66 Billion Dollars with no college degree is unreal right Vol. Richest Man in America

[h1] [/h1][h1]Bill Gates And His Foundation: Employers Should Focus On Skills, NOT College Degrees[/h1][h1] [/h1]
JULIE BORT AUG. 5, 2013, 7:02 PM  [color= rgb(243, 80, 42)]6,150[/color]  33

bill-gates-22.jpg

AP

Bill Gates
The Gates Foundation is encouraging employers to do something called "skills-based hiring" as an alternative to hiring based on college degrees.
By using a college degree as a requirement, employers are automatically overlooking people that are capable but have no degree.

Ultimately, this isn't helping the employer, the workforce or the economy, Angela Cobb argued in a blog posted by the Gates Foundation on Monday.

Research from the Aspen Institute points out  that despite the high unemployment rate, nearly 3 million U.S. jobs are unfilled because employers can't find people with the right skills, Cobb points out.

So the Gates Foundation, in connection with an organization called Innovate+Educate, is working on a program called the New Options Project, lead by Cobb. It acts like an alternative to a traditional college education, somewhat like a cross between a vocational school and an exam. Employers in a region can work with the program to develop a skills-based credentialing system. People can take the test to show mastery of a skill or aptitude and get more training from there.

Innovate+Educate says skills-based hiring fills jobs faster than traditional methods, and finds candidates who need less training and are less likely to quit.

"Ultimately, our hope is that this method will help to level the playing field and give everyone a shot at having a fulfilling career regardless of past education or work experience," writes Cobb.

Gates himself famously never finished college and he's a fan of this approach, as he told Fast Company's Anya Kamenetz in April:

"The ideal there is creating a skills-based credential that is well trusted and well understood enough that employers view it as a true alternative to a degree," he said.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-skills-better-than-degrees-2013-8#ixzz2bCw1RftE
I was talking to my bro about what Bill Gates would do with the rest of his money.

66 billion could really solve world hunger, or do alot of good.

being such a philanthropist, I knew Bill Gates would do some kind of good with the money.  This seems pretty dope.  Could Bill Gates just fully invest 66 Billion over the rest of his life to completely overhaul the college system in this country?

Please stop perpetuating the notion that people don't need college. Even in these hard economic times, a degree will put you in a better position than someone who doesn't have one. His success is very rare. He got into Harvard so that right there separates him from the rest of the pack. He has genius level intellect and had already taken the necessary steps to become a success before he dropped out.

Last edited:
Please stop perpetuating the notion that people don't need college. Even in these hard economic times, a degree will put you in a better position than someone who doesn't have one. His success is very rare. He got into Harvard so that right there separates him from the rest of the pack.
To be fair, my dad held a high executive position at a pretty major company for 30 years with an associates in drafting.

Please stop perpetuating the notion that people don't need college. Even in these hard economic times, a degree will put you in a better position than someone who doesn't have one. His success is very rare. He got into Harvard so that right there separates him from the rest of the pack. He has genius level intellect and had already taken the necessary steps to become a success before he dropped out.

Did you even read the article?

:rolleyes

Here are some bullet points to help you!

• New Options Project... acts like an alternative to a traditional college education, somewhat like a cross between a vocational school and an exam.
  • Employers in a region can work with the program to develop a skills-based credentialing system.
  • People can take the test to show mastery of a skill or aptitude and get more training from there.
  • Innovate+Educate says skills-based hiring fills jobs faster than traditional methods, and finds candidates who need less training and are less likely to quit.

He's saying this, but he's biased because he did it. He's the exception, not the rule. The majority of people need a college education to develop the proper intelligence to perform at a high level.

Please stop perpetuating the notion that people don't need college. Even in these hard economic times, a degree will put you in a better position than someone who doesn't have one. His success is very rare. He got into Harvard so that right there separates him from the rest of the pack.

To be fair, my dad held a high executive position at a pretty major company for 30 years with an associates in drafting.

Different times. Back in the day, getting great jobs really weren't that uncommon for people without degrees, especially if you had a great work ethic. Starting entry level and just moving on up. Now however, you need a degree just for entry level. The competition is way higher and the degree to which one must go to be better than their counterparts is lengthier.

did they teach reading comprehension at your college?

eyes.gif

• New Options Project... acts like an alternative to a traditional college education, somewhat like a cross between a vocational school and an exam.
  • Employers in a region can work with the program to develop a skills-based credentialing system.
  • People can take the test to show mastery of a skill or aptitude and get more training from there.
  • Innovate+Educate says skills-based hiring fills jobs faster than traditional methods, and finds candidates who need less training and are less likely to quit.
  •  
Yes I did so save your slick *** comment. These threads always go in the same direction that college is a scam and a waste of money. Just like him forcing Africans to be immunized at gunpoint, he's in a position to where he can say these things because of his money and power.

Last edited:

eyes.gif

•  
Yes I did so save your slick *** comment. These threads always go in the same direction that college is a scam and a waste of money. Just like him forcing Africans to be immunized at gunpoint, he's in a position to where he can say these things because of his money and power.
did you go to college?

do you have money and power?

I'm starting my junior year later this month (at the ripe old age of 27), but it doesnt mean that I dont want to hear other perspectives, or think that there arent other ways to succeed in America. College isn't the answer for everybody, and there are millions of incredibly competent people who arent necessarily good students.

so chill bro.  please

wink.gif

Reactions: Ube
He's saying this, but he's biased because he did it. He's the exception, not the rule. The majority of people need a college education to develop the proper intelligence to perform at a high level.
So you're telling me that the purpose of college is to "develop intelligence?" If you really and truly believe this, either you have not been to college or you missed some critical things while you were there.

Word. College helps build discipline and work ethic. You will more than likely learn everything else on the job. College GPA gives the employer a measurement of your work competence/ability to learn/discipline.

Sadly those days are gone. Back then it was not uncommon for a line worker to work up to become a supervisor then a manager then a director, etc. The scary part is that if the company should ever downgrade and cut those folks off, it would be nearly impossible for them to find a comparable position elsewhere without a college degree.

We need to revamp high school and make it teach or at least be set up where it guides you into a career path/lets you explore.
It also depends on the location. I went to a high school that was mediocre at best. Basically, if you show up to class you'd get a C at least. Another high school 30 miles away, also part of the LAUSD, was a lot more competitive. I was in for a rude awakening when I had to compete against those kids for college entrance. High school was nothing but a fashion show to me. I had to teach myself how to really study and time manage in college.

So you're telling me that the purpose of college is to "develop intelligence?" If you really and truly believe this, either you have not been to college or you missed some critical things while you were there.

I'm in Grad school, I'm not saying that that is all that is gained, College is also a weed out system for society, but even in accepting that, you cannot shade the fact that a lot is learned in those classrooms. A lot of people attend college with no direction at all as to what they want to pursue in the future, it helps with that. It helps with discipline, work ethic, hunger, a sense of self, personal development, social development, you name it. Sure, it's insanely expensive and in many instances borderline criminal, ( the whole book buyback bs) but for the most part, it's an extremely beneficial experience, imho.

Some great points being made in here.
I see what the article is saying and i agree with him for the most part. College is a good thing but if you don't have the means to attend you should have an equal chance at landing a job. I think that is great in theory and hope it would happen. Whether it is possible of not...doubtful in the short term.

But this could solve a lot of the problems i personally see within the education system. College is too expensive a lot of people are going into too much debt to get a degree just to land a 35k a year job (or no job at all). If the hiring field was more level and you could go to a cheap alternative type trade school and still stand a good chance of competing for a job....this would definitely help mitigate the college loan bubble and the high cost of education IMO.

This would hopefully lead to slightly more "trade based" high school classes so those that know what they want to do when they graduate high school can head in that direction. I always had a problem with not having an engineering....or finance....or accounting class in high school. But in college i needed to declare my major before i even knew what those classes even meant.

Bill Gates attended college. That college atmosphere certainly helped to get him where he is today. He also went to Harvard :rolleyes Realistically... the average individual would be at a gross disadvantage with no college experience. Of course exceptions exist, but they are certainly not the norm. Heck Bill Gates isn't the norm for people who did graduate college.

Who that article is intended for: the small demographic of already qualified, motivated high school graduates who are seeking an alternative to college to immediately specialize in a particular field.

Who will actually read the article and quote as gospel: lazy NTers and other internet dudes who aren't trying to go to school because they spend all their time copping foambz and chasing yambs on IG.

Bill Gates has a genius level intellect and is incredibly successful, obviously.

but I figure that he may know something I dont about education, intelligence and the American workforce.

Who knows, he may be an expert on the subject

Back
Top Bottom