2023 Official MLB Season Thread

seen phillies looking at this but im curious whats up with Didi, i dont want him to go just yet.. his 1 year was awesome and fun to watch

From FiveThirtyEight:

No player has a realistic chance of getting elected this year. Schilling, Bonds and Clemens are projected to finish in the 60s, while Rolen, Helton, Vizquel and Wagner make up the second tier at around 50 percent.

You misinterpreted my post (totally understandable based on my wording). Let me rephrase....

Omar Vizquel has no business being anywhere close to the Hall of Fame.
Yeah, I think I did lol. But are his gold gloves not enough to be a HOFer? Was he just not comparable to other HOFs?

Yeah, I think I did lol. But are his gold gloves not enough to be a HOFer? Was he just not comparable to other HOFs?
Just my opinion, but I think Vizquel is a fringe HOFer, and there have to be guys in that group and they might get shut out. He obviously was a talent, and had 2.692 hits at the SS position and those 11 gold gloves and it appears he's on his way to eventually getting inducted. But the HOF JAWS tracker (which is not foolproof I admit) even has him 41st all time in shortstops, behind (kind of his era) ARod, Ripken, Larkin, Jeter, Garciaparra, Tejada, and Tony Fernandez.

One other comparison: Tony Fernandez didn't even get 1 % of the vote on his lone year on the HOF ballot.

Fernandez
5 ASG
4 gold gloves
3 top-20 MVP voting
1 ring
.980 Fielding %
45.3 WAR
35th JAWS (SS)

Visquel
3 ASG
11 gold gloves
1 top-20 MVP voting
0 rings
.985 Fielding %
45.6 WAR
41st JAWS (SS)

Just my opinion, but I think Vizquel is a fringe HOFer, and there have to be guys in that group and they might get shut out. He obviously was a talent, and had 2.692 hits at the SS position and those 11 gold gloves and it appears he's on his way to eventually getting inducted. But the HOF JAWS tracker (which is not foolproof I admit) even has him 41st all time in shortstops, behind (kind of his era) ARod, Ripken, Larkin, Jeter, Garciaparra, Tejada, and Tony Fernandez.

One other comparison: Tony Fernandez didn't even get 1 % of the vote on his lone year on the HOF ballot.

Fernandez
5 ASG
4 gold gloves
3 top-20 MVP voting
1 ring
.980 Fielding %
45.3 WAR
35th JAWS (SS)

Visquel
3 ASG
11 gold gloves
1 top-20 MVP voting
0 rings
.985 Fielding %
45.6 WAR
41st JAWS (SS)

Nice post. What it comes down to for me is the fact that he was never considered one of the best shortstops of this era. When I think of the amazing Indians teams he was on, I think of 4 or 5 players before I get to him, and some of those players have a much better case to be made and were no where close to enshrinement. If you would have told me while I was watching this team in the the mid 90s, that Omar Vizquel was a Hall of Famer but Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez and Kenny Lofton were not, I would have smacked you.

Do you think Jose Iglesias and Andrelton Simmons have Hall of Fame trajectories? My answer is a resounding no, and both of those guys are in the same category of players that Omar was.

Wish Marcus the best. Was hoping they would bring him back even after a down year as we have no better options but what else is new, cheap *** team.

Getting sick and tired of this. :smh:

Back
Top Bottom