New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He was a true Frosh this year, not available for two more drafts.

And it won’t matter b/c by then there stands a good chance Daniel Jones won’t have yet taken the field.

Shurmur is the perfect hire for Gettleman because he’s completely compliant with the plan. He’s so out of his depth he just kind of goes through the motions hoping everything works out for the best and it’s readily apparent.

HEATHEN HEATHEN i wanted them to tank for two more seasons for Lawerence. Generational talent.

Agreed man. Hopefully we implode in dramatic fashion between now and then and “suffer” major personnel turnover. Maybe ownership comes to their senses and gets someone into the front office who actually takes a good looks at the numbers.

It sounds like Eli isn’t happy with this pick.

Also sounds like the Giants think they drafted a more athletic Eli.

They wanted someone to behave like Eli but doesn’t have Eli’s talent.

This is such a ****in joke

I knew Haskins wasn’t happening but I wish we got Josh Allen and then a defensive player at 17 and then Lock or Rosen in round 2.

The Giants just sent WFAN a message saying Eli cancelled his show because he needs a break, not anything else.

This organization is ran but morons.

The interview is 20 minutes once a week. Eli needs a break from that?!?

We should have said goodbye to Eli after last season. It’s time to move on. This upcoming season is an absolute wash. Had Josh Allen fall to you where we have no pass rush and they draft a QB they could have gotten in Round 2 today. Makes no sense. Franchise is lost.

2-14? yea i seen giants schedule.....have you? take a look at first 8 games of 2018 and 2019 and get back to me on your educated opinion on what schedule is harder then repeat for final 8 games.....oh we lost the great obj so we will be worse right? yet we scored more points per game without him last year.....

and re-read what i wrote about eli having a top RB for a season in his prime....he played with top RB tiki for 32 games WOW nice and eli in your book was in his prime then.....and bradsaw/jacobs nice backs but not top RBs guy has played 2 seasons of his career with pro bowl RBs.....i'll guess ben/rivers had more pro bowl RB seasons and WRs than eli has had....and i'll guess samething with his line.....shame he didnt have the number 1 ranked Oline like ben did last year maybe eli gets 68 mil.....

giants jones 2019.jpg

so you say jones goes in the 3rd round off of what information as a fan? you work in sports media? scouting? coaching? or are you just a FAN who has never earned a dollar doing scouting or coaching at professional level?
we will never know if jones falls to 17 or 30.......giants didnt take the risk....maybe they heard from their insiders that broncos wanted him or bengals or dolphins or skins and he GOT HIS GUY AT 6 rather than chance it....bottom line is we are nobody when it comes to making the PICKS.....scouts, GMs, coaches are the folks that matter......any one that says the giants could have gotten him later have NO GUARANTEE that that could have happened...

Gettlemen could have played it safe got josh allen and draft QB at 17, nope he went for QB that he feels is the guy.....i hope hes right.....my first thought he was wrong....again WHO AM I......he put his money where his mouth is, huge risk for his career.....coach and GM don't get another shot. they got 2 more seasons.....we will see!

Last edited:
Arm is weak, inaccurate, shoulder surgery, couldn’t put up numbers against bad teams and bad defenses.

We don’t know if he would have been there at 17 or round 2 BUT we heard all those teams you list supposedly like Jones and Lock, yet Lock is still around today. Most likely he’s gonna be there and we would have been better off if he wasn’t there.

There’s a reason EVERYONE is laughing at this pick. He was bad in college and he will be bad in the NFL. Could have done so much better at 6

and we will have a top 3 pick next year. We have so many holes on defense, not a single player to rush the passer. OL has gotten better but we need help at WR. Daniel Jones gonna stink it up for 6-8 games and then Tua or Herbert will fall right in our lap. I can’t wait to see the city burn that night

some people get it right some get it wrong.....players at 21 are not the same at 24....some improve yearly some fade away....they see something in him...what? i have no clue....baker looked great last year.....but dude is 24....ya think baker gets drafted 1 or plays that good last season if he came into the NFL 3 years earlier?? i dont think so

quick story.....brady fell to 6th round....pats were not only team that wanted him......the chargers could have had brady......the GM told coach lets draft a young QB, decide who you like and lets get him...the coach picks 2 guys brady and some other dude.....the GM looks at film and says nah to brady.....he isnt any good

maybe there are only a few GMs that wanted him, maybe none top 10, maybe most that looked at him thought he wasnt any good.......point is these scouts, GMs coaches make mistake, they draft busts and they pass on GREAT players.....this week one thing is for sure teams are drafting flat out busts and they are passing on chance to GET HOF/Great/Above avg players....and those that get it right will be at very low % of all the guys who get drafted

another crazy thing is folks really think the manning family wanted jones on giants? insane sure their coach wanted it but you think eli wanted his career to end in NJ? he either has to retire early or go play elsewhere.....and i have news for you....if giants can by chance trade eli they will....if team loses their QB early i can see it happening.....no QB ever wants team to draft QB, never ever

after 8 games only way eli is QB of giants is if giants 5-3...we start off 3-5 his career with giants is over.....

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/4/...9-quarterback-analysis-daniel-jones-ny-giants

Last edited:
Why Giants were right to take a quarterback early -- yes, even Daniel Jones
Giants don't risk someone else drafting their preferred QB
By Ralph Vacchiano | Apr 26 | 1:59PM

• cut.jpg
Daniel Jones is selected as the No. 6 overall pick to the New York Giants in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft in Downtown Nashville. (Christopher Hanewinckel/USA TODAY Sports)
RalphPic_93z5jd5l.png
Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

No one knows for sure if Daniel Jones will be the next Eli Manning or the next Dave Brown. No one is sure whether the Giants' drafted him far too high, or if they were right that he wouldn't have lasted all the way to No. 17.

The only thing that's certain about Jones right now is that the Giants had a strong conviction that the 21-year-old was the right guy to be their future "face of the franchise" and a worthy successor to Manning's throne. They felt so strongly about him that they weren't willing to mess around and tempt fate. They took him the first chance they got, with the sixth overall pick.

And good for them. That's exactly what they're supposed to do.

Maybe history will show they got it wrong. Maybe it'll prove they found the next great quarterback. But one thing history has shown over and over again is that teams have to be aggressive with the most important position in sports. If a team doesn't have a quarterback, they really have nothing. They are in "quarterback hell", as Giants GM Dave Gettleman likes to say.

The Giants were approaching that quickly, with a 38-year-old quarterback showing signs of a decline and entering the final year of what likely will be his final contract with the Giants. The time was now for the Giants to do something.

The time was not for sitting around and waiting for a quarterback to come to them.

Actually, Gettleman had made it pretty clear he wouldn't. He spoke a lot in recent weeks about his "dream" of finding a franchise quarterback. He also made it clear, back at the NFL scouting combine two months ago, that he believed "history will tell you, if you do your studies … all the great QBs went early."

Not all of them, of course. There is a history of late-round gems like Tom Brady and Russell Wilson. But the percentages of finding those are remarkably low. Searching in later rounds for a "face of the franchise" can lead to too many years of Ryan Nassibs, Davis Webbs and Kyle Laulettas. Or it could lead to years of starting the likes of Kent Graham and Danny Kanell.

The first round is where the best quarterbacks are found, and that is becoming more and more true as scouting gets more and more sophisticated. It's also true that, with the surge of spread offenses in college, really elite, pro-ready quarterbacks are getting harder and harder to find.

That's why, in recent years, so many teams have used the "no guts, no glory" approach that Gettleman promised he'd use and have traded up for quarterbacks in the first round. Last year alone, teams traded up for four of the five quarterbacks taken in the first round -- Sam Darnold (the Jets at 3), Josh Allen (the Bills at 7), Josh Rosen (the Cardinals at 10) and Lamar Jackson (the Ravens at 32). One year earlier, the Bears (Mitch Trubisky at 2), Chiefs (Patrick Mahomes at 10) and Houston Texans (DeShaun Watson at 12) all did it. And in 2016, the Rams and Eagles had to move up to take Jared Goff and Carson Wentz 1-2.

There's a reason for that trend. Teams want to be proactive with quarterbacks. They don't want to sit and wait around until their current starter is done. They also realize the uncertainty. Saying, "Wait until next year" is nice, but there's no guarantee any team will be in position to draft an elite quarterback in the future. Also, from year to year, sometimes the status of those elite quarterbacks change. A quarterback they love now could see his stock plummet by the time the 2020 draft rolls around.

That's why Gettleman, when asked if he considered waiting until his second first-round pick, at No. 17, to take Jones, he said, "I was not willing to risk it." As SNY reported, the Giants were concerned that the Washington ******** wanted Jones. They were even worried Washington was trying to trade up ahead of them to draft Jones in the top five. And one NFL source said the Denver Broncos were eying Jones, too, which would explain why shortly after the Giants took him off the board, the Broncos swapped picks with the Steelers and were willing to drop from 10 to 20 in the first round.

Like it or not, Gettleman was "in full-blown love" with Jones, and had been since the Senior Bowl in late January. Coach Pat Shurmur loved him too, and so did many other decision makers in the organization. Those that were unsure at first, according to a team source, came around the more they saw how passionate Gettleman was about him in the end.

It reminded some of former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi's "obsession" with Manning back in 2004. Accorsi began hoping and plotting to land Manning about five months before the draft. When the Giants ended up with the fourth pick that year, he was relentless in trying to make a trade. Not everyone in the organization was sold at the time. Some believed the Giants should stay put and draft Ben Roethlisberger, and that the price for Manning was too high to pay.

But Accorsi had a conviction. To him no move was too bold for a franchise quarterback, no price too high.

"I just believe that you can get by if you have to, but if you have a chance to pick what you think is a quarterback for the ages, you have to go after him," he told me years later. "Because you're not going to get that many opportunities in your life."

Or, to put it another way, as Accorsi did: "You can't give up too much for (John) Elway. You can't overpay (Joe) DiMaggio."

Is Jones an Elway or a DiMaggio? Right now, no one can possibly know. And as unpopular as this move seems right now to Giants fans … well, Eli Manning was a pretty unpopular New York quarterback once, too.

Maybe Gettleman is right about Jones. Maybe he's not. But he strongly believes he has found his Eli Manning. He also knows the old adage that "fortune favors the bold." So criticize him for the player he picked, but don't criticize him for where he picked him. A quarterback is too important. Teams can't just afford to sit around and wait and hope that one falls from the sky.

Gettleman didn't. He made a bold, legacy-defining move that he is convinced will set the Giants up for a decade of success. It's hard not to at least admire him for acting on that.

Same dudes in here that hate the pick were the ones loving Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, list goes on.

With QBs you really never know.

No, some you really know. Out of that list Vince Young was the only legit one and he had a ****ed up attitude. Everyone else had a trash arm.

Not to mention everyone you listed was 100x better than Daniel Jones in college. Think about that.

There's so much more to this.

1. You're paying an aging QB 22-25 mil this year. If you knew you were gonna draft a QB, you cut him earlier and get some players this offseason. You got so much money tied up to Eli.

2. We were told over and over, we are competing this year. We are not looking at a QB at 6. I don't care about him lying about a QB but that goes back to why give Eli 20+ this year when you could have got help. Our defense is basically NCAA status.

3. Once we go 0-5, 1-4 and the fans go crazy cause they want to see this kid, then what? You gonna play him? You have to play him, he was drafted 6. Lock going in the second round can sit a whole year and no one will trip.

This draft pick is so ****in bad.

Last edited:
That’s the whole point though. How good you were in college doesn’t matter. Some of the most hyped prospects ever were elite in college yet were beyond *** in the NFL. Atleast let Jones play a snap first, expectations for him already kinda low.

For the record I could care less about any QB in this draft outside of Murray.

No matter how y’all put it we could’ve got him at 17. We could’ve had a Day 1 starter on defense, impact player at a position we need in Allen.

If we got Allen at 6 then Jones at 17 then fine, I’m with it. But Jones at 6 is horrible with who was on the board at the time. Had a stud fall right in our laps and we went with the full white Dakota Prescott.

If a player is trash in the league then we acknowledge that .... again we have scene players who were highly regarded end up crashing out the league ..... from number one picks.... to headman trophy winners .... to the receivers the lions picked not name Calvin Johnson ..... to highly touted rb like Trent Richardson .....

He is not who I wanted but imma see what he can do when he gets the chance

The Giants just sent WFAN a message saying Eli cancelled his show because he needs a break, not anything else.

This organization is ran but morons.

The interview is 20 minutes once a week. Eli needs a break from that?!?

Why is Eli upset? Does he not know he's 38 and sorry?

^^^hes upset because unless he wins a playoff game his career is over with giants......i'm sure he held out hope that if giants had winning record he would be back in 20....
and giants are gonna have quick hook with him could be if we go 1-3, 3-5 no chance if we are midway point below 500 hes the starter...none....dont forget he replaced warner when giants were 5-4.....

he won't retire.....i can see him on titans or bucs in 20

Eli should be retiring right now to be for real. I can't see a NFL team starting him in 2020. He's a statue with a weak inaccurate arm.

i disagree....eli hasnt had above avg Oline since 2012...last year ben had #1 ranked line.....if eli is on that team he is as good or better than ben....how does brady look as a QB when he has a pass rush? he looks like eli past 2 seasons....

eli manning rating 2018.jpg

Ben is in decline too and he's still better than Eli. Brady is 10x more accurate than Eli. :lol:

Eli has been getting worse and worse the last 3 years. The only time he looked good was when Odell made some magic happen. Eli has not helped Shepard or Engram get better. His comp% was good this past year cuz he was throwing a bunch 2-4 yard passes to Saquon.

brady is 10x better than eli...but the point is when brady has bad games its when his Oline fails him, case in point NY giants in super bowl....and this past season there were games early in the season where he looked human, why? his Oline was trash for stretches........

the only time he looked good was odell? 2nd half of the season they put up points, at least 24 a game from what i recall....obj missed 5 of those games and engram and sheps numbers were better....and engram with insane drops in 2017 way above avg for TE, but eli should help that? and last year he was hurt pretty first 8 games....

how can a QB even get to his 3rd read when he is tops in the league in gettnig rid of the ball quick.....his first 2 reads were obj and barkley he didnt have ALL DAY like ben had.

def not in his prime, def not top QB level but i dont see him one step worse then ben and ben just got 68 mil thanks to his TOP oLine...switch them before season and same story here for ben

i like to keep stating this because i never seen it before....i never seen a team cut starting RG RT during season due to them sucking so bad.....thats epic failure to protect your QB........Oline makes up 45% of the men on the field.....

Last edited:
Eli mad because everyone, including Eli thought we weren’t going QB first round. Eli will get benched at some point and Jones will start. Jones will look worse than Eli and it’s gonna be a disaster

brady is 10x better than eli...but the point is when brady has bad games its when his Oline fails him, case in point NY giants in super bowl....and this past season there were games early in the season where he looked human, why? his Oline was trash for stretches........

the only time he looked good was odell? 2nd half of the season they put up points, at least 24 a game from what i recall....obj missed 5 of those games and engram and sheps numbers were better....and engram with insane drops in 2017 way above avg for TE, but eli should help that? and last year he was hurt pretty first 8 games....

how can a QB even get to his 3rd read when he is tops in the league in gettnig rid of the ball quick.....his first 2 reads were obj and barkley he didnt have ALL DAY like ben had.

def not in his prime, def not top QB level but i dont see him one step worse then ben and ben just got 68 mil thanks to his TOP oLine...switch them before season and same story here for ben

i like to keep stating this because i never seen it before....i never seen a team cut starting RG RT during season due to them sucking so bad.....thats epic failure to protect your QB........Oline makes up 45% of the men on the field.....
You just can't compare Eli and Brady. :lol: Put both of 'em behind good olines and Eli is still gonna struggle to throw down field, accuracy is still gonna be all over the place, still gonna throw terrible INT's. Brady gets the ball out quicker, he reads defenses better it's terrible comparison. Good Oline or not the QB behind the Oline matters.

Eli had a good career, he was clutch in 2 playoff runs but folks need to let it go. He was never a top 5 QB in his career. He's good not great. He's not the type of QB to have longevity cuz his decision making is poor and he's never been the type of QB you can't put a lot on. Even at his best you had to have balance to save him from himself.

Back
Top Bottom