66 Billion Dollars with no college degree is unreal right Vol. Richest Man in America

I wish people were taught differently. You don't have to go to college to be successful. You do need skills. Highschools and tradeschools should be the rule and traditional college should be the exception. We need to completely restructure our High School/ Junior College system.

It's all about exams and certifications/ apprenticeship.

There is so much about modern America I don't agree with, and I honestly don't know how we can peacefully change it. For every problem we have fixed, we created another. The only thing that we have really progressed on is race relations and technology, almost every other important aspect of society we have sacrificed (Family, education, labor, healthcare, allocation of resources, FINANCE, ECONOMY, etc.)

Last edited:
I dunno guys.

Having a degree has gotten me jobs that other people could have been way more qualified for.

The fact that I got that piece of paper has made it way easier to find a job since I've graduated.

Plus it's put me in a position to enter short training programs for EXTREMELY good jobs that lots of other people could be qualified for, but might not get into because they don't have a degree unless they've been in that industry for like 10 years already.

The mere fact at I haven't had to hustle AS HARD as someone without a degree to get the same job means something. And where I work I had no experience, but they wouldn't hire someone with mad experience and no degree just cause they use that piece of paper as a cut off for applicants.

For real the only people I see in my area get super successful with no degree all have kids or they work a non-office job that requires a lot more effort. My job is mostly writing and answering emails, filling out paperwork, and maintaining and reorganizing blackboard sites. Someone my age with no degree could easily do my job, but they wouldn't get the job in the first place because the hiring process filters out folks with no degree.

Last edited:
The questions is, what is better for the economy? We assume that what is best for the individual is best for the economy; people having jobs is cool, but everyone having a damn philosophy degree can't benefit. Who would you rather build your house, some kid that has been building houses for ten years, or some dude that hasn't built a house but has 60 credit hours that taught him how to do it?

Well, realistically its the poor that would build our houses. And the kid with the 60 credit hours would be their boss.

Education has been the basis of class since the dawn of civilization.

Class has been the basis of occupation since the dawn of civilization.

Last edited:
I dunno guys.

Having a degree has gotten me jobs that other people could have been way more qualified for.

The fact that I got that piece of paper has made it way easier to find a job since I've graduated.

Plus it's put me in a position to enter short training programs for EXTREMELY good jobs that lots of other people could be qualified for, but might not get into because they don't have a degree unless they've been in that industry for like 10 years already.

The mere fact at I haven't had to hustle AS HARD as someone without a degree to get the same job means something. And where I work I had no experience, but they wouldn't hire someone with mad experience and no degree just cause they use that piece of paper as a cut off for applicants.

For real the only people I see in my area get super successful with no degree all have kids or they work a non-office job that requires a lot more effort. My job is mostly writing and answering emails, filling out paperwork, and maintaining and reorganizing blackboard sites. Someone my age with no degree could easily do my job, but they wouldn't get the job in the first place because the hiring process filters out folks with no degree.
I THINK YOU PROVE BILL GATES' POINT?

Yea, sure. Bill Gates makes a good point.

I think it would be a great idea.

It would bring down the cost of education, and have a huge impact on unemployment in our country.

How much time from say, now, would this take to not only be implemented but also have tangible results and become a sucessful program? Over/Under ten years?

Last edited:
Who that article is intended for: the small demographic of already qualified, motivated high school graduates who are seeking an alternative to college to immediately specialize in a particular field.

Who will actually read the article and quote as gospel: lazy NTers and other internet dudes who aren't trying to go to school because they spend all their time copping foambz and chasing yambs on IG.

This :lol:

Yea, sure. Bill Gates makes a good point.

I think it would be a great idea.

It would bring down the cost of education, and have a huge impact on unemployment in our country.

How much time from say, now, would this take to not only be implemented but also have tangible results and become a sucessful program? Over/Under ten years?
OVER/UNDER NEVER...

That endowment money! Plus those teacher salaries etc...its all a convuluted system.

The cheapest alternative is to reevaluate the general education and core requirements + shrink elective requirements for degrees. You could potentially decrease the degree from being 4-5 yrs to 3yrs, or maybe even 21/2yrs.

This would then lead to shrinking an aa to a year long career oriented program (most cc certification programs are only a yr long anyhow).

the less time you spend in school the less you pay. 

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ts-is-not-bringing-lower-tuitions.html?pg=all

Anyways my point in all this......in this day in age 2013. I know way more examples of ppl who didn't finish college living a better life than most I know who did. Many more. They learned something or gained experience in a different way. College is better if you got grants, loans, scholarships, parents who help. If not think outside the box an maybe go a lil later but gain knowledge and money first to help you. Whatever though I'm just a college drop out with common sense who lacks education though. Life is good. Depends on the person. I'm not against college I'm against the cost and dreams it sells.
laugh.gif
People who go to Devry and Everet don't count. Dude basically just said you're more likely to be successful if you don't go to college.  If you don't need college that's fine but stop feeding people your misguided seemingly salty outlook on college. You sound like someone who got rejected from every school he applied to.

Anyhow if I owned a company I'm not hiring anyone without a college degree for certain positions, especially leadership positions. Going to college matters, and more importantly where you went to college matters.

Last edited:
Who that article is intended for: the small demographic of already qualified, motivated high school graduates who are seeking an alternative to college to immediately specialize in a particular field.

Who will actually read the article and quote as gospel: lazy NTers and other internet dudes who aren't trying to go to school because they spend all their time copping foambz and chasing yambs on IG.
Basically.
laugh.gif

Jobs people without at least a college degree will NEVER get

Physician

Lawyer

Dentist

Most Engineering and hard science jobs (although in theory you could if you're self taught)-But I don't want anyone without a college degree building my bridge

Lebron doesn't have a college degree.

Last edited:
Anyways my point in all this......in this day in age 2013. I know way more examples of ppl who didn't finish college living a better life than most I know who did. Many more. They learned something or gained experience in a different way. College is better if you got grants, loans, scholarships, parents who help. If not think outside the box an maybe go a lil later but gain knowledge and money first to help you. Whatever though I'm just a college drop out with common sense who lacks education though. Life is good. Depends on the person. I'm not against college I'm against the cost and dreams it sells.
laugh.gif
People who go to Devry and Everet don't count. Dude basically just said you're more likely to be successful if you don't go to college.  If you don't need college that's fine but stop feeding people your misguided seemingly salty outlook on college. You sound like someone who got rejected from every school he applied to.

Anyhow if I owned a company I'm not hiring anyone without a college degree for certain positions, especially leadership positions. Going to college matters, and just as importantly where you went to college matter.
http://www.businessinsider.com/warr...er-education-says-its-not-for-everyone-2012-5

Basically.
laugh.gif

Jobs people without at least a college degree will NEVER get

Physician

Lawyer

Dentist

Most Engineering and hard science jobs (although in theory you could if you're self taught)-But I don't want anyone without a college degree building my bridge

Lebron doesn't have a college degree.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you crossed out most engineering and science jobs. Most electrical, aeronautical, chemical, mechanical engineers have at least a bachelors of science....and many of them higher degrees like PhDs and Masters. In theory u can be a self taught engineer but it's rare.

It's clear who's brainwashed by society in this thread....most of you are proving Gates' point lol

I dunno guys.

this is exactly whats wrong with society

plenty of people out there who can do the same job if not better than the fresh 21 year old out of college but because of a piece of paper they are able to further themselves financially while the others are trapped as minimum wage workers

school is cool and all but its also a scam the internet is a valuable resource and if one wanted to further themselves intellectually they can do it for free

all that degree does is show employers you were committed to school so you will be committed to them

i know the system wont change in my lifetime so i go to school cause i want that plush 9-5 office job making 6+figures yearly
mean.gif

glad to see somebody with influence trying to make a change

It's clear who's brainwashed by society in this thread....most of you are proving Gates' point lol
it's not brainwashed its just the way the system has been setup. It should be better...but no one ever tells people that there are alternatives...or better yet no one questions the system.

Nuclear plant equipment operator.
laugh.gif
Technicians and people who operate things BUILT by Engineers and NOT engineers. A radiology technician is not the same as a radiologist or the person who built and designed the CT-scan/ MRI.
laugh.gif

You're right, I'm brainwashed for thinking most people need formal education to become interventional radiologists.

The keyword was hard science. Maintenance and janitorial engineering doesn't count.

BDW the guy with the bachelors degree probably has a leg up on the competition. If an employer has to choose between someone with a degree and someone without, all things equal he's going with someone with a degree.

Last edited:
I dunno guys.

this is exactly whats wrong with society

plenty of people out there who can do the same job if not better than the fresh 21 year old out of college but because of a piece of paper they are able to further themselves financially while the others are trapped as minimum wage workers

school is cool and all but its also a scam the internet is a valuable resource and if one wanted to further themselves intellectually they can do it for free

all that degree does is show employers you were committed to school so you will be committed to them

i know the system wont change in my lifetime so i go to school cause i want that plush 9-5 office job making 6+figures yearly
mean.gif

glad to see somebody with influence trying to make a change
so it weeds out the people who really want to do the job?

Nuclear plant equipment operator.
laugh.gif
Technicians and people who operate things BUILT by Engineers and NOT engineers. A radiology technician is not the same as a radiologist or the person who built and designed the CT-scan/ MRI.
laugh.gif

You're right, I'm brainwashed for thinking most people need formal education to become interventional radiologists.
you'll notice that the job said aa or ba. So same for other engineer level jobs.

You really think that evry engineer out there is building powerplants, and inventing x-ray machines? No, most are being trained on the job to oversee processes that have been implemented by others. Intrinsically such lines of work do not require all the bells and whistles of a 4yr degree.

laugh all you want that's a 60k job out the gate?????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom