52 Weeks Savings Challenge (2024 Edition)

Which challenge will you do?

• $1378

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • $2500

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • $5000

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • $7000

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • $10,000

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Custom Challenge

Votes: 16 17.8%

• Total voters
Congratulations to everyone who made their 2019 savings goals. Here we are with a new thread for the New Year, with new savings

This is the classic 52 week challenge. At the end of the year, with this you will have saved $1378
CX_s0ELVAAABf-L.jpg

$2500 Challenge
50-week-2500-savings-challenge-1-638.jpg

$5000 Challenge
52weekchallengebloggraph.png

$7000 Challenge
clark-howard_666888592.jpg

$10,000 Challenge
10000-52weekchallenge.jpg

Last edited:
Hi NTer's,

Not new to the forum, but new to this thread. I'll tweak the 2.5k challenge a few weeks by increasing the saving. I should end up with ca. 3k saved.

How do you all set aside the weekly savings? Cash in a shoe box? Open an account?

Peace
F Sharp005

Im in!

Successfully completed last year’s challenge. It started at $8 and added $8 every week so the last week was $416. Saved $11,024.

Gonna up it this year i’m going to try and do $600 every Monday. Have an alarm set for Monday’s at 9 pm so it’s just a matter of keeping spending down enough to have the funds in there.

As for people asking questions about investing. I use betterment and highly suggest it. It’s great. 5 second transfer from bank to betterment investment account every Monday and the robo advisor invests it into a broad range of stocks.

I know it’s really subjective and situational but what do you guys think a good amount to have saved is ?

at 25?
at 30?

I don’t have the best job but I have been saving good for about 4-5 years now. At first I was confident I was doing good compared to others my age (27, started when I was 22 or 23) but now I feel others are catching up, or have already surpassed me

I saw on IG the top 1% of either 28 or 30 year olds (i forget) have 80k saved

Trynna have around 2k 1/1/21
Getting married that year and that’s gon covert extras

I know it’s really subjective and situational but what do you guys think a good amount to have saved is ?

at 25?
at 30?

I don’t have the best job but I have been saving good for about 4-5 years now. At first I was confident I was doing good compared to others my age (27, started when I was 22 or 23) but now I feel others are catching up, or have already surpassed me

My belief is that it depends on your lifestyle and that you should have at least enough saved to last 3-4 months in case some **** pop off.

Something like you just got laid off or you have to move out on a short notice. Having a reserve like that should last long enough to where you can get back going

Last edited:
Trynna have around 2k 1/1/21
Getting married that year and that’s gon covert extras
2k should be a breeze. Just gotta save $100 the first week and decrement it by $2 every week.

at 25?
at 30?

80k seems low to be honest. But that’s probably just my area of California. I was thinking by 30 a reasonable expectation for frugal minded college graduates is:

-Worked 21 to 30
-Saved $1k a month
-6% returns

That’s $167k.

I’m nowhere near that myself and i’m in my 30s. A lot of people I know around here are way ahead of that since they had a few years of being able to live with their parents and also have a high paying job.

At the end of the day it’s not all about money but consistency and context matters in terms of how much you are able to save. It’s never gonna be an even playing field and you gotta just make the best out of your own situation and not compare with others. I chose to use my 20s as a time to explore life and don’t regret it one bit. In my 30s now i’m going full stop financial security and putting all efforts toward that.

Back
Top Bottom