2020 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

Joined Jan 14, 2014
Why doesn’t Nike sue people that produce fakes or customs?
Fakes are made in China, so the Chinese govt. isn't going to do anything to help an American company. Customs are interesting, if you buy the real product you can do what you want, paint it, alter it etc. It makes me wonder about people like the Shoe Surgeon, do they make their shoes from scratch? Do they pay royalties?

j mobile

Supporter
Joined Oct 26, 2014
Shoulda put out the low to hi retro and called it a day.
A low to high retro of the original Pigeons would’ve been so damn dope! I do LOVE the Black Pigeons though. The Panda Pigeons on the other hand, just aight IMO. I’d rather have something like the Concord Dunk SB Lows instead.

blackfrankwhite

Supporter
Joined Feb 17, 2016
Fakes are made in China, so the Chinese govt. isn't going to do anything to help an American company. Customs are interesting, if you buy the real product you can do what you want, paint it, alter it etc. It makes me wonder about people like the Shoe Surgeon, do they make their shoes from scratch? Do they pay royalties?
I was actually just looking at his site and it looks like he uses Nike/Jordan models for all of his customs. Part of the cost of his products go into sourcing the actual Nike shoe.

He clearly states on the product page that what he is offering is a “service”, and I think that’s the big difference here. Surgeon offers the customization of an actual Nike shoe. Lotas made his own shoe, ripped off the Nike dunk model and colorways, and sold it as his own design.

selfmade__89

formerly selfmadeapparel
Joined Jan 31, 2008
I was actually just looking at his site and it looks like he uses Nike/Jordan models for all of his customs. Part of the cost of his products go into sourcing the actual Nike shoe.

He clearly states on the product page that what he is offering is a “service”, and I think that’s the big difference here. Surgeon offers the customization of an actual Nike shoe. Lotas made his own shoe, ripped off the Nike dunk model and colorways, and sold it as his own design.
Shoesurgeon is a huge inspiration to customizers , he may only do a few models but his quality and craftmanship are elite!

I ALWAYS found it weird that NIKE NEVER bats an eye at him even though his customs (98% Jordan 1s) are around $1700 and his classes for students were $5000 at the beginning, jesus. it may come to to authenticity as im sure he never uses FAKE shoes as bases

Joined Jan 14, 2014

Thanks for the info.

Joined Nov 16, 2018
I wonder how BA got away with it?
I'm sure there's more to it than just this, but Bathing Ape is a Japanese brand, owned by I.T. which is a Hong Kong investment company.

In comparison,, Lotas was set up and registered as an LLC right here in the U.S. (the dumbest **** he could've done)

There's a reason fakes aren't made in the states.
Cool lil fashion channel. Was just watching this a few weeks ago:

In short:
Bape actually switch things around making a ripoff, yet a completely original shoe. Most notably they used their logo. No too close to Nike branding are feature, and even if Nike wanted sued them they couldn't b/c the 20yr copyright patent on the Uptown's expired the year the Bapesta's released (82-02).

Joined Oct 19, 2019
they didn't buy bape until 2010ish, well after bape had started selling the bapesta. they did recently change the design to it being slightly different than an af1.
****, I meant to type *now owned by I.T.

But while the Hong Kong layer puts up more hurdles now, I wonder if the fact that Nigo was doing this all out of Japan (regardless of worldwide spread) played a factor in why Nike decided to embrace it instead of pursue it.

Joined Jul 16, 2017
Joined Oct 19, 2019
Cool lil fashion channel. Was just watching this a few weeks ago:

In short:
Bape actually switch things around making a ripoff, yet a completely original shoe. Most notably they used their logo. No too close to Nike branding are feature, and even if Nike wanted sued them they couldn't b/c the 20yr copyright patent on the Uptown's expired the year the Bapesta's released (82-02).
That's pretty interesting actually. It's also probably why Nike seems to be going after WL for Trademark infringement. The patent on dunks is up, but he made the mistake of referring to them as "dunks" even if the shoe isn't branded as such. And "dunk" is trademarked. That jason swoosh, while hideous, is also still a swoosh.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 17, 2015
The sad part is resale prices on the WL will probably go up because of this. Dudes on eBay will put them up with a caption like “The shoes Nike doesn’t want you to own!” As long as that clown doesn’t make another dime off of them I’m cool with whatever.
Also, how funny would it be if fake factories started making fakes of them? That would be mind warping for sure.
They already have.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now