2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CMC, Teddy and a first would be good for Houston unless they could get 2 firsts + more somewhere else. Not sure I'd like it for Carolina or Watson though.

The 8th (9th?) pick, a subpar underwhelming QB, and running back that’s pretty much been run into the ground isn’t good for Houston. That poo poo platter is what you’d get in exchange for a healthy Marcus Mariota or healthy Jake Locker

Watson would be nice to have. Hell any elite qb is a luxury to have, but it’s not the end all be all if you have to trade a bunch of first round picks (talent on team friendly deals) and decent players currently on your team on top of that. You’re going to deplete your current and future resources and essentially become the Texans minus the disfunction in the process. And I don’t blame Houston for trying to get as much as they can and if they do trade him, try to salvage the mess Bill O Brien left as best as possible.

But the whole, “You need an elite qb to win in today’s NFL” is overblown to me unless it’s Tom Brady. If you’re fortunate enough to land one through the draft or you trade up to land one without giving up the world, that’s one thing. But doing what Houston is going to want is crazy to me.

Aaron Rodgers has been the starter for Green Bay for 13 seasons. Drew Brees was the Saints starter for 15 seasons. 28 seasons combined between two of the best quarterbacks of all time who put up crazy numbers consistently. 2 super bowl appearances total between the two during that stretch and neither has gone since January 2011. Russell Wilson hasn’t gone to a Super Bowl since 2015, Ben Roethlesberger 2011. Having a top caliber qb doesn’t guarantee anything.

If Houston is high on Trey he's probably there at 8 to replace Deshaun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I'm Houston I'd take that (I believe more than one first will be in there)

The 8th (9th?) pick, a subpar underwhelming QB, and running back that’s pretty much been run into the ground isn’t good for Houston. That poo poo platter is what you’d get in exchange for a healthy Marcus Mariota or healthy Jake Locker

Considering their situation, I think it would be. You get 2 starters and a first round pick to get your next Q. Next season they can cut both and create a ton of space all the while having an outside chance of being competitive.

It's that or Watson with empty cupboards.

But I also said if no one else is offering better...so 2 firsts. Regardless, you just gotta move on from Watson.

Watson would be nice to have. Hell any elite qb is a luxury to have, but it’s not the end all be all if you have to trade a bunch of first round picks (talent on team friendly deals) and decent players currently on your team on top of that. You’re going to deplete your current and future resources and essentially become the Texans minus the disfunction in the process. And I don’t blame Houston for trying to get as much as they can and if they do trade him, try to salvage the mess Bill O Brien left as best as possible.

But the whole, “You need an elite qb to win in today’s NFL” is overblown to me unless it’s Tom Brady. If you’re fortunate enough to land one through the draft or you trade up to land one without giving up the world, that’s one thing. But doing what Houston is going to want is crazy to me.

Aaron Rodgers has been the starter for Green Bay for 13 seasons. Drew Brees was the Saints starter for 15 seasons. 28 seasons combined between two of the best quarterbacks of all time who put up crazy numbers consistently. 2 super bowl appearances total between the two during that stretch and neither has gone since January 2011. Russell Wilson hasn’t gone to a Super Bowl since 2015, Ben Roethlesberger 2011. Having a top caliber qb doesn’t guarantee anything.

QB is never a solution for everything but having a top guy can cover some holes for you. Nick Foles, Rex Grossman and Trent Dilfers of the like are the exception not the rule

End of the day team building will always be about drafting and using FA to fill gaps and you gotta keep churning young and cheap prospects. 1st round picks aren't the end all be all of team building

Grabbing Watson doesn't guarantee a SB berth but it provides you some relief at a pretty important position. You still have to do your job and build a team though, no one should deny that

Last edited:
Who is going to beat the Bucs or Chiefs? Maybe the Packers. The ******** if they traded for Watson. The Rams or Steelers with Watson. I just don't see many teams that need a QB making noise next year.

QB is never a solution for everything but having a top guy can cover some holes for you. Nick Foles, Rex Grossman and Trent Dilfers of the like are the exception not the rule

End of the day team building will always be about drafting and using FA to fill gaps and you gotta keep churning young and cheap prospects. 1st round picks aren't the end all be all of team building

Grabbing Watson doesn't guarantee a SB berth but it provides you some relief at a pretty important position. You still have to do your job and build a team though, no one should deny that

Good points. I agree on it covering holes. I also agree 1st round picks aren’t the end all be all either. Especially if you’re a team that historically drafts poorly. I just disagree with the whole notion that you can’t win without an elite qb that I see people pitching at times.
If you’re able to land your franchise qb in a manner similar to how New Orleans landed Drew Brees, by all means go for it. I just don’t think giving up what Houston is going to want for Watson is practical. Now if Watson can apply pressure and Houston gets desperate and some team swoops in and fleeces them. That’s an entirely different story. And potentially possible given how poorly ran that organization is.

I mean just look at the chiefs with everything going on they were still 14-2 and in the super bowl

russ been covering up some terrible offensive coaches.. plus not great talent at important spots

dilfer had one of the greatest defenses ever, if not THE greatest.. foles basically had a full preseason at the end of the season to get ready.. and grossman had the greatest returner ever doing work

having a great QB just makes things easier.. but you still gotta be smarter than drafting a RB in the 1st

having the QB just raises the floor, elway in the 80s being a great example.. could get them there but couldn’t do it alone

On another note. It legitimately is crazy that Brees and Rodgers both only went to one super bowl each.

Granted they caught some bad breaks, GB losing that onside kick NFC title game to Seattle and wetting the bed against the Giants the year they went 15-1. New Orleans with the no call pass interference against the Rams and that game they lost to the Vikings on the last play the year prior.

But those organizations did a decent job. Wouldn’t say they were perfect organizations in terms of providing talent, but they weren’t the Bengals either. Goes to show you how hard it is to make a Super Bowl in the first place.

Brady made it look easy, New England went to 9 Super Bowls this century. But aside from New England, the most times a team has gone to a Super Bowl since 2000 is 3 times, and there’s been quite a few well ran organizations in the league.

Good points. I agree on it covering holes. I also agree 1st round picks aren’t the end all be all either. Especially if you’re a team that historically drafts poorly. I just disagree with the whole notion that you can’t win without an elite qb that I see people pitching at times.
If you’re able to land your franchise qb in a manner similar to how New Orleans landed Drew Brees, by all means go for it. I just don’t think giving up what Houston is going to want for Watson is practical. Now if Watson can apply pressure and Houston gets desperate and some team swoops in and fleeces them. That’s an entirely different story. And potentially possible given how poorly ran that organization is.
We're on the same page with that. You don't need an elite guy but like IATT IATT it raises the floor, sometimes you take a chance with that, especially with a guy as talented as Watson is

I also think the Watson situation is also one where you just gotta look at the environment and culture sometimes is best to part ways and take what you can get. I mean maybe the Texans can salvage it but I'm seeing something similar play out in Seattle and if it's more of the same I'm not mad at either side wanting out up here either

It’s not that crazy to me on brees and Rodgers..

brees couldn’t win outside of the dome.. THAT is surprising to me

but with Rodgers, green bay/ted thompson’s philosophy always bothered me.. they had some chances to add guys and make a run but focused on the draft.. also shoulda moved on from mccarthy a while ago, because always felt it was more Rodgers than a creative offensive mind (like what we’re seeing in Seattle)

I get Miami making a run at Watson because that team is really good outside of the QB spot.. jets need to build more beyond spending in free agency.. panthers are better, but how far does Watson really get them

We're on the same page with that. You don't need an elite guy but like IATT IATT it raises the floor, sometimes you take a chance with that, especially with a guy as talented as Watson is

I also think the Watson situation is also one where you just gotta look at the environment and culture sometimes is best to part ways and take what you can get. I mean maybe the Texans can salvage it but I'm seeing something similar play out in Seattle and if it's more of the same I'm not mad at either side wanting out up here either

As a 49er fan. I hope things ran their course in Seattle. I’m tired of Russ doing Russ things and killing them. Ship him somewhere to the AFC where he’s only seen once every 4 years lmao. But Seattle is a well ran organization. If them and Russ part ways. I’m sure it would be on good terms on both ends. They would get a haul and a quality qb of the future out of it.

As for Houston. It would make sense for the new coach and gm to go out their way to separate themselves from the prior regime. Acknowledge that Bill O Brien screwed that organization royally but they have a plan to fix all that and try to get Watson to feel as involved in the process as possible. If it’s unfixable, try to get the maximum return possible, but it makes sense for them to do everything they can to repair things.

Seems like Houston has that good ol boy, shut up and play football mindset from ownership though. I know most owners do, but they seem like one of the more bold and upfront organizations on that end. I know the original owner who died said that inmates run the asylum crap so I could see how Watson’s issues with the organization could go beyond whoever the coach and gm are and what their plan is.

It’s not that crazy to me on brees and Rodgers..

brees couldn’t win outside of the dome.. THAT is surprising to me

but with Rodgers, green bay/ted thompson’s philosophy always bothered me.. they had some chances to add guys and make a run but focused on the draft.. also shoulda moved on from mccarthy a while ago, because always felt it was more Rodgers than a creative offensive mind (like what we’re seeing in Seattle)

I get Miami making a run at Watson because that team is really good outside of the QB spot.. jets need to build more beyond spending in free agency.. panthers are better, but how far does Watson really get them

I think it’s crazy in the sense of how long they were the starter for their respective teams. You would think they would mess around and find themselves in another just off the longevity. But you make good points.

That Ted Thompson philosophy screwed them. I’m big on building through the draft. I’m a big believer that if you draft and scout well you’ll be good consistently. But GB had some teams where you could tell would’ve benefited from some win now moves.

For New Orleans. They struggled on the road. Hell they won me some money when they lost to 7-9 Seattle in the playoffs (shoutout to the 2010 Jets for winning me $500 beating New England the following week) But they caught some bad breaks in the playoffs. The Vernon Davis catch game (if they win that, they likely wash the Giants at home in the dome the next week) Both their playoff losses to the Vikings and that Rams loss were brutal.

As for Miami. I agree with you on that. That makes the most sense to me. And they have the picks to make it happen to where they can do it and not be without picks for a long time as well.

I think it’s crazy in the sense of how long they were the starter for their respective teams. You would think they would mess around and find themselves in another just off the longevity. But you make good points.

That Ted Thompson philosophy screwed them. I’m big on building through the draft. I’m a big believer that if you draft and scout well you’ll be good consistently. But GB had some teams where you could tell would’ve benefited from some win now moves.

For New Orleans. They struggled on the road. Hell they won me some money when they lost to 7-9 Seattle in the playoffs (shoutout to the 2010 Jets for winning me $500 beating New England the following week) But they caught some bad breaks in the playoffs. The Vernon Davis catch game (if they win that, they likely wash the Giants at home in the dome the next week) Both their playoff losses to the Vikings and that Rams loss were brutal.

As for Miami. I agree with you on that. That makes the most sense to me. And they have the picks to make it happen to where they can do it and not be without picks for a long time as well.

I think you need balance between draft and free agency and trades

like Green Bay had so many opportunities to do stuff.. obviously you want to prioritize the draft and player development.. but you gotta take advantage when things pop up

we saw it with tampa.. they had talent in house, the WRs and TEs.. they had a chance to get gronk and AB to add to those guys on the cheap

I think you need balance between draft and free agency and trades

like Green Bay had so many opportunities to do stuff.. obviously you want to prioritize the draft and player development.. but you gotta take advantage when things pop up

we saw it with tampa.. they had talent in house, the WRs and TEs.. they had a chance to get gronk and AB to add to those guys on the cheap

I agree with you completely. Especially with Green Bay. You can have a philosophy as an organization to how you want to build things. But you gotta think outside your comfort zone when opportunities pop up. Especially if you’re in win now mode. Nothing wrong with building through the draft, especially if you consistently draft well. But if adding pieces through trade or free agency can put you over the hump, you can’t act passive because it’s not within your comfort zone.

If a talent like Deshaun Watson becomes available, and you have any sort of ? mark at QB, you do what it takes to get him. This is not hard guys :lol: .

this would be an insane haul. I really like Michael Carter

Scenario 1: If Jets Draft a QB ...
Projected 2021 draft for Jets if they trade QB Sam Darnold:

2 Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
19 Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami
34 Aaron Robinson, CB, UCF
51 Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
66 Wyatt Davis, G, Ohio State
87 Michael Carter, RB, UNC

So we'd trade Darnold & 23 for Washington 19? I could see a scenario where we actually do do business with Washington, but I think it would end up being a 2+ 4 or 5 maybe for Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom