your aesthetic preference in each of your examples, I definitely agree with the point that changes on retros don’t always have to be negative. They can differentiate releases and even improve things to the point where each release can stand on its own.
The 99 4s are an example where they made some slight changes to the cut and the tongue shape but the emotional connection was completely maintained for most people.
Matches my own sentiments on the White/Cement Grey 3 from '94, except that was an even bigger departure from the original and effectively supplanted how we viewed a standard Air Jordan 3 till recently.

Re: Infrareds & Aquas, ironic, seeing as the latest retros aren't head-over-heels favored by me, despite Nike dotting Is and crossing Ts better on those than retros that came before them to closer resemble the originals, which, for myself, stand above every successive release, looks-wise.

Matches my own sentiments on the White/Cement Grey 3 from '94, except that was an even bigger departure from the original and effectively supplanted how we viewed a standard Air Jordan 3 till recently.
This is the core problem when they make these changes. The changed version is the “original” version for so many new fans. Then you have people coming from different perspectives as far as preference on future retros.

The 1994 3 is an interesting example and I think maybe it was closer to either tinker or MJs vision of what the shoe should be.

Last edited:
i semi regret buying 2 pairs of last year's 6s when I've only worn the previous iteration maybe 3 times. side note the slight aging of those previous infrared is adding nice character to them

i semi regret buying 2 pairs of last year's 6s when I've only worn the previous iteration maybe 3 times. side note the slight aging of those previous infrared is adding nice character to them

****, I have a sole swapped 2000 pair, a DS Varsity Red, and 3 DS pairs of the 2019's. I also have a DS 2014, and a 2014 pair I've worn like only 5-7 times. So don't feel bad, man.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is the core problem when they make these changes. The changed version is the “original” version for so many new fans. Then you have people coming from different perspectives as far as preference on future retros.

The 1994 3 is an interesting example and I think maybe it was closer to either tinker or MJs vision of what the shoe should be.
Can you talk a little more about this?

Can you talk a little more about this?
The 2016 space jam is a good example. Those of us that grew up on the originals and 00 retros were ecstatic when we saw the height/cut change and the white line on the pl. changes were all in the right direction.
However, that didn’t stop fans that grew up on the 2009 version from being disappointed by the changes. They were used to the skinny pl and the muddled black out look without the panel separation afforded by the white line. There were dudes coloring in the line with a sharpie to get it closer to the 2009 pair.
So when they go back and forth on these details it becomes hard to please everyone because people just want the same shoe they originally fell in love with, even if they fell in love with the bastardized version.

The 2016 space jam is a good example. Those of us that grew up on the originals and 00 retros were ecstatic when we saw the height/cut change and the white line on the pl. changes were all in the right direction.
However, that didn’t stop fans that grew up on the 2009 version from being disappointed by the changes. They were used to the skinny pl and the muddled black out look without the panel separation afforded by the white line. There were dudes coloring in the line with a sharpie to get it closer to the 2009 pair.
So when they go back and forth on these details it becomes hard to please everyone because people just want the same shoe they originally fell in love with, even if they fell in love with the bastardized version.
People really sharpie the edges? Wow, that the firs t I hear about people being disappointed with the 2016 release

I appreciate the reply. But I was really asking about how the 94 3s were maybe a little closer to MJ or Tinkers version than the 1988. Sorry for the confusion.

I appreciate the reply. But I was really asking about how the 94 3s were maybe a little closer to MJ or Tinkers version than the 1988. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh ok yea I say that because if you look at the first retro of the 1,4,5 they made some updates that pretty obviously brought it closer to what the vision would’ve been. The sharpness of the flames on the 2000 5, the tongue on the 99 4s. Even the 1s in 94 they changed the material on the collar. They weren’t just making changes just to troll back in those days.

So I think with the 3s they probably wanted a thicker cut of ep in 94 either because It was the preference of the design team or because the original design with the thin strip was just too unforgiving from a manufacturing perspective. If you look at a lot of the pictures of ogs, even the samples were all jacked up and uneven. Making the strip thicker gives more margin for error and makes the alignment issues less noticeable.

This is obviously all speculation but I really think it had to have been one of those reasons.

Re: Infrareds & Aquas, ironic, seeing as the latest retros aren't head-over-heels favored by me, despite Nike dotting Is and crossing Ts better on those than retros that came before them to closer resemble the originals, which, for myself, stand above every successive release, looks-wise.
Do you own a pair of the 2019 infrareds??

Back
Top Bottom