New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't understand how they fire the coach but not the GM. the GM gave away our high 3rd round pick!!!!!

we should have lost to skins that 2nd pick would have made the last 3 years worth it.

Gave away our high 3rd round for a player that had very little interest and is now a free agent.

We also gave up a 5th and most likely we won’t keep him cause he wants a huge payday and clearly from the games he played for us, he’s not worth a huge contract. What a ****in embarrassment.

Then you sign OBJ to a huge deal, **** up our cap space for three years and you trade him.

Letting Landon Collins walk instead of trading him

Jonathan Stewart signing

Golden Tate signing after extending Sterling and trading OBJ.

Not even listening to offers when had the second pick.

Picked a terrible coaching staff, our DC should have been fired after week four. OC garbage too.

management are clowns

mccarthy-not here because giants clearly saw he was not a guy to push around
after he signs with boys, the word from media oh they like Rhule more, hes top their list....
Rhule-panthers go to HIM, offer him contract right away.... giants wanted him to visit them, since they were 2nd to party, he gets wow offer and conservative giants balk at getting "their" guy......they got out bid by small market team....and out played
and seconds after panthers get their guy....word out of giants is BS that they were finalizing deal with Judge last night? oh word thats why you had interviews lined up with Rhule and Mcdaniels this week......

clowns

i'm done reading about the NY Giants for a month or 2....i can't deal, headache all day......only hope is if jones is real deal and carries this team over the trash of management

THink about it, if giants dont sign this guy to be their head coach, hes going to coach mississippi state.....we legit saved this guy from having his first head coach job being mississippi state?! WOW

I’ll wait and see how Judge coaches this team and his in game decisions before making any comments really. Thing is with all these coaches is you don’t know how they’ll do, with the experience or not. Plenty of examples of success and failure on both sides. We will see!!

I care about the draft and free agency more, so I'll wait until then to get fired up.

I don’t love it or hate it. I read a lot about him yesterday. He was with Saban for 2-3 years, been with BB ever since. Supposedly a lot of people around him have been saying he’s head coach material. BB has been showing him and prepping him specifically to be a HC. They also said they were blown away by his interview. So if Saban and BB love him, I’m interested.

They also said they’re looking for a leader, someone that can handle the team and players. Not a play caller.

Our last two HC’s were OC’s, how that work out for us?

Dave Gettleman should have been fired, can’t say this enough. I have little faith in this team so either this is a great hire and we found our guy or he will be awful and he and Gettleman will be gone in two years.

I wanted Eric Bieniemy or Kris Richard.

Last edited:
Tisch wanted Gettleman gone but Mara wanted to give him another chance?

That's disheartening.

Just watched Judge's presser, it was real good. Hope it translates but off the presser, I see why they loved his interview. His presser was 100x better than McAdoo and Shurmer's so yeah.

I agree, I liked that he pointed to working on fundamentals and minimizing mistakes.

i like his teaching mindset....hope for the best but i really wanted a coach that has won somewhere.......his coordinators hires are important......likely unless hes stealing guys from pats he will be hiring guys his has no past relationship with.....if he hires a NFL former coach......his teaching mindset might not go over so well with those men if they have egos......i see him hiring kitchens....after that season can't have much of ego....

giants hire Patrick Graham to be D coordinator.....he was D coordinator with dolphins, before that he spent time with pats and giants as assistant.....interesting, considering he left dolphins after 1 year going from one pats connection to another

jason garrett? i'm shocked.....guy who was not even the coordinator for his offense.....hes a teacher???? hes gonna be a guy that wishes he was the coach.....wish he brings a few Olinemen over with him....

read some good things about the QB coach

jason garrett? i'm shocked.....guy who was not even the coordinator for his offense.....hes a teacher???? hes gonna be a guy that wishes he was the coach.....wish he brings a few Olinemen over with him....

read some good things about the QB coach

He was the OC there before the HC

i'm talking about the guy wasnt even the coordinator recently for the offense......and that was because jerry made him give it up....

i'm talking about the guy wasnt even the coordinator recently for the offense......and that was because jerry made him give it up....

Not sure it really matters he’s an offensive guy through and through. Just hope he helps in DJ’s development. Need to be honest and keep moving this rebuild along.

Kitchens is his boy so I get it but Kitchens and Garrett will bring too much attention I think. Garrett makes sense since he once was a good OC and he has HC experience to help teach Judge. Not a fan but I don't hate it. If it all blows up, we get rid of Gettleman. If it works out somehow, then we win.

congrats to spags and samMAD for getting another ring! with the talent on that roster they did a great job........

great article on sam madison who hopefully continues to rise up the ranks.
The rooney rule is decent but what NFL really needs is getting these NFL players who have millions in bank to consider coaching.....each position group has those players that like to coach up the young players rather being afraid that they will take their job......those players need to be identified and developed.....also give guys like david wilson a chance to intern and see if there is mutual fit to get start in coaching....these players that have their careers shorten by injury even if their careers never amounted to anything they did give up their body for this sport....yup some have to go to the real world and try to make a career like many of us but the NFL should be looking to scoop some of them up first and see if they have a place somewhere......could be scouting, front office, sales, operations, etc

How an injury in Giants' 2007 title run led Sam Madison to coaching in Super Bowl LIV

Michael Eisen
GIANTS.COM SENIOR WRITER/EDITOR
SAM-MADISON-SUPER-BOWL

Charlie Riedel/AP
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – One of the Giants' most memorable, if disappointing, regular-season games of the last 15 years was the 2007 season finale against New England. The Patriots arrived at Giants Stadium hoping to complete a 16-0 regular season. The Giants jumped out to a 12-point third-quarter lead before New England rallied for a 38-35 victory.
Of course, the Giants ended the Patriots' perfect season five weeks later in a much grander setting when they earned a 17-14 triumph in an epic Super Bowl XLII.
But for Giants cornerback Sam Madison, the real life-changing event occurred in the regular-season game. No one could have known it at the time, but it was an injury that put him on a path toward participation this week in another Super Bowl, as the defensive backs/cornerbacks coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, who will face the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LIV.
RELATED LINKS
Madison now works under two coaches who were with that Giants team – defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and secondary coach David Merritt.
"I think how I really got into it was going into Super Bowl XLII," Madison said this week. "I tore my abs in Week 17 against the New England Patriots. Tom Coughlin never really allows injured guys to travel, but I knew these guys had something special. So, throughout the course of the week, I would go in there, I'd do my treatment, yet still, I was on the football field. I was on the sideline and I was talking to him about this, talking to him about that. Nobody asked me to do it. We had a young football team (including cornerbacks Corey Webster and Aaron Ross). A lot of these guys were either rookies or second-year players, and I knew that they needed that support and that inspiration and to have them continue to work.
"Coach Coughlin, he noticed, as well as Coach Spags. They said, 'Sam, we never really have guys that are injured travel,' and then they asked me to travel. I traveled to Tampa (for the wild card game). We were able to win. Then we traveled to Dallas and won that game. I was able to come back for the NFC Championship Game and play in those last two games. Coach Spags kind of put it out there. When he went to St Louis (as head coach), he invited me to do the (minority coaching) internship for three years. For the last 10 years, I've been doing internships with different teams. Then coach (Roger) Harriot allowed me to come to St. Thomas (Aquinas High School in Ft. Lauderdale) and work with his kids over there for two years (as an assistant coach). Coach Spags ended up calling me in February when I didn't expect or think anything, because I was getting ready for high school football again. It just was something that I was kind of thrust into and something that I've always loved."
"I told Sam back when he was playing for me in New York, 'Sam, you're going to become a coach,'" Merritt said. "'No, no, I'm not going to become a coach.' I said, 'Sam, mark my word, you're going to become a coach one day.' I said 'Sam, you're doing it now.' Little do you know, when we came here to Kansas City, all of a sudden, Spags asked me, he said, 'Dave, who do you have as your assistant right now? Give me some names.' I gave him a couple of names and Spags said, 'Well what about Sam Madison?' He's doing a heck of a job."

Madison had two tackles and knocked away a Tom Brady pass in the Giants' Super Bowl upset of the Patriots. But his overriding memory of the game has nothing to do with any particular play.
"What I remember is the confetti falling down and it was for us," he said. "I heard a lot of stories of guys saying, 'I love that confetti but it only feels good when you're the winner.' To have an opportunity to get that confetti and then now you sit there and you feel it and you're looking, and it's like, 'This is really for us.' You put in a whole lot of work and a lot of dedication, and you finally arrive and you've made it. That was the fun part."

That Super Bowl LIV will be played in Hard Rock Stadium is particularly poignant to the 45-year-old Madison. He played his first nine NFL seasons in that venue for the Dolphins. The Chiefs will use the locker room in which Madison suited up dozens of times. After finishing his career and three-year stay with the Giants in 2008, Madison returned here and worked for the Dolphins in several capacities, including broadcasting.
"It was bittersweet with the teams that we had," Madison said. "We always fell short. This is any player's dream, to play in a Super Bowl. Some guys have never been to the playoffs. You just work your tail off and then however it comes, it comes for you. It just so happens that this will be my second go-round. One as a coach now, and one as a player, and being able to win one as a player. Hopefully, I'll be able to win another as a coach."
Madison said he often thinks of the Giants' 2007 championship season.
"It was a special moment for us," Madison said. "We had an opportunity in Week 17 to knock off the undefeated Patriots. I always have a tie-in with the Dolphins. We had an opportunity to end that run and still have the Dolphins as the only undefeated team and we came up short. Looking back and knowing exactly what the '72 team, what it really meant to those guys, it felt like I let them down because I had an opportunity to really help them. But we were able to get our revenge in the Super Bowl. There's still only one undefeated team in the National Football League, and that's the 1972 Dolphins football team.
"That Giants team, it was really special. We created a bond. Nobody really gave us a chance, gave us a shot or really even put us in a situation to really win that Super Bowl. Because we lost in Week 17, they thought we were going to lose. But we had a chip on our shoulder. Those guys, that defensive line, they went out and they played their tails off. (David) Tyree and Eli (Manning) and Plaxico (Burress), they came up with some big plays in that game to help us get over the hump. I'll always remember that and be grateful for the Giants for even giving me an opportunity, because when I got released here with the Dolphins, I didn't know what I was going to do or if anybody really thought I still could play. They gave me a chance and I just wanted to go out there and prove my worth, and I was able to bring a championship to them."

What can he tell his young players who have never experienced a Super Bowl?
"It's going to be exciting," Madison said. "After the kickoff and all the lights are flashing there going off, it's just a regular football game. There are going to be one or two plays that are really going to determine this football game. You look at XLII, the David Tyree catch, Eli Manning escaping out of the pocket. I don't know who it's going to be, but when you have the opportunity, you just have to go out there and make the best of it and make those plays."
The biggest play Madison made was actually off the field. In 2016, his daughter Kennedy, who was then about to turn 11, suffered from kidney failure. She soon needed a transplant. When Sam proved to be a perfect match, he donated one of his.
"It was a no-brainer," Madison said. "I was like, 'When do we do it? I had over 13 surgeries in my NFL career. One more wouldn't hurt.'" Now, he said, Kennedy "is doing phenomenal."
Just like her dad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom