24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Hey guys,

looking for some advice here...last time i got my FICO score from freecreditreport.com was back in 2011. Got a 735 then.

did not run any reports until my citicard told me they started offering free experian fico scores. Checked today and saw that i'm at 711.

one of the bad things I have is my credit ratio. I pretty much only have one credit card and it's usually always maxxed at $4k.

took advantage of the 0% APR and just started charging...and charging..and you know the rest. My budget allows me to pay $500 a month on it and I should be able to wipe it clean by May.

i want to increase my score within the next 2 months since i will be taking out a loan for a motorcycle.

what are the chances of me getting a credit increase if i ask while the card is maxed? do you think the hit i get to my score from applying and not getting it is higher than applying for a credit increase thus lowering my credit debt?

thanks!

best thing to do is bring down that balance honestly, you can't wait until May to get the motorcycle? or pay off more?

Citibank is offering free FICO credit scores for select members.  Apparently you can check every month.  If I do so will my credit score keep going down? I just checked my credit score for the first time and as of 12.23.2014 ( a month ago) credit score is 701. 

Citibank is offering free FICO credit scores for select members.  Apparently you can check every month.  If I do so will my credit score keep going down? I just checked my credit score for the first time and as of 12.23.2014 ( a month ago) credit score is 701. 

It doesn't drop your score to check your own credit score.

Going to look into

Chase Sapphire preferred
Amex everyday preferred
Chase Freedom

Anyone have Navy Fed? if so, how are their credit cards/rewards system? Lastly, which has the best APR rates? (does that depend on ones credit?)

Going to look into

Chase Sapphire preferred
Amex everyday preferred
Chase Freedom

Anyone have Navy Fed? if so, how are their credit cards/rewards system? Lastly, which has the best APR rates? (does that depend on ones credit?)

I have Navy Fed . If you want a very high limit go with the Cash Rewards Visa Signature card. I don't know anyone that was approved with a limit less than 10K. The cash back back is 1.5% on everything you can redeem at anytime. Its a very good card and CU.

Last edited:
I have Navy Fed . If you want a very high limit go with the Cash Rewards Visa Signature card. I don't know anyone that was approved with a limit less than 10K. I was approved for 15K 12% apr when I was 21. The cash back back is 1.5% on everything you can redeem at anytime. Its a very good card and CU.
I think I have this card through BoA... the rewards program + bankamerideals payback is good.  If I did more transactions on my card I could see myself getting back roughly $50-75 a month... but I don't use this card that much but I use it enough to cover the interest.

So I think I'm addicted to credit cards. Not spending, but just having them. I have a limit of about 14,000 collective right now. On 2 cards.

I'm thinking about applying for another one. Bad idea? My newest card is less than a year old, my oldest card is 3-4 years old

So I think I'm addicted to credit cards. Not spending, but just having them. I have a limit of about 14,000 collective right now. On 2 cards.

I'm thinking about applying for another one. Bad idea? My newest card is less than a year old, my oldest card is 3-4 years old
If it's for a purpose I don't see why not.

You only have two cards  so there has to be a rewards category you still need. If you have a good card for travel benefits and a good card for most of your spending, look for perks offered by specific cards. I'd say its good to  have one with the major lenders. Chase, Amex and Discover since they handle things differently and increases with one can lead to increases with others. Definitely look for sign up bonuses and good apr rate offers.

Nothing wrong with being addicted to credit cards as long as you're responsible. It's all about those points. :evil:

I paid off a student loan (account closed) and my credit score dropped by 12 points...:lol:.

They'd rather you be indebted than free...:smh:

Same thing that happened to me but wait a little and it will go up. I think I was around 750-760 when I paid it off and it dropped for a month or two then it went up to almost 800. Congrats on paying it off.

I paid off a student loan (account closed) and my credit score dropped by 12 points...:lol:.

Same thing happened to me with my car loan. It's because your student loan is considered an installment loan. It's different from credit cards. When you have different types of credit it helps your score. Now that you paid it off and you don't have that account anymore, the only type of credit you probably have is revolving credit which is your credit cards.

It's stupid that you lose points for it but it will bounce back in the next month or two.

I just bit on this card offer before AA & US airways merge. 50K miles & a companion pass. I've been holding off on applying for new credit since I'm applying for a home loan later this year but I couldn't pass this up.

http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-ai...Number=10&referrerid=CFOPP_F530492410_1036160

oh yea i love advantage miles. flying from my home(KC, MO) to Paris and then Barcelona back to KC next month, only cost me 40k miles and $54 in fees/taxes. the good thing is since aa & us airways are combining you have more flights to pick from, when redeeming miles.

Last edited:
oh yea i love advantage miles. flying from my home(KC, MO) to Paris and then Barcelona back to KC next month, only cost me 40k miles and $54 in fees/taxes. the good thing is since aa & us airways are combining you have more flights to pick from, when redeeming miles.

Do you get the companion certificates every year or is it a one time thing when you sign up ? I called twice before applying and got two different answers.

I paid off a student loan (account closed) and my credit score dropped by 12 points...
laugh.gif

They'd rather you be indebted than free...
mean.gif

Same thing I've been saying for I don't know how many pages now. The credit scoring system is only built to get you in debt and keep you there. NOTHING regarding assets or non-debt payments is factored in your score.

I paid off a student loan (account closed) and my credit score dropped by 12 points...
laugh.gif

They'd rather you be indebted than free...
mean.gif

Same thing happened to me with my car loan. It's because your student loan is considered an installment loan. It's different from credit cards. When you have different types of credit it helps your score. Now that you paid it off and you don't have that account anymore, the only type of credit you probably have is revolving credit which is your credit cards.

It's stupid that you lose points for it but it will bounce back in the next month or two.
That's crazy. I just got a tempurpedic for my back (had back surgery 2 months ago), and they did a hard pull of my score, and I dropped from 700 to 680s. But now I have one credit card, one car loan, and one bed loan. Put a 1000 down and have 2 years to pay off 4000. 

How do you get your Credit score up to upper 700s?

I paid off a student loan (account closed) and my credit score dropped by 12 points...:lol: .

I actually came into this thread to post something similar. I consolidated my student loans and saw my score drop.I knew it was going to happen cause it I had to have my credit pulled for the private loan consolidation and I expect it to drop again when the number of open accounts drop once the process finishes in about two weeks. All I could do was laugh.

Anyone have the Amex everyday card? Opinions on it?

Last edited:
Waitin on Amex opinions too. I may grab an Amex this summer. 10k free points sounds coo.

Now that i have this ring paid off my cards just about i plan on layin lowkey for the next 18 or so months and see if my score will hit 750 before we look at a new house/car

Same thing I've been saying for I don't know how many pages now. The credit scoring system is only built to get you in debt and keep you there. NOTHING regarding assets or non-debt payments is factored in your score.

He's absolutely right. Im trying this experiment with two of my credit cards at the moment. One of my credit cards went from reporting 400 to 2800 and I lost 3 points. Another card went from 0 to $1750 and I lost 8 points. Im going to pay most of it off and let them report $50 each. I'd like to see what happens.

kalel8, just keep paying your bills on time and get your DTI at about 10% or less. Those are the most important things. Slowly but surely it will keep improving.

Waitin on Amex opinions too. I may grab an Amex this summer. 10k free points sounds coo.

Now that i have this ring paid off my cards just about i plan on layin lowkey for the next 18 or so months and see if my score will hit 750 before we look at a new house/car

I'd wait for a better bonus. I saw the preferred version dropped from 20k to 15k. I have the card and i'm not a big fan. There are other cards that will help you accumulate points faster.

I don't have any debt after today except student loans. My credit SUCKS. I'm going to my credit union today to talk to them. Do you think I'm better off with a secured card or just bringing in like 1k cash and just doing some secured loans? Are secured loans the best way to fix it?

I don't have any debt after today except student loans. My credit SUCKS. I'm going to my credit union today to talk to them. Do you think I'm better off with a secured card or just bringing in like 1k cash and just doing some secured loans? Are secured loans the best way to fix it?

Both. Type of credit matters as much as anything. u need revolving credit eventually. (cards)

Back
Top Bottom