66 Billion Dollars with no college degree is unreal right Vol. Richest Man in America

Gates made his fortune through bully tactics and offering a widespread product that hadn't yet existed on the mainstream level. At the end of the day, he was lucky enough to be born into an era where computing was in its infancy. Only credit Gates should receive is for having the wherewithal to open source his software.

This new system of education seems promising, but what happens when those already employed college graduates lose their jobs in 10 years to the graduates of these programs, whom will most definitely make less money initially?

Reactions: wj4
Who that article is intended for: the small demographic of already qualified, motivated high school graduates who are seeking an alternative to college to immediately specialize in a particular field.

Who will actually read the article and quote as gospel: lazy NTers and other internet dudes who aren't trying to go to school because they spend all their time copping foambz and chasing yambs on IG.

I don't wear foams or use IG. F college. Imma do it my way. I know too many broke *** graduates already in debt working for crap pay taking on more loans t get into grad school. It's wild. Most ppl who didn't go to college I know in real life are doing way better myself included. Ppl living at home meanwhile I got my own house with rental income. I consider myself avg at that too. I got a job with benefits an I'm working on a lisence right now. Unless it's med filed or engineer I dunno too many grads doing it. I can't believe what ppl pay for student loans 900+ a month lol. Literally the only ones. Engineers or medical. Lol social worker and public health degree. Communications etc. Lmao.

You should be doing better. You had a four year head start and you've stated multiple times on here that you've grown up privileged. You don't think that would have contributed to your current success? And laughing at a social work degree is why the current system sucks. Some people get more out of helping people than a high salary. College should never become trade school. I know Comms majors that are doing it. All programs aren't created equal.

Last edited:
All I got from that article is that there will be a large amount of people thinking that a formal education isn't necessary while squandering their potential to actually elevate their career(s) & overall livelihood. Yes; I can understand where asserting yourself with a particular skill-set could thrive while filtering out the 'unnecessaries', but everyone doesn't have the same opportunity/options as the next man/woman. Much like the influx of online 'colleges', there's also the saturation of accepted applicants every year in most colleges, universities, etc. across the U.S.. (Another issue in itself.) Regardless, this New Options Project won't be any different. It will just create the assumption to most that they can bypass X amount of time to go straight into a particular field of work. Everyone doesn't get hired so what will happen to those that get left behind? Keep taking aptitude tests until you/they realize that we are not all created equal? I'm not saying school is for everybody nor am I saying that an education equals success, but this will only create a lot of false hope (especially for a lot of lazy, unmotivated, etc. individuals). For every 'rags-to-riches' story of someone that decided to forego a formal education, there's plenty more 'failed attempt(s)' stories that say otherwise to this theory of solely adopting and/or accelerating a particular trade...

Cliffnotes:
- You can't expedite success...

You should be doing better. You had a four year head start and you've stated multiple times on here that you've grown up privileged. You don't think that would have contributed to your current success? And laughing at a social work degree is why the current system sucks. Some people get more out of helping people than a high salary. College should never become trade school. I know Comms majors that are doing it. All programs aren't created equal.
Bro, when did I EVER say that I grew up priviledged?  I just said my pops had a good job lol.  I lived out of my car for almost a year, and was about as homeless as it gets circa 2008.

I don't wear foams or use IG. F college. Imma do it my way. I know too many broke *** graduates already in debt working for crap pay taking on more loans t get into grad school. It's wild. Most ppl who didn't go to college I know in real life are doing way better myself included. Ppl living at home meanwhile I got my own house with rental income. I consider myself avg at that too. I got a job with benefits an I'm working on a lisence right now. Unless it's med filed or engineer I dunno too many grads doing it. I can't believe what ppl pay for student loans 900+ a month lol. Literally the only ones. Engineers or medical. Lol social worker and public health degree. Communications etc. Lmao.

You should go to college. Your reasoning, goals, unwarranted criticism of others (and your spelling) show serious ignorance and a lack of education.

Last edited:
Grown up priviledge? Me? Lol I wish? If you wasn't on welfare means you privledged now? I mean end of the day it comes down to the individual but most ppl with communications n weak degrees hurtin. Only ppl I know grads doin good engineer, medical related, accounting I'll throw in. Connecticut is not a cheap state. My study ethic sucked so I was never gonna be any of those. My boy who 23 just did a 9 month program he got a job at Yale Hospital with good pay and benefits as a surg tech. Dude already bout to go new car shoppin for a vw gti no major debt. If he pursues higher ed.....tuition reinbursed. Meanwhile his sis got student loans, gotta come outta pocket for fall classes for now grad school while she continues to struggle an is 25 goin on 26 next year in the field of public health. Whatever man......this is why so many young chicks sellin P these days to get by. Ppl do it all wrong. Go to community college first if you don't got it like that. Hell you goin to Uconn for? I'm not against college but it ain't for everybody and the prices are crazy for what you get or don't get after. As a black man I wanted to have a degree but o well......didn't work out. Now I gotta do it my way. Also one of my HS friends who didn't go to college.......I lost touch with him.....he turned millionaire. If you're not a dummy think outside the box. Also know a few ppl working for metro north making bank also. No college. I know a kid who DJs in my state.....23 yrs old with a condo. Yea I do lack education but don't get it twisted with my grammar on a message board from my cellphone as me bein dumb. Sorry. Real life I read an gain knowledge allthe time.

Last edited:
Anyways my point in all this......in this day in age 2013. I know way more examples of ppl who didn't finish college living a better life than most I know who did. Many more. They learned something or gained experience in a different way. College is better if you got grants, loans, scholarships, parents who help. If not think outside the box an maybe go a lil later but gain knowledge and money first to help you. Whatever though I'm just a college drop out with common sense who lacks education though. Life is good. Depends on the person. I'm not against college I'm against the cost and dreams it sells.

Last edited:
Too much money to be made in the education system so it will never change. I'll be making sure my daughter knows how to code though. I wish I would've learned earlier now I'm playin catch up w/ no time.

Gates made his fortune through bully tactics and offering a widespread product that hadn't yet existed on the mainstream level. At the end of the day, he was lucky enough to be born into an era where computing was in its infancy. Only credit Gates should receive is for having the wherewithal to open source his software.

This new system of education seems promising, but what happens when those already employed college graduates lose their jobs in 10 years to the graduates of these programs, whom will most definitely make less money initially?
Luck? How many millions of people were born in that same era? More people have made their fortunes in computing in the last 10 years than in his era.

He was driven, and executed. Saying that's only credit he should receive comes across as straight hate, so it's hard to take you seriously.

To the thought of employed college graduates losing their job, hopefully the job experience they have will put them ahead of the incoming competition.

You should go to college. Your reasoning, goals, unwarranted criticism of others (and your spelling) show serious ignorance and a lack of education.
or maybe his reasoning and goals arent the same as yours..if dude is happy with his way of life nd income, who are you to come at him with unwarranted criticism about him being ignorant nd uneducated?

this will schism the work force.

people have to realize that a college educated workforce is a relatively modern concept. What bill gates is talking about will level the playing field, and bring us back to the apprenticeship days were the workforce is skilled based rather than credential based.
The sad part is that there are tonnes of jobs that do not intrinsically require a college education, ie. (60 hours of core classes contribute nothing to job preparation).

The modern day college education system is a bit archaic, and arbitrary. Have you ever wondered why it is 4 yrs? why spend a year taking random elective classes to fullfill a major requirement...who really made up these rules and why.

In the UK a number of high paying proffesions do not reqquire a college education (e.g. Accountant, Banker) they may require exam based certification which the student will prepare for.

I buy what gates is selling, but I also understand the barrier to entry that college provides for employers. 

Imagine being able to enter the workforce younger, and with less debts, more on the job training etc. This would surely improve the economic outlook for young people.

this has to deal with grad school but is a good read nonetheless:

http://grammar.about.com/od/classicessays/a/The-Ph-D-Octopus-By-William-James-Classic-Essays.htm

Reactions: wr
He's saying this, but he's biased because he did it. He's the exception, not the rule. The majority of people need a college education to develop the proper intelligence to perform at a high level.
Not true in all cases.... College well higher education in most parts today are desired by employers simple because it is the social norm. Very few fields really need a standard degree, where you could not (if where available) be able to learn ie otj...apprenticeship style.

To be honest college is more about the experience and the ppl/connections you meet along the way, more then the actual curriculum. It isn't that a guy out of nyu, or Columbia or yale is smarter then iuno a guy from fresno state, its the fact that the guy who is at a yale will meet more prominent ppl/gain better experiences and will be in a better position then the guy who graduated from like a fresno state.

The reputation and the ppl who are associated with the ivy league school will place the one guy in a better position, then the local community college guy. College is majority networking and meeting ppl who can put you in places your trying to be.

^@bilboshmangins
that essay was a great read.

I especially liked how he pointed out our hipocrosy in disregarding Europeans and there titles of elitism, yet we created a comparable monster in the US with the "Phd Octopus"

US education system is a social caste system.

Last edited:
He's saying this, but he's biased because he did it. He's the exception, not the rule. The majority of people need a college education to develop the proper intelligence to perform at a high level.
Not true in all cases.... College well higher education in most parts today are desired by employers simple because it is the social norm. Very few fields really need a standard degree, where you could not (if where available) be able to learn ie otj...apprenticeship style.

To be honest college is more about the experience and the ppl/connections you meet along the way, more then the actual curriculum. It isn't that a guy out of nyu, or Columbia or yale is smarter then iuno a guy from fresno state, its the fact that the guy who is at a yale will meet more prominent ppl/gain better experiences and will be in a better position then the guy who graduated from like a fresno state.

The reputation and the ppl who are associated with the ivy league school will place the one guy in a better position, then the local community college guy. College is majority networking and meeting ppl who can put you in places your trying to be.
this....

but, I have to disagree. a lot of ivy league kids, and mit types are actually supersmart. And the coursework at some of those schools is way ahead of what you get at a 'fresno state'. It's more than reputation...in my estimation, especially when it comes to the heavier majors.

e.g. at fresno state you might get a regular joe professor teaching you a programming class. at a harvard you might get the guy who came up with the programming language teaching you the class. 

this....

but, I have to disagree. a lot of ivy league kids, and mit types are actually supersmart. And the coursework at some of those schools is way ahead of what you get at a 'fresno state'. It's more than reputation...in my estimation, especially when it comes to the heavier majors.

e.g. at fresno state you might get a regular joe professor teaching you a programming class. at a harvard you might get the guy who came up with the programming language teaching you the class. 

Mark Zuckerburg I think said it but "Normal Colleges teach you how to get a job, Ivy Leagues teach you how to create jobs"

Half of these Ivy League kids who arent getting into the financial industry arent in college to work for someone, they are there to create their own companies, which is why you have all the start up company cats being Ivy league drop outs

Reactions: wr
Anyways my point in all this......in this day in age 2013. I know way more examples of ppl who didn't finish college living a better life than most I know who did. Many more. They learned something or gained experience in a different way. College is better if you got grants, loans, scholarships, parents who help. If not think outside the box an maybe go a lil later but gain knowledge and money first to help you. Whatever though I'm just a college drop out with common sense who lacks education though. Life is good. Depends on the person. I'm not against college I'm against the cost and dreams it sells.
It all depends on the individual.  But as of recent college has been a bad investment for most and this article here even talks bout it.  Only 150 out of 3500 colleges provide a good ROI.  Pretty low rate if u ask me

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...lleges-worth-investment-former-132020890.html

Back
Top Bottom