24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

I'm still a student and am not in the market to get a house for the next few years. I've been blessed not to have any student loans, and where I live, I don't need a car. I wouldn't want to put myself into debt just to raise my credit score, lol.

Of course not. Just saying that's a hindrance on your score. I only have credit card and student loans and I'm still in the 800s. But if I had a mortgage or auto loan my score would be higher not that it really matters since I'm in the 800s.

I decided to keep the Chase reserve for the 2nd year, even with the fee it still gives me peace of mind with all the awesome travel Benefits. Plus the Priority Pass is included for the life of the card.

So I got this lil capital one secured card a while back. $200 limit. I'm near the limit. I was wondering if it's best to pay if off completelt or just make monthly payments. I can pay it off if that matters.

This thread is flames!!!! Long story short I went to college and ****ed up some bread (student loans and bad money management) which ruined my credit. Over the last 5 months I've watched my credit jump over 50 points just by opening a secured card with cap one(qualify for auto CLI 2/9). I have a bday coming up on monday (I normally hit the bar and go crazy) but instead this bday I hired FES to work on my credit (200 Bucks for financial freedom :nthat:). As of right now im right around a 600 but FES seems like a great company so hopefully I see some huge gains with some removals coming off my credit!!!!!

In 2017 my score went up 3 points. Been at 750 for quite some time now.

How do you even hit 800? Feel like im doing everything perfect but my score won't even budge anymore.

Chase Freedom Unlimited taking forever on my $150 cash reward. What they think im just gonna forget??

Finally at 23k limit on my discover. I think my higher yearly gross income made it possible. They do hard pulls if you request over 25k right?

Does the saphire card still have limitations on how many apps in the past two years you can have? I have 2 or 4....

So I have a confession. My credit score was bum *** low. Like I couldn’t even get approved for $500. I had no guiidance from anyone until I started lurking this thread. I didn’t know how credit worked or how to even raise it. I’m 31, I make pretty good money (I’ve actually been making really good money since I was 19). I’d always pay things up front.

Anyways, since last July I was able to get approved for a $1000. I started using it responsibly and following credit karmas tips. I’ve raised my score almost 200 points. I got a lot to learn but I’m actually proud of what I was able to accomplish. It’s actually addicting seeing my score increase.

Fellas,

So I have a leased car from june 2017. Lease expires in 2020. However i do want to buy the car through refinance, but should i wait till 2020?

Now originally I wanted to buy, but because of my credit score i could only lease through one bank.

All i have under my name is this car so i feel like refinancing, ill get rejected. (Meaning i dont own a house or anything in that matter. )
I have been paying both of my cards on time and no issues.
Note: ive been rejected once by capital one.

Any tips??

Last edited:
I just applied for capital one card like two weeks ago . Now I want to apply for another card .. bout how long do I have to wait to apply ?

Is there a Cap One card that I could upgrade or downgrade to from the Quicksilver card?Don’t plan to use anymore and don’t want to pay the fee to keep it open either

So CreditKarma is telling me that lenders like to see that you've used a variety of accounts responsibly. I have 6 and no issues with any, but it's showing that 10+ accounts is good. But if I apply for another line of credit (like a credit card) I get hit with a hard inquiry which negatively affects my score. Seems like a catch 22.

So CreditKarma is telling me that lenders like to see that you've used a variety of accounts responsibly. I have 6 and no issues with any, but it's showing that 10+ accounts is good. But if I apply for another line of credit (like a credit card) I get hit with a hard inquiry which negatively affects my score. Seems like a catch 22.

The hard inquiry is only a short term effect. It comes off your credit report after two year. Meanwhile have 10+ accounts will be good in the long term

For the people who have chase and amex which rewards program do you like more?

Personally I have the Amex Plat, PRG and the CSP and Chase Unlimited.

I think that the redemption of points is better with Chase, but it is much easier to get a lot of points with Amex so I spend more on the amex cards than the chase. What are yall thoughts? Am I missing an easy way to get a lot of points with Chase? With amex there are offers like spend $20 and get 1,000 points. Just haven't seen anything like that with Chase.

If you had a regular Freedom, I'd say make use of the 5% cash back category and instead of taking the cash back, turn it into points.

You can also do that with the Unlimited (1.5%)

Back
Top Bottom