_How hard is it to buy a car form Craigslist?

so my dad and i are looking to buy a mustang

i've been emailing this guy and what not and i have a meet up tomorrow

i requested the VIN to use on a carfax report and asked him about any problems or anything. asked him details and jank.

my method of payment is either going to be check, or cash plus check.

what else do i need to do? haha

anyone buy a car off craigslist before?

Originally Posted by AirWeezy03

i bought one from craigslist ask for a test drive
oh forsure. i'd be crazy to buy a car and not test drive it.

how's your car as of now? (of course all scenarios are different, but just curious)

careful if i remeber correctly there was a series of robberies usin this method, and if your gonna say "well we dont bring cash" the robbers wereholdin people hostage and what not, so watch out
nerd.gif

Carfax is a good idea.

Give it a test drive.

Have a mechanic look under the hood.

i bought my truck off craigslist

exchanged emails, numbers and met up for a test drive..he also gave me the vin# so i can run a carfax on it

as long as your meeting him in person and doesn't tell you he's shipping the car out to you, your pretty much set

Originally Posted by mjbetch

Originally Posted by AirWeezy03

i bought one from craigslist ask for a test drive
oh forsure. i'd be crazy to buy a car and not test drive it.

how's your car as of now? (of course all scenarios are different, but just curious)
nothing has happened to it

oh yeah, i also have been speaking to him in person. i just hope he nor my dad flakes on me hahaha

just sold my car via craigs. i was blessed to have such a nice buyer come down and look at it and buy it on the spot. if the seller seems serious enough thenit's probably good to go. some listings, i can't even tell if they want to sell the car or they don't...so look for a serious looking ad and justwork it out from there. sign the bill of sale, the dmv form, the title, inspect the car drive the car, if you don't know then bring someone that does,negotiate negotiate negotiate, (want to do paperwork after this actually) then buy the car put plates on you brought from your old car (illegal but who caresas long as you don't get caught) and drive home.

good luck and post pics! what mustang btw?

haha i will. but it's a 2003 Gt Convertible with only 50k. Dude is moving over seas so he's listening to lowball offers.

723ddw.jpg

comes with stock bullitt and those SSR wheels

Bring a Mechanic to check it out.
Make sure it's not a salvage title
Make sure he has the title
Take it for a test drive
Ask yourself is it worth it?
Make sure all accessories work
BRING A MECHANIC

Run the carfax report first.

Set an appointment at a note worthy mechanics shop in the area for an inspection, and have the seller meet you at the shop. Paying for an inspection up frontwill save you lots of grief. Most sellers aren't willing to do this if their car's are not in good condition.

Test drive the car there at the shop...see if the mechanic will ride with you.

Leave the radio off so that you can hear everything. Do half the test drive windows up, and half windows down.

Pay with a certified cashier's check (never take cash)

*make sure that you get both keys, and the valet key (luxury vehicle) from the seller. You don't want a late night drive off by the original owner afterhe/she has your money.

thanks for the help nt. i'll let you know how it goes.

but please keep posting!

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

Run the carfax report first.

Set an appointment at a note worthy mechanics shop in the area for an inspection, and have the seller meet you at the shop. Paying for an inspection up front will save you lots of grief. Most sellers aren't willing to do this if their car's are not in good condition.

Test drive the car there at the shop...see if the mechanic will ride with you.

Leave the radio off so that you can hear everything. Do half the test drive windows up, and half windows down.

Pay with a certified cashier's check (never take cash)

*make sure that you get both keys, and the valet key (luxury vehicle) from the seller. You don't want a late night drive off by the original owner after he/she has your money.
He knows what he's talking about.

Originally Posted by mjbetch

haha i will. but it's a 2003 Gt Convertible with only 50k. Dude is moving over seas so he's listening to lowball offers.

723ddw.jpg

comes with stock bullitt and those SSR wheels
some guy was selling a a4 for cheap cuz apparently he was moving over seas to
my friend too kit to a mechanic and found out it had been in wrecks and about everything was wrong with car

so i checked out the car earlier today. the autocheck (same as carfax) report was legit, but i viewed the car and dude treats it like crap.

the car is just plain ol DIRTY. i mean you could at least clean it up if you were gonna sell it...

the engine bay was covered in dirt, there was loose change, debris and what not all over the flooring. pollen all over the dash. dent's all around.scratches. panels not securely in tact

i mean i'd buy it for $5000... but for $7500? come on now.

it did sound sick though..

Back
Top Bottom