2023 Official MLB Season Thread

I get the logic of people saying “i know who won in 2017 regardless of what punishment happened”. But stripping the title, removing the banner from their ballpark, and taking back the trophy is more so meant to humiliate them than anything.

20 years from now this will all be forgotten about. But if in the history book it’s blank for 2017, or they have an astreisk next to their name. It makes sure their fraudulent activities aren’t forgotten.

This is perfect.

From the Athletic Rosenthal article:
Early in the 2017 season, at least two uniformed Astros got together to start the process. One was a hitter who was struggling at the plate and had benefited from sign stealing with a previous team, according to club sources; another was a coach who wanted to help. They were said to strongly believe that some opposing teams were already up to no good.

Willing to bet good money this player is Carlos Beltran and his previous team that was sign stealing was St Louis

I get the logic of people saying “i know who won in 2017 regardless of what punishment happened”. But stripping the title, removing the banner from their ballpark, and taking back the trophy is more so meant to humiliate them than anything.

20 years from now this will all be forgotten about. But if in the history book it’s blank for 2017, or they have an astreisk next to their name. It makes sure their fraudulent activities aren’t forgotten.

Missed this earlier, but it is absolutely spot on. Great post.

This is why I can't side with the argument that stripping the title WON'T be effective. Yes, these individuals make millions of dollars, but the legacy thing is real because they're all competitors. Players came out CLEAN in all of this, so it's not stopping because the risk/reward is worth it. Eternal shaming would be effective IMO, because unlike public opinion it'll be in the record books.

I don't care if they were caught, every single team in the sport is doing something similar or close to. It's pointless to chase and debate. It's like arguing over which CFB spends more briefcase money. They ALL doin it. Some just better at it.

Same here.

The millions of dollars this city and the Astros received by winning in 2017 is nothing to look past. Think it possibly should of been harsher. Now by firing Luhnow, they’ve sort of circumvented the one year suspension of their GM and can hire a new one that can work immediately.

Im glad they were suspended and fired but I dont buy for one second that the owner didnt know about this and dude is saving face. Give me a break.

Teams always been trying to steal signs but using electronic aids and the other methods they were using was ridiculous. Get em the hell out of here

The millions of dollars this city and the Astros received by winning in 2017 is nothing to look past. Think it possibly should of been harsher. Now by firing Luhnow, they’ve sort of circumvented the one year suspension of their GM and can hire a new one that can work immediately.

They should only be able to hire from within the organization for the duration of that suspension. Being able to hire a new gm from outside the organization, and ultimately him hiring a new manager defeats the purpose of the suspension. It should be general manager by committee and an interim manager for this year. They can hire permanent guys for those roles once the suspension ends.

I don't care if they were caught, every single team in the sport is doing something similar or close to. It's pointless to chase and debate. It's like arguing over which CFB spends more briefcase money. They ALL doin it. Some just better at it.

Same here.

of course there will always be ppl toeing the line
But these dudes habitually stepped and diddy bopped all over it
Road/home splits just prove they had to cheat to win
And to make matters worse, you got a coach who took this tactic to another club
MLB can’t have this happening

Players should not be exempt from punishment. They characterized the schemes as "player-driven," but then don't punish the players.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom