98' NBA All-Star Game

If not the best one I have seen, definitely the most memorable. I'll never forget the Kobe oop from KG (1:07).

Peep Mike work him on the baseline with the back to back fade aways(1:50)

eek.gif
at 4:25 on the first vid.

I forgot how explosive Kobe used to be.
MJ working him on the baseline
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I couldn't imagine being 19 years old and playing with those guys.
Ridiculous.

There's been better ASG's I actually didn't like this one because they just oversaturated it into a MJ vs. Kobe and passing the torch over typething.

Great videos.

I wish they brought back some of those jerseys, but what else is new?

On a side note- individual team jerseys>all star jerseys

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

There's been better ASG's I actually didn't like this one because they just oversaturated it into a MJ vs. Kobe and passing the torch over type thing.
Agreed. But this was the beginning.

Kobe 19 and KG was what 20? Even a Cavs Kemp was on the team and still catching oops.

KG repped the young bucks early and still does for his generation. Much props.

This game was the Bob Kobe Costas game....first time in my life I had to turn the sound off for a sporting event.

^^^ why? i thought costas was a good commentator...watching this game i knew kobe was gonna be something speciaL, he didnt back down from mike at the age of19
eek.gif
...mike owned him though of course but kobe just put on a show,enjoyed it when magic and jack stood up for an ovation

^ The cameras spent half the night on "Kobe vs. Mike." Ya i get it, it's TV....but at the time i remember myself and my roommates were litterallylike we're turnin this off.......and we all were Kobe fans at the time.

Costas did his typical "I need to dramatize this event" and he spent the next 3 hours acting like Bryant was a 10 time vet dropping 50 pts on thekids instead of the green 19 year old who Karl Malone even said after the game ""Like I told coach (George) Karl, when younger guys tell me to get ofthe way, that's a game I don't need to be in." LOL

Man MJ was killing them in the post Kobe or anyone else couldn't do anything but watch.....And it looked like he did it with ease.....Wish i could haveseen him play in person
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

24>23
Smack yourself...

On another note.....one underlying story about this game was the beginning of the end for Penny. I am not sure if half of the childrenhere remember this season 97-98 season, but if you noticed Penny in the opening moments of that video -- he started the season with a knee injury andhadn't played up till the ASG. He controversily played in the ASG once he was voted starter (his 4th in a row); he played only 12 minutes.

He then played for a game or 2 after the ASG, then was out for the season. Since then he has had four surgeries on that same knee, all damage done from comingback too early just to play in an ASG.

To what could have been.....

My dude NVE and Eddie Jones were all-stars too!
pimp.gif

4 Lakers reppin' the West in 98.
pimp.gif

Nick. Eddie. Shaq. and Kobe.
pimp.gif

Eddie's 15/11 > Kobe's 18/6. Yeah, I said it.

I have this game on my ipod and watch it to past the time at work.

Originally Posted by mrflightclub23

Man MJ was killing them in the post Kobe or anyone else couldn't do anything but watch.....And it looked like he did it with ease.....Wish i could have seen him play in person
frown.gif
agree my man. i wish i could've seen him play in person as well.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

My dude NVE and Eddie Jones were all-stars too!
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Nick. Eddie. Shaq. and Kobe.
pimp.gif

Eddie's 15/11 > Kobe's 18/6. Yeah, I said it.

I have this game on my ipod and watch it to past the time at work.

This can also be the allstar game remembered as that was the beginning of the end for Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones in the purple and gold. After this allstargame Eddie Jones & Elden Campbell were traded to the Hornets for Glen Rice, J.R. Reid, and B.J. Armstrong
tired.gif
. Then later that year in the 2nd round of the playoffs Nick Van Exel did his"1,2,3 Cancoon" chant before the Lakers got swept by the Jazz which led to Shaq going to Dr. Buss and telling him he wanted Nick traded whichhappened and Nick became a Nugget.

One of the greatest weekends of my life. Spent almost every moment at the Javits center/MSG. The ASG, Rookie practice, John Starks free-throw clinic, Leon (theguy from Cool Runnings). Ah, good times.

I used to collect NBA posters, and had a Lakers poster with Shaq, Kobe, NVE, and EJ, and it said "Laketown Shakedown" or something like that.

Originally Posted by Koopa2410

Originally Posted by mrflightclub23

Man MJ was killing them in the post Kobe or anyone else couldn't do anything but watch.....And it looked like he did it with ease.....Wish i could have seen him play in person
frown.gif
agree my man. i wish i could've seen him play in person as well.
frown.gif
MJ had post moves like a power forward.

there is no question jordan is better than any one we have ever seen just look how well he mastered his other skills as his athletic ability wasn't what itonce was.

Who would've thought 6 years later the lakers would have the same starting 5 that started for the west that year minus KG

Originally Posted by rickybadman

All Star games are not fun without Kobe. Since he came into the league almost every memorable AllSatr game involved Kobe. The League better hope he is healthy this year.
Just how MJ was from '85 - '98
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom