2023 Track and Field Thread — Diamond League Finals

Expecting Grant Holloway, Divine, Richardson to all turn pro, wonder which sheo companies sign them and if they get close to the Sydney's numbers

DL Oslo Bislett Games today, this 400m hurdles Women was lit, Sydney with the W in her DL debut for this event. Warholm European Record in 400m Mens hurdles, too bad Samba is hurt right now. Coleman a good 9.85

Richardson has signed with Nike and will stay in school and continue to train with Dennis Shaver at LSU. I wonder what the compensation might be for Shaver/LSU in her deal

Ostrava Golden Spike today w300m Shaunae Miller-Uibo 34.41 WB, I could see her going sub 48 in the 400m in Doha

Richardson has signed with Nike and will stay in school and continue to train with Dennis Shaver at LSU. I wonder what the compensation might be for Shaver/LSU in her deal

Ostrava Golden Spike today w300m Shaunae Miller-Uibo 34.41 WB, I could see her going sub 48 in the 400m in Doha

How can you sign a deal what's an apparel company and remain in school? Is she eligible to receive compensation while competing in NCAA sports? Is this like a Jeremy Bloom situation when he was at Oregon?

She's not going to be competing for LSU, just remaining in BR to train with Shaver still like how Kerron Clement stayed in Gainesville after he first signed his deal to turn pro and some other ppl. Aleia Hobbs is still there along with Mondo Duplantis when he's stateside, Mitchell-Blake was training there last season still too under Shaver. Lolo Jones trained under Shaver for awhile after she 1st turned pro way back then.

USC coach Caryl Smith Gilbert gets 10% of any contract from any USC athlete that signs with Nike so I was wondering if Shaver has something similar with Nike. Norman signed 6 year deal with Nike, $5M total without performance incentives, so a little over $800k/year base. Not sure what Rai Benjamin signed for but 10% of Norman and Benjamin is a good amount of money. Not sure how much Richardson got from Nike, doubt it's Sydney type money from NB but with NB signing Sydney and Gabi Thomas last yr I'm sure Nike threw richardson a good amount with her potential marketability as the next elite 100m/200m female American Sprinter

How can you sign a deal what's an apparel company and remain in school? Is she eligible to receive compensation while competing in NCAA sports? Is this like a Jeremy Bloom situation when he was at Oregon?

Last edited:
The 400m at Prefontaine should be the inauguration of the new 400 King, Michael Norman. Its amazing how fleeting success can be in this event. Just a few years back I thought Jeremy Wariner would dominate this event for years like Michael Johnson did in the 90's. Then Merritt took over. Then Kirani beat Merritt, and soon Van Niekerk arrived. Now Norman looks unbeatable. Less than 7 years ago, Angelo Taylor sat #10 all time with his 44.05, and the only people in front of him were 9 other Americans.

Jamaican National Championships lit, ET and SAFP both 10.73!!!!!! 17 yr old Phenom Briana Williams 3rd in 10.94!!!!

Asafa Powell is scheduled to run the 100, trying for 5th WC team. He has 97 sub-10 marks, idk if he will get to 100 sub-10s now at 36 yrs old he's so close.

That track/ times in Jamaica is flawed .... every year runners run season / personal best there and for the rest of the season they struggle to duplicate it ...

Same thing in Trinidad .... the runners run well in tnt but when they run outside they can never get the same times .... it’s weird

Glad for Brianna..... she the future ...

The 2 Jamaicans will be tough to beat at Doha, i'm pulling for Asher-Smith but she'll need to be peaking to have a chance against them

Briana took down Candace Hill's World U18 (Youth) Record of 10.98 with her 10.94. Ato Bolden has been bigging her up all year and for good reason. Withdraws from the 200m, after having run the 100m with a fever http://ilovejamaicans.com/briana-williams-withdraws-from-200m-at-jamaican-trials-citing-illness/

Most sub 10.80s of all time:

Marion Jones: 13
SAFP: 12
ET: 7
CJ: 5
well ato is her trainer so its only right for him to do so

hope she passes marion jones..... dont like anyone who got banned to have ay records

The 2 Jamaicans will be tough to beat at Doha, i'm pulling for Asher-Smith but she'll need to be peaking to have a chance against them
should be a good final, with 2 jamaican , 2 ivory coast , asha, combo of usa runners..... should be a great final

Jamaican National Championships lit, ET and SAFP both 10.73!!!!!! 17 yr old Phenom Briana Williams 3rd in 10.94!!!!

Asafa Powell is scheduled to run the 100, trying for 5th WC team. He has 97 sub-10 marks, idk if he will get to 100 sub-10s now at 36 yrs old he's so close.

I see you Shelly-Ann. Crazy she is still doing it at THAT level man.

Potentially Schippers too even tho she should probably focus on 200m and not double but I got a feeling she will and run a 10.9x and come in 6th or something

should be a good final, with 2 jamaican , 2 ivory coast , asha, combo of usa runners..... should be a great final

I think Jamaican Women have the foot speed to break WR for 4x100 relay, Elaine said after the 100m final "We've found our lead off" referring to Briana Williams

More pics of Richardson please

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Rai Benjamin doing what he does. Made it look easy, winning by almost 2 seconds. Richardson pro debut at Pre and getting a taste of the top level. Coleman 9.81 and Gatlin 9.87 at 37 yrs old. He's sticking around just long enough to break Kim Collins' 40+ WR of 9.93, which was Collins' PR. He'll be 40 in 2022. No other 40-year-old has broken 10.00

I think Gatlin retires within the next 2 years. I remember him saying in an interview that after Tokyo he would be done but I could see him pushing to 2021. The year after the Olympics is usually a good one for Track & Field. If he continues to drop times like this though he may be around as long as Kim Collins was lol.

I'm anxious to see how athletes do at USA's. Championships are usually around this time but they've switched it to July this year. I think it benefits the college kids tremendously as they have more time to recover from NCAA's and a long season. I know some of the Pro's have tweaked training to peak at the right time. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Athletissima Lausanne DL: Noah Lyles 19.50 not a lane 7 WR (Yohan Blake 19.26), only Bolt, Blake and Michael Johnson has ran faster times in the 200m. Gatlin another sub 10 race with a 9.92

Back
Top Bottom