NIKE Air Jordan IV OG White Fire Red: Black Friday 2020: Nov. 28th

If you passed on the BM’s just because of the tongue then you missed out IMO
Yeah to me the 2016 was the first real retro of it in ages. I’d much rather have Nike Air and the wrong tongue than what they were releasing before with the giant tacky jumpman.

Unfortunately they just won’t give us the whole package. Though I got my hopes up for my first love the black tongue fire reds since the tongue is black!! Surely they can’t mess that tongue up. Right?.....

my 99 Retro 4s crumbled in year 8. Wish i knew about sole swapping back then
Yeah my 99 and 2000 retros midsole crumbled in year 7 and 8 and earlier which included my bc4. Fire red 5. And infrared 6. My heart crumbled too. I kept them DS for too long and then ****ed around with sea glow when it was discovered to unyellow. Hard lessons. I wear all my **** now.

I got my hopes up for my first love the black tongue fire reds since the tongue is black!! Surely they can’t mess that tongue up. Right?.....

29FACCE3-213B-47EC-99AF-FA849F95DDF5.jpeg

The tongue is super stiff.
The tongue on the 2015 pair is def oversized and rather stiff, but the 2020s tongue is about perfect IMO, it’s noticeably smaller and softer..

And honestly, when I look at them compared to my old 2000 pair (size 7:nthat:) I think I like the shinier tongue material more. And if your wearing them in the sun or with pants on it’s not even noticeable really.

I could MAYBE ALMOST (not really though) understand passing on the 2015 B/M 5s because you don’t like the tongue, but if you passed on the 2020 Fire Reds over the tongue, you’re seriously missing out. The 2020s were a significant improvement in almost all aspects, including the tongue. Also the midsole and support is better, def more comfortable and supportive than the 2015s.

I’ve put quite a bit of wear on both those shoes, and the difference is very noticeable once you’ve put some miles on them.

I know this isn't the fire reds but damn I hope this isn't what they look like shape is ugly af!
20200920_172425.jpg
All the molds are still bunz.

But I agree, the mold on the PSGs look like a regression from the Black Cats, Neons, and Metallics.

JB is all over the place with the molds. They make slight improvements and make it seem they are heading in the right direction, then they take a step back.

I know this isn't the fire reds but damn I hope this isn't what they look like shape is ugly af!
20200920_172425.jpg

smh12.gif

I actually seen these before, and that's EXACTLY what we're getting with the Fire Red 4's. The tongues might've been fixed, but that's EXACTLY what we're getting. They dropped the Black Cement, and Black Cat's, and regressed back to the 2012-2016 mold. It's SUPER obvious with the pics they dropped on SNKRS. They have the same stitching under the wings, and everything. With that said, I think I'm 75% sure I'm passing this November.

|l |l |l |l |l |l |l |l

All the molds are still bunz.

But I agree, the mold on the PSGs look like a regression from the Black Cats, Neons, and Metallics.

JB is all over the place with the molds. They make slight improvements and make it seem they are heading in the right direction, then they take a step back.

It's the same thing they did with the Top 3 5's, Apple Greens and Grapes. The toe boxes were atrocious on ALL of the pairs. However, they were MARVELOUS, on the 2020 Fire Red 5's. I can't stand these ****** bastards at Nike/JB. In fact, I'm REALLY, REALLY starting to hate them. SERIOUSLY NikeTalk.

|l

Last edited:
Yeah that shape there is a little janky

but that colorway is fire lol

really.gif

A little janky???

Man, I think you need to look again fam. This is basically what we're getting bruh.

20190805_110318.jpg

***** were absolute trash. And to think, if these had the OG height & shape, they would've been an almost perfect retro. Swing and a MF'N miss.

|l |l |l |l |l |l |l |l |l |l |l

Last edited:
This years OG 5s were such an excellent retro, I feel the need to give them a somewhat in-depth review on here sometime cuz I don’t think they get enough love.. After putting a couple months of pretty solid wear on them, I am extremely impressed with them. THEY ARE BEST RETRO 5s EVER!!! CANT WAIT FOR THE REST OF THE COLORWAYS!!
They’re a lot better than I expected and they get better the more I wear them. They are in no way better than the 2000 pair though.

I hope one day we can have a similar debate about 4s 😢
If you passed on the BM’s just because of the tongue then you missed out IMO

I know we should be talking about this in the dedicated thread, but the more I look at these FR Vs, the more I love them. In the context of JB retros, they did a good job on these, and ... proving how easy it is for these idiots at Nike to make us reasonably happy, to me most of it starts with the toe box.

I hate this stupid (and relatively new, which makes it more irritating) tongue eff up, but I'll trade the toe-box fix for the tongue all day, even though we shouldn't have to.

I too skipped the 2016 black/metallics because the combination of the tongue and the janky toe threw it all off enough to me that they just didn't work. I know it was pedantic, and the OGs are one of my favorite Js of all time. Had 'em back then and loved 'em. The 2016 retros were around on shelves for a good week or so, and I picked them up three times in stores to look at ... and I just couldn't do it, even though I wanted to. And this was at a time when I was buying stuff left and right. But because I remember the way they should be, they just seemed off enough to not give me the feeling I wanted, so I don't think I missed out on anything, honestly. These new fire reds, though, are excellent in relative terms.

Last edited:
I know we should be talking about this in the dedicated thread, but the more I look at these FR Vs, the more I love them. In the context of JB retros, they did a good job on these, and ... proving how easy it is for these idiots at Nike to make us reasonably happy, to me most of it starts with the toe box.

I hate this stupid (and relatively new, which makes it more irritating) tongue eff up, but I'll trade the toe-box fix for the tongue all day, even though we shouldn't have to.

I too skipped the 2016 black/metallics because the combination of the tongue and the janky toe threw it all off enough to me that they just didn't work. I know it was pedantic, and the OGs are one of my favorite Js of all time. Had 'em back then and loved 'em. The 2016 retros were around on shelves for a good week or so, and I picked them up three times in stores to look at ... and I just couldn't do it, even though I wanted to. And this was at a time when I was buying stuff left and right. But because I remember the way they should be, they just seemed off enough to not give me the feeling I wanted, so I don't think I missed out on anything, honestly. These new fire reds, though, are excellent in relative terms.
Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come with the OG 5s. I desperately want my first Jordan ever the 1990 black tongue fire red 5s to be done justice. I couldn’t bring myself to cop the retro of it. It was so far off from what I remember.

dc933b61-f314-4bc4-b2a2-4ae319aca802-jpeg.2656547

E3EA620E-098C-4B1B-B413-EF87DB4F6EA7.jpeg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Attachments

• DC933B61-F314-4BC4-B2A2-4AE319ACA802.jpeg
    DC933B61-F314-4BC4-B2A2-4AE319ACA802.jpeg
    754.9 KB · Views: 436

really.gif

A little janky???

Man, I think you need to look again fam. This is basically what we're getting bruh.

20190805_110318.jpg

***** were absolute trash. And to think, if these had the OG height & shape, they would've been an almost perfect retro. Swing and a MF'N miss.

I’m 100% with you on the shapes being bad and such but imo the Toe at least on the Oregon 5s/black metallics and fresh prince no lace pair all had a very similar slant as the 99/2000 pairs did.

I’m again with you on being pissed on height shape and overall build being bad on 4s but if you copped the white cements and black cements previously can you actually pass on these being that those 2 were just as bad if not worse. Just some food for thought.

Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come with the OG 5s. I desperately want my first Jordan ever the 1990 black tongue fire red 5s to be done justice. I couldn’t bring myself to cop the retro of it. It was so far off from what I remember.

dc933b61-f314-4bc4-b2a2-4ae319aca802-jpeg.2656547

E3EA620E-098C-4B1B-B413-EF87DB4F6EA7.jpeg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well we took 2 big steps in the right direction this year with the toe on the fire reds and the og style 23 on the top 3 and bel airs. I’d be perfectly happy to get the silver tongue mold and og 23 with the black tongues. Fingers crossed.

Along those lines, I don’t think it’s necessarily puretrolling from Nike/jb when it comes to these shape/mold issues and going back and forth like how they seemingly reverted some of the improvements on the 4 and 5 mold. I think it’s probably just a phased approach to updating the different manufacturing sites.

I do manufacturing process development for a living, so I know that you don’t just flip a switch and have a new product. A design and a way to make it is just the first step. There are many hurdles in the way when it comes to dealing with corporate red tape, procurement, training at foreign manufacturing sites, etc. etc...

So, likely what happened with the fire red 5s was they narrowed the production to 1-2 factories where they installed the new lasts and trained the staff on the updates. These updates are probably coming to the rest of the factories and future releases at some point, but they made it a priority to include it for the fire reds.

I dont care who you are or where you are from the 2000 retro 5's are as close to og as we will ever get. especially because of the actual Durabuck used.
Everyone is a leather expert these days though which is super unfortunate. Imagine the uproar among these idiot shoetubers if they released these with the correct durabuck. “THIS LEATHER IS GARBAGE!!” I don’t know if we’re gonna get that durabuck on white based Js anymore, unfortunately.

really.gif

A little janky???

20190805_110318.jpg

That is the exact shape that all these new 4s are looking like, I hate the 2016 shape cement was almost perfect. I never got into went and got a 99 instead just to semi be happy. I really want to see in hand pics of the fire reds I'm super on the fence, but I feel like I trust your word more then most at this point.

Ugh man all the 5s this year were crushing they all had that bubble toe like the 2016s. The Fire Reds were super nice too but my toe box was still way improved and the whole shape all together were super nice too.

Yeah, I'd love to see this white durabuck all the OGs rave about.
Have you seen the 99 white cement 4s or 2000 fire red 5s in hand? Those were durabuck. The whole upper yellowed out a bit but it's super soft and playable. The black durabuck is more like a really short nubuck mixed with leather. I love the matieral on OG shoes about a little more then the actual shoe.

Back
Top Bottom