25 and older Jordan heads

Older head checking in here...mid 30s.

My first pair of Jordans were the black Vs. I'm not sure how it was where you grew up, but we didn't have nicknames like now. It was simply white/black pair.

Only the 3-5 and 11 appeal to me, so I've bought a few pairs of any colorways I didn't have a chance to get back then and I wear them when I can. My family wasn't very well off so I didn't have many chances to get any new releases as they came out.

I've got a 5 month old son so before he was born I bought him a few pairs of the 4s in kids sizes. Hopefully he develops an appreciation for them as I did!

Last edited:
just checking in saying whats up to the older heads , salute :smokin

Last edited:
Im a 46 year old white guy and wear all my shoes.  My first real job was at Footlocker in 1988 and I had every shoe you could imagine.  We got a 40% discount so I bought everything. Years ago when I found out how much some of the shoes I used to have were worth I freaked out.

I gave lots of shoes away and I wore some of them out back then.

I started collecting around 2007/2008 and have never sold but two pairs of shoes.  They were KD's that I couldn't stand how they looked on my feet.  I took a loss on both pair.

I coach two AAU boys basketball teams and we play lots of tournaments every spring and summer.  This spring we were playing in the AAU State championship and I wore my fighter jets to the game.  I love watching the younger guys faces when they see this old white dude with foams on...lol.....The young man working the clock was about 16.  He walks up to me before the game and says "no disrespect coach but do you have any idea what you are wearing on your feet?"

I just cracked up.  Couple of my players heard him and walked over.  They said you have no idea what our coach has in his closet....it was too funny.

I think I have about 30 pairs between retro Jordans, Foams, Barkleys and just got my first pair of Kobe's.  It has become very addictive and everytime I buy a pair I say Im done for a while.  Needless to say that only last about a week.

EDIT:  I came to find out earlier this year that these HSN WC 3's were part of Nike's first attempt at a Jordan Retro.   1's, 2s, and 3s and heard it failed miserably...go figure.
You're old enough to remember that no one gave a damn about old models in the '90s. If you had old kicks (even if they were in new condition) people would talk about you so bad that they'd make you want to throw them s**** away!

This "Look at my 10 year old shoes!" craze really jumped off in 2000-2001. Even though '99 retros were popular, it didn't become a big thing until a couple of years later.

I was surprised to be looking at a old episode on The Wayan Bros. and see Marlon wearing a pair of IIs (This would've been around '98). I was even surprised to see Bill Murray  in II's in Space Jam (1996).

Last edited:
I just turned 30 last month and have been rocking j's on a regular sense 2000. it was after i got my first job as a jr in high school. i buy jordans because for the most part my parents couldn't afford them. I grew up watch MJ like most of us older guys and loved watching play him. The best birthday i ever had as a kid was when my dad bought me my first pair of jordans. I begging nasty for the black infared 6s but instead he got me the white and maroon 6s. Those 6s i ran into the ground until it was time to get a new pair of shoes. my mom thought that she had surprised me with a pair of aqua 8 but they were fakes from payless. she made me wear them to school the next day and an 8th grader with the REAL aqua 8s clowned on me nasty. I think thats the reason i hate the 8s lol. anyway i wasnt able to get any jordans until high school. i would save my lunch money (which was 25 bucks a week) until i could buy a pair of js. i have about 25 pairs of jordans to this day (its a tiny amount compared to you all) I wear all of my jordans. i would only sell one pair that i have and its only because they are a size 12 and im a size 13. i ONLY buy the jordans that i like. i dont think i will stop buying jordans anytime soon but with next year being the year of the 6 i might slow down. I really like this thread keep up with the great stories guys.  

I'll be 36 next month and I've been in this sneaker game since1988 when I got my first pair of fire red 3's... Growing up I was fortunate that my older sister was into sneakers (she's 41 now) that my parents understood the culture back then and they always got me the newest kicks, not necessarily Jordan's....fast forward to now, I have about 70 pairs of sneakers and I buy what I like, I try to give the younger generation some knowledge about the shoes they're "breasting" over

I have 5 kids and a wife AND WE ARE ALL INTO SNEAKERS..lol even my 7 y.o. Twin girls know the different types of sneakers they own...

Over the years my home has been burglarized TWICE in which most of my high school collection was stolen, I've had to sell some of my collection due to various financial situations...

I wear just about all my shoes only have 4 DS pairs remaining..they will be worn by next month.. I've given Jordan's to homeless people, family members in jail or coming home from jail, and to kids that just need some decent shoes to wear.. I've come to grips with the fact that this is a different time when it comes to fashion and us "OLD" guys have to adapt if we wanna keep up!!!

30 here to.  Got tons of jordans but never wear any except 3,4,5s...and even that is rare... with all the Lebrons and roshes etc they are just so much more comfortable.

Saulte my fellow ogs...
GOOD ISH LOL
Im a 46 year old white guy and wear all my shoes.  My first real job was at Footlocker in 1988 and I had every shoe you could imagine.  We got a 40% discount so I bought everything. Years ago when I found out how much some of the shoes I used to have were worth I freaked out.

I started collecting around 2007/2008 and have never sold but two pairs of shoes.  They were KD's that I couldn't stand how they looked on my feet.  I took a loss on both pair.

I coach two AAU boys basketball teams and we play lots of tournaments every spring and summer.  This spring we were playing in the AAU State championship and I wore my fighter jets to the game.  I love watching the younger guys faces when they see this old white dude with foams on...lol.....The young man working the clock was about 16.  He walks up to me before the game and says "no disrespect coach but do you have any idea what you are wearing on your feet?"

I just cracked up.  Couple of my players heard him and walked over.  They said you have no idea what our coach has in his closet....it was too funny.

I think I have about 30 pairs between retro Jordans, Foams, Barkleys and just got my first pair of Kobe's.  It has become very addictive and everytime I buy a pair I say Im done for a while.  Needless to say that only last about a week.

Definitely some good reads in this thread,, turned out to be alot more older sneaker heads than Id thought around this forum.. 8)

you did all that with proceeds from a sneaker collection? a wedding? a down payment on a house? do you live in detriot or something? i heard 3 families are going for 3 thousand

:lol:

Not Detroit...Vegas...

Sold off somewhere in the area of 200 pairs...SB's (Supremes, Paris, London's etc...), Jordan's, some vintage stuff...Go find some of my old Yuku selling threads...Dropped maybe half of those shoes on NT...

EDIT:  I came to find out earlier this year that these HSN WC 3's were part of Nike's first attempt at a Jordan Retro.   1's, 2s, and 3s and heard it failed miserably...go figure.
You're old enough to remember that no one gave a damn about old models in the '90s. If you had old kicks (even if they were in new condition) people would talk about you so bad that they'd make you want to throw them s**** away!

This "Look at my 10 year old shoes!" craze really jumped off in 2000-2001. Even though '99 retros were popular, it didn't become a big thing until a couple of years later.

I was surprised to be looking at a old episode on The Wayan Bros. and see Marlon wearing a pair of IIs (This would've been around '98). I was even surprised to see Bill Murray  in II's in Space Jam (1996).

Quoted for truth...I walked into the LV Nike Outlet Store (In what used to be called the "Belts Outlet Mall") in the fall of 97' and picked up the Royal Foam's and a pair of the Black / Red Jordan 1's from 94' for a whopping $150...

They had a whole table setup in the middle isle with what I remember being close to a full size run of all the first run retro models for dirt cheap...

Hell I copped the white / red and Obsidian XII's there the following year for $79.99 a piece...

If you didn't have the newest releases then you got clowned...But if you were a "Sneaker Head" you didn't care...

Last edited:
Think that is bad. I remember around 98-99 when the maroon and sport blue six released. An old shop in Charleston, SC called the sportsmans shop had a table full for $50 on clearance. Didn't like the colors so I left them on the table. Smh. If I only knew then what I know now.

Just turned 38 yesterday, unds'd galaxy rookies for the occasion. I wear all my shoes. My first pair were og white cement 4's and been in and out of the game since. I got 2 kids 13 and 14 years old, and they love seeing what's inside the NDC box on delivery day. We live in a small town in WV so our local shops rarely get any releases, so it's usually NDC or bust. I just like reliving my youth and getting shoes I couldn't afford back than.
I also coach my sons rec league basketball team. I tried to wear a different pair to every game. The kids can't believe some that I wear,and I even let some kids wear some.
Well, that's just a quick story from an old head, glad I'm not the only one

Think that is bad. I remember around 98-99 when the maroon and sport blue six released. An old shop in Charleston, SC called the sportsmans shop had a table full for $50 on clearance. Didn't like the colors so I left them on the table. Smh. If I only knew then what I know now.

Gotta love it...Should still be able to walk into a sneaker shop and look at a Jordan Retro, try them on, search around for the best price etc...Then pick them up on sale weeks and months after they first dropped...

Also that reminds me...Back in 99' I think I had a classmate / connect that worked at a local sports store (Copeland's Sports...Long since out of business) that would call me if they got a new shipment of anything Jordan related...Anyway he grabbed me in the hallway as I was leaving school for the day and said to stop by later that night after I got out of work...Anyway I checked out early from my bag boy job and headed over...Looked through the delivery box which was mostly things like Brand Jordan stuff but what did I find in a crumpled old OG Jordan Box...A pair of Shadow X's in my size...Got all the :smh: looks the next day at school but I was running high...

Still have those someplace...I'll see if I can track them down and post up a picture or two...

33 here, checkin' in. Great post and great stories!

Been collecting since '03, the year I actually had a job to afford J's and such. The day I purchased the AJ 3's White/Cement in April '03 holds a special place in my heart because I never thought I would own a pair of shoes that l worshiped as a 8 year old boy watching MJ win the slam dunk contest.

It's been on ever since...over 250 pairs and every J I ever wanted copped, with exceptions of XI Columbias, VI Sport Blue and Maroon..

I remember at the MLK Factory in Portland back in 2000 they couldn't get rid of the Laneys priced at $49.99, 
mean.gif

31. the only pairs I have left are ones that I absolutely can't go on without. I wear them every time I get the chance to.

In a JB sea of useless and worthless threads, this one stands out on top.

As an older collector. It is quite refreshing to read about other stories very similar to yours.

I try to wear most of my shoes. (Although the rotation is large, that I may sometimes wear a pair 1-2 times a year) It’s about 70/30. Whereas 70% is worn. 30% is DS.

Would I sell the collection? Probably not. But for the right price, I would. Everything has a price.

Keep this thread alive! Great stories everyone!

I am 36 and I sill love kicks and I can still ball.... My love for the game and playing in competitions is probably why I am still collecting and wearing even though my executive job doesnt allow me much opportunity. I had 80+ pairs at one time and now its probably down to 70 now after throwing away kicks that crumbled... Growing up in the States in the 90s I love to ball and watch MJ and even though I now live in Malaysia (where people are not into JB or kicks like the States) you can say I am not into hype because you dont get props for wearing Js where I live. I am in it because I love to play ball and reliving some of my childhood memories... Am I slowing down? Sure, Even though I have connects to get what I want... I just dont like all this lining up as the hype has created resellers in Malaysia. I don't blame them but it has become a safety issue in the States and I am not going to fuel that insanity in any way or form. So no matter how much love I have for a pair I am NOT paying over retail even if I can. Would I sell? Never thought of it unless I needed cash but instead I have given my shoes to kids who didnt have the money to buy them. Why I am into Js.. I would rank them in the following:

1. Sentimental Value
2. Ball in them - though I wear retros less now because my knees and ankles cant handle the stress
3. Fashion - I wear what I like

I'm 27 and I still have my collection strong everything I have bought in the last 18 years I tried to sell my kicks because i needed money but didn't work I can't see my self selling my kicks I try to just buy og colors or very nice colors like toro 4 but I see my self still having all my kicks 20 years from now

I've always worn all of mine over the years and only bought what I liked and wanted. Recently things changed.......All of the new releases and colorways have killed it for me and will stick to my AM's and flyknits. I'm also 29 and going back to school currently and everyday I walk around campus and see the kids wearing these new low quality Js and it irks me to think of what it's become. Think I got 6 pairs left to get rid of.

This might be my favorite story in this thread LOL

I'm turning 40 soon and was beginning to think I was the oldest person here.  Good to see there are a couple of others in their 40's LOL

Last edited:
Love stories about J's on clearance!

The VI's released in 1991 though.

I'm 25 and the older I get the less and less nikes/ jordans interest me. I know that I still have a passion for sneakers but I kinda feel that most Jordans and Nikes have been done.

I have been looking at a lot more vans and dress shoes in my older years just because it fits my style more.

Surprisingly Nike SB is my go to for Nikes now and days I really enjoy dunks n khaki's etc.

Back
Top Bottom