24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Welp. I’m here to start from the bottom. Much like most I was careless with credit. Late payments and minimum payments did me no favors. About to order my credit report and go hard on this repair. Any tips to keep me motivated and take this serious?

I PM'd you

I got my 80,000 CSP points this week. If Chase doesn't revamp it this year to compete better with the free Freedom cards, I'll be taking my monthly spend back to American Express come annual fee time.
I had to wait for some cards to drop from my history so I just barely missed the 80k points but I just hit the minimum spend for my 60k
What Amex cards do you have or like? I only have the blue cash everyday, never really paid attention to Amex for whatever reason ..I’ve gone through like every sign up bonus so I’m looking for a new daily card unless I can find a new bonus

thinking of the Apple Card maybe since now I use Apple Pay for everything

Think I’m gonna sign up for this
Looks like it’s a new discover it card, just without the rotating 5%. It has 2% at gas stations and restaurants 1% everywhere else
All I’m looking for is the year end cash back match 👀

Anyone with an apple credit card? The no fee thing legit? Overall hows the card?

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the rewards wack. Apple Pay is pretty standard online and at POS terminals these days and the 2% back on Apple Pay matches your typical rewards card.

If you're in the Apple ecosystem the card is a no brainer imo. Use it for all your Apple products and services and collect your little 3%. Set to auto pay and call it a day.

Maybe not a good primary card but it's more than solid for what it's intended for and Daily Cash back beats any other cash back redemption method.

Aside from that the UI and mobile features are simply fantastic. Would love to see Apple up the rewards to 2% on all purchases and really apply some pressure on other issuers to follow suit in that area.

Yea I do agree that the UI of the app is amazing. Apple Pay 2% cash back is nice too. Esp with the rona since a lot of places ain’t accepting cash.

If you don’t plan on leaving the apple eco system then it’s a decent card. I just got salty cause I want the new galaxy phone lol

Just want to put this out there...

This very thread helped me get started with building my credit score about 5 years ago. I'm right under 800.

Anybody trying to start building their credit just know my PM is open for any questions etc. I'm not a financial advisor. I'm willing to offer the same help I got when I was younger. Cheers.

Just got approved for Amex Everyday yesterday. My 2nd card of the rebuild. Just wanted something to boost my utilization and boost my score so I can go for the card that I really want:

The Fidelity Rewards card.
2% cash back on Everything.
What makes it dope to me is I can
have the cash back auto deposited
Into my Fidelity brokerage account and
buy stocks with it. (How is this legal?)
Growing money using free money.
It literally gets no better than this.

Just re downloaded mint.. the new updated app is so much better. I really didn’t like the old one

Just got approved for Amex Everyday yesterday. My 2nd card of the rebuild. Just wanted something to boost my utilization and boost my score so I can go for the card that I really want:

Amex and discover usually give the biggest cli. Discover I did every 30 days after the initial 90 days. Would get $1-4k each time and stopped at 25k. Easily help your utilization with those 2 cards

Do you still get taxed on those stocks once you sell?

Do you still get taxed on those stocks once you sell?
Yea but i hold (edit: over 1 yr) to avoid the heavy shorterm capitol gains tax and depending on your bracket, you can pay 0 to 20 with longterm capital. Plus your only taxed on the increase, not your inital investment.

Last edited:
Yea but i hold to avoid the heavy shorterm capitol gains tax and depending on your bracket, you can pay 0 to 20 with longterm capital. Plus your only taxed on the increase, not your inital investment.

wow I like the sound of that a lot need that.

edit: just got approved for this. Everyday purchases about to be paid through this card thanks bud!

Last edited:
cs02132 cs02132 (or anyone) - walk me thru Mint. I have it downloaded but never played with it.
I pretty much only use it so I can see all my bank accounts, investments, and credit cards all in one place but you can set up a budget, set goals, see your money flow, credit score, etc
I used to not like it but I like this update you should set up your account and check it out
I downloaded the NerdWallet app too because I like their site and I’m gonna see which I like better between the 2

Back
Top Bottom