New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i'm not comparing eli to brady......i'm comparing them when their Olines FAIL...all i'm saying is when brady has failure with his Oline he looks avg at best, hes not making deep throws and putting up points......off perfect season scored the most points in NFL history what did he do when he had no time in the pocket? 1 TD? thats not just that season....his 2018 reg wasnt so hot.....i saw one game where he did nothing and he got pressured 20 times....thats on the reg for eli

its insanely comical to me that eli is expected to lose his pro bowl talent and with below avg Oline and no other pro bowl players be above avg? thats what you expect?

you know what you and that guy failed to mention though right? what about LAST season....lose OBJ and have PRO BOWL RB, shep engram YET ELI put up better stats and the offense scored more points.....funny how still having a good player like barkley doesnt sink your stats to pathetic numbers.....but let guess eli should rule the NFL with no help like his brother did....his brother only played with HOF RB and HOF WR i'll bet more pro bowl Olinemen than eli ever had

the hate for eli manning is comical....compare the talent hes played with to ryan, rodgers, ben

NY Giants failed having talent around eli 2012-2018 BELOW avg talent on the Giants compared to teams like pitt/pats/packers etc who make the playoffs every year.

You not comparing Eli and Brady but you keep bringing up "Well when Brady had a bad oline..."

Like I said put both of 'em behind good onlines and Eli is still gonna have games where he throws terrible INT's and bad accuracy. It's who he's been his whole career.

Then you bring up Aaron Rodgers? :lol: Your mindset is exactly why they're keeping him. "well if Eli just had this and that he would be fine". It's denial talk. The 2 playoff runs was great but it's 2019 now, he's old and washed.

How's our OLine looking going into the new season? Gotta eventually put this kid in the best position to succeed

How's our OLine looking going into the new season? Gotta eventually put this kid in the best position to succeed

Supposedly it’s much improved. So they’re hoping they’re getting a more mobile Eli.

Which is a huge mistake because most of NY has hated Eli most of his career. You would find more fans that don’t like Eli than do.

I get it he's washed and maybe shoulda been benched already, but. There're literally zero reasons to hate Eli. If people are hating Eli thats some terrible fan hood.

He should be untouchable, Dirk status.

I get it he's washed and maybe shoulda been benched already, but. There're literally zero reasons to hate Eli. If people are hating Eli thats some terrible fan hood.

He should be untouchable, Dirk status.

I love Eli but if I had guess, I’d say 60% of Giants fans don’t like Eli.

I really hate Boomer, he's awful. We've had the Eagles GM say he loves our GM, the Skins GM has also made fun of the moves our GM has made. We traded the best WR in the game for nothing, drafted a QB at 6 that most people had going in round 2 or 3 and then you look at our record over the last 2-3 years. HOW IN THE **** ARE WE NOT THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE LEAGUE BOOMER???

lets hope the giants don't start off season with like last year with poor play at LT and RT....this guy thinks we improved, and i do as well!

could be first year since 2012 that our Line is above avg....and again Oline makes up 45% of the men on the field for O...45%!!!!

Most improved pass-blocking line: New York Giants

Expected starters: Nate Solder, Will Hernandez, Jon Halapio, Kevin Zeitler, Mike Remmers

At one point during my high school swimming career, I won the team award for most improved swimmer. The subtext for the award was not subtle. The real message was that I had been an embarrassingly slow freestyler and morphed into an acceptably below-average freestyler. Technically, most improved!

That describes the Giants' offensive line.

It will not be good, but it should be better than last season. Though trading Odell Beckham Jr. to the Cleveland Browns was a net negative, one positive of that deal was receiving Zeitler in return. Zeitler's PBWR last season at guard was 80 percent. While that is roughly the league average, he instantly became the Giants' best pass-blocking lineman upon arrival.

Chad Wheeler (with a touch of Ereck Flowers and Brian Mihalik mixed in). That group combined for a 66 percent PBWR -- worst of any team at right tackle.

Tennessee Titans. On paper, they might be the most improved, but Jack Conklin's health questions provide quite a bit of uncertainty.

another good one......good to see some people agree with me how important the group that makes up 45% (offense) of the men on the field is to the level of play for the team....

Pass blocking/pass rush data could be good news for Giants
ESPN analytics show Giants may have had proper offseason focus

By Ed Valentine@Valentine_Ed Jun 8, 2019, 11:44am EDTSHARE
usa_today_11415788.0.jpg

Nate Solder
Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
ESPN’s Next Gen Stats has, for the past year or so, been producing data on what it calls pass blocking and pass rushing “win rate.” ESPN recently released what I believe is its most in-depth information on the findings from those numbers to date, and there is positive news for the New York Giants in the results.

ESPN’s post is headlined “Pass blocking matters more than pass rushing, and we can prove it.”

The hard data shows that the Giants were 27th in the NFL last season with a pass block win rate of only 43 percent. That means that 57 percent of the time a pass rusher defeated his block in less than 2.5 seconds. ESPN says it uses that number simply because, from the snap, it equates roughly to how long it takes NFL quarterbacks to throw the ball.

In terms of pass rush win rate the Giants fared surprisingly well. The Giants were 18th in the league with a 50 percent pass rush win rate. This corresponds with research from Dan Pizzutashowing the Giants, per Sports Info Solutions, were ninth in the league in pressure rate at 32.14 percent. The fact that they were second-last in the league with 30 sacks means simply that they didn’t turn enough pressures into sacks.

Why could this data be good news for the Giants?
Because of what they accomplished in the offseason.

Pass blocking
We know that Eli Manning was under siege in 2018, especially the first half of the season. He was sacked a career-most 47 times. That amounted to Manning being taken down on 7.5 percent of his pass attempts, also easily a career-worst.

As Geoff Schwartz recently reminded us, the data tells us that “passing the ball is more important than rushing the ball” and that “passing efficiency is the most important stat that correlates to winning a game.”
ESPN’s Seth Walder says:

Teams that blocked well won more than teams that rushed the passer well.

In a given game from 2016-2018, the team with the better season-long PBWR won 60 percent of the time, while the team with the better PRWR won 52 percent of the time.

Walder also points out that “Three of the four conference finalists in 2018 finished the regular season ranked in the top four in pass block win rate.”

Back to the Giants.

The left side of the Giants’ line, Nate Solder and Will Hernandez, surrendered 12 sacks last season. Only one (Solder) came in the second half of the season, though, as the veteran and rookie got used to each other. That improvement should continue.

Jon Halapio is back and will be the center if he’s healthy. Matt Williamson tells us in his film study that Halapio does his best work in pass protection. In his two-game 2018 sample, Halapiograded far better in pass protection per Pro Football Focus (87.5) than run blocking (69.4) and did not allow a single pressure.

New right guard Kevin Zeitler allowed three sacks last season while, per PFF, compiling the league’s highest pass blocking efficiency rate among guards at 98.9.

Right tackle Chad Wheeler allowed five sacks and 43 pressures in 534 pass blocking snaps. His 95.3 pass blocking efficiency rating was 53rd of 58 qualifying tackles.

Remmers, playing his weaker position of guard, gave up seven sacks and 42 pressures in 705 pass blocking snaps. His pass blocking efficiency score was 96.3. In 2017, Remmers played 337 pass blocking snaps at right tackle, did not allow a sack and had a pass blocking efficiency score of 97.0.

In other words, the Giants should be improved across the entire offensive line in pass blocking.

Pass rushing
The Giants are gambling on the potential of Lorenzo Carter and Oshane Ximines, a return to form by Markus Golden, and hopeful improvements in the secondary to help them create enough pass rush.

What if the Giants don’t get the production they are hoping for from these guys, or the push they are hoping for from defensive linemen Dexter Lawrence, B.J. Hill and Dalvin Tomlinson?

ESPN’s research says simply that inability to rush the passer is less important than inability to block for one.

On this, the results are more clear. It’s better to have the best offensive line. It just matters more. Given the attention and accolades that pass-rushers receive, this is somewhat surprising. But offenses across the league have a wider distribution of skill than defenses. This means that the best offenses tend to outperform the top defenses.

When in doubt in team building, it makes sense to lean toward the offense where an advantage is leveraged the most. And along the line of scrimmage is no different. Good pass blocking bests good pass rushing.

So, if we accept ESPN’s data and Pizzuta’s assertion that the secondary was a bigger problem for the Giants than the pass rush in 2018, this data is all good news for New York.

Of course, whether or not you accept these findings as correct is entirely up to you.

Last edited:
Baker Mayfield now taking shots at the organization and fanbase. Heard it on the radio.

Our OL is looking good. Should be much improved.

Daniel Jones only playing one series? Hahahaha. They want him to end the night looking good.

Last edited:
The Giants man, damn. This team is ran by morons.

3rd and 8 and you run a draw with Eli.

Next series, you give Daniel Jones better plays to run to make him look better against the Jets backups. Then take him out after a series cause he looked good.

They did all of this intentionally.

This Giants defense is awful, Peppers has to make that pick. Team is garbage.

^^^^are you being serious?

they set up eli for failure? gave better plays? this is pre season, these are their C plays/basic plays same for D.

its PRE season, these games mean nothing. i don't get too high or 2 low off these games. i don't even know why eli played in the first game, most vets QBs took off week 1.

and from my understanding unless its changed, the 3rd game first half is when teams TRY out more sophisticated aspects from their play book.

i think what you wrote about setting up eli for failure can be possible, anything is possible.....it wouldnt shock me that coach/gm feel that eli is done and they want to start clock on jones era asap........imo eli gives them best chance to win and thats who they go with

Drafting another Eli because of his temperament and how he handles things is hilarious and shows how clueless they are.

Eli has been hated in NY until his second ring. Then a couple years after that he was hated again. Then when he got benched, all the sudden NY loved Eli. NY doesn’t need another Eli, that’s what I know. Daniel also doesn’t have the arm Eli had coming out.

From what I've read/heard, Jones has some running ability Eli couldn't dream of, but otherwise I can't argue against, or for, the draft choice.

eli is good in my book..... brady / big brother/ big ben.... only qbs in his generation with 2 or more rings..... dont get the hate, even though we know he aint the same....

interested to see if he plays the whole season , or they give the rook the reigns by november

FOOTBALL IS BACK!

as usual i have high hopes that the giants have built a team that can contend....for the 5 th year in a row i'm expecting improvement from the Oline....and this year is gonna be it...LT played much better 2nd half.... flowers was replaced by wheeler last year and it was improvement over flowers for sure but wheeler shouldnt be a starting tackle and he is not on the roster this season for good reason....remmers was decent 2 years ago at RT and hopefully he can be that for us.....the guards are the best we have had since 2012, one is pro bowl level good in pass game and the other is a force that could be well above avg......

i think we are going to see a lot of 2 TE sets.....with good reason engram is ready to take that step up to pro bowl level TE and barkley and him are going to be nightmare for LBs/safetys to cover(watch out landon!)

D has 9 new starters wow, it hurts losing landon loved watching him play and really think the reason he sucks at at covering is when he has to pick up someone in coverage that comes into his zone which is the system of D we had under new coordinator. when he had a guy to cover pre snap he did good covering him......back on track: coordinator has his system with guys that fit it.....no excuses he needs to get this D back to avg or better.....i believe this coordinator had the cards top 10 at least one season.....if we are top 10 that would be insane.....pass rush needs a few 8-9 sack guys and plenty of pressure from them and others.....
Lawrence 6.5 sacks as freshman and dropped off next 2 years....giants didnt draft a snacks replacement they drafted a guy to play like warren sapp....is he? no idea but he and baker are key rookies....if they are not helping the d with + plays then this D will be trash
Ximines = 3 sacks in pre season

Eli is going to have some big games this season, if its early momentum can carry giants to 10 win season...beat dallas and i don't think they fall below 500 all season.
the worst performance of by Oline last season was vs cowboys , 8 QB hits and 20 pressures? barkley's worst game and giants only lost by 7.

i think giants 8-10 wins

philly is oozing with talent ....they are winning 9-14 games....NFC east is always tough...i need to do some research....id bet NFC east and NFC south has had most playoff teams past 15 years

Ab to the Patriots already ruined the season for me, do want to see this team surprise some experts v

Back
Top Bottom