2021 Skin care thread Vol buttah skin

are over the counter retinoids worth it or just a money grab by the cosmetic/drug companies? I use Differin ( Adapalene) & I do think it's effective but then I also use Neutogena retinol serums & their retinol moisturizers & I wonder if they're a rip off. overall I do wonder if use of retinoids has thinned the skin on my face & made dark circles under my eyes worse.
retinol is tricky, best to talk to a derm especially when dealing the eye area

Neutrogena has a lot of fragrance and alcohol

I do know that the ordinary has different type of "retinol"

I use the granactive retinoid, which is a derivative of retinol and less strong than the retinol and it has helped my overall skin.

I learned to embrace my dark circles, ive had it all my life so yeah

Agreed, at the end of the day, all you really need is a cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen.

Those products are for people who suffer from textured skin and hyperpigmentation for acne.
These product increase cell turnover.

Cleansers and plain moisturizers will not help with marks or texture.

Sunscreen will help prevent marks getting darker

Im still trying to figure out the perfect sunscreen I spent years not using cause they gave me a whitecast.
Ii realze all the work I ws doing to better my skin was a waste because I wasnt using smh

Ive been avoiding the sun honestly lol

I use

1624332052465.png

I’ve been drinking since 15 & smoking since 18, going to be 40 in October with smooth skin and looking young, Asian don’t raisin. Only thing I do is stay out of the sun, wash face with warm water & Oil Olay in the cold months.

retinol is tricky, best to talk to a derm especially when dealing the eye area

Neutrogena has a lot of fragrance and alcohol

I do know that the ordinary has different type of "retinol"

I use the granactive retinoid, which is a derivative of retinol and less strong than the retinol and it has helped my overall skin.

I learned to embrace my dark circles, ive had it all my life so yeah
the Neutrogena stuff is really expensive, I think the serums are like 18 bucks a tube that's 14 ml. prolly a lil cheaper online but certain stuff I prefer to get at the store. a tube of Differin gel is like 30 bucks most of the time but worth it, stuff def turns your skin over I'd get the autoimmune looking patches from it at 1st but I knew that meant it was working. dark circles I think are from fat loss around the eyes & nothing can be done for them except fillers or blepharoplasty, my $$$$ doesn't depend on how the area under my eyes looks so I'm not doing either. still I have read that they are unsure what the long term implications of retinoid use are so I am unsure really. I do have tremendously dry eyes & can't help but strain when reading so I think that contributes to looking like a person who overindulges in stimulants

anyways as for sunscreen I used to use this & it was so evil if it got in the eyes:
41r0D5lePUL.jpg

It always would end up there too I mean I would put it on my ears and it'd still manage to find it's way into my eyes stuff feels like glass :emoji_weary: like I am unsure how this stuff passes FDA approval. smells kind of like mothballs too. physical sunscreens I used for the past like 5 years are the following:
s-l400.jpg
51BOGEl4c6L._SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

others too but these are what I have used consistently for the past coupla years, they blend pretty well. I am actually unsure how effective the Harry's stuff is but I am either inside or in the car most of the day. it does have a bit of a heavy white cast but it's very easy to blend + washes off easy which is good since I only like to cleanse 1nce a day if I'm not doing heavy exercise/sweat, I prefer to just wash my face w/coldish water to get any sunscreen off since anything else has the tendency to strip moisture. I have used micellar water to get sunscreen off a few times & it cleared my skin up a lot but I didn't really notice how much until I looked at photos of myself from the same few days.

Y'all staying outta the sun. How the hell do you enjoy summer?
I don't, they're extremely short lived & opressingly humid where I live. mild winters are the best time of the year. if my ears would ever stop ringing I think I would just head to Florida for winters.

I just wear some light sunscreen. No way I stay out of the sun out here in Southern California, it’s one of the reasons I like it :emoji_muscle: :emoji_sun_with_face:

I’m using Kiehls ultra facial moisturizer x avocado eye cream 1-2x daily. Use cerave night cream for da anti aging qualities. My wife told me my skin was glowing on FT the other day so I guess it’s working.

Twice

But I know some people dont cleanse in the morning but if you sweat i think you should.
Did you buy a moisturizer
After I rinse it off do I leave a little film on or rinse it completely?
Idk if lotion = moisturizer but I always use this
I have sensitive skin and this stuff works great for me

1941111_01.jpg
71LfEBfSz8S._SL1500_.jpg
81XNtLbGVwL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been using these products for like 10 years.
I love Alaffia products. Black owned and you can find them in Walmart.

Also Buttah Skin is a good brand to use as well. I started checking it out after I found out who the owner was. I remember him from back in the day when he was a cast member for College Hill Atlanta.

I personally need to do a better job of exfoliating and using sun screen.

Rinse clean, pat dry. I personally cleanse once at night, morning I just use water, pat dry with towel.

I would personally look into a moisturizer specifically for face, but if it works for you and you don't notice anything "bad", it's fine I think.

Whatever works for you continue, but it does say body lotion.
Moisturizers are usually thicker than lotions

wash your hands
Put your cleanser on a dry face
lather it in on your face for 60 seconds
Rinse it off.

I clean twice but that just me.

I love Alaffia products. Black owned and you can find them in Walmart.

Also Buttah Skin is a good brand to use as well. I started checking it out after I found out who the owner was. I remember him from back in the day when he was a cast member for College Hill Atlanta.

I personally need to do a better job of exfoliating and using sun screen.

I had no idea a company had this name lol

Back
Top Bottom