A child dies of starvation every 6 mins in Somalia. Thanks for helping raise $18,000 so far!

The stamps are a great way to get donations. I usually just give my donation money to my uncle since he works with several charities, but I'll donate some via Niketalk.

I want those badges............... Do I get 10-24$ badge and 25$ and up badge if I donate or just one? 

Just one.  If you donate $100+ but you LOVE the $25 badge, I'll be happy to give you that one instead, but the reason I can't give people all three is because these images add up.  You can already see how much space my Japan badge, Somalia badge, and NT staff badge take up.  

In the future, we'd love to build in a feature where you can store all of the badges you've earned and then select which ones you'd like to display on the fly, like changing an avatar.  If and when that happens, I'll try to make sure that users who donates at the $100+ level, for example, have access to all three images.

For the time being, however, you'll get the one badge associated with your level. 

Hey man, just a suggestion for raising money:

You should make shirts that just say NKETLK with the cool patterns, the logos with the flags are very cool and I'd definitely rock one a shirt that just had it on it. Same goes with the Japan NKETLK, I think it's simple yet understated.

First of all, I'm really glad to hear that you're satisfied with the logo designs.  This had to come together on short notice and, unfortunately, I wasn't able to receive any graphic design help.  I've always found it better to light a candle than curse the darkness, so I did what I could to put something together just as with the NTxJapan fundraiser banner.  It's wonderful to hear that you like the design enough to want a t-shirt with it. 

This came up in an earlier thread regarding the famine in Somalia, though I'll repeat the main point here:
For the sake of efficiency, we'd greatly prefer to encourage direct donations.  
Physical products take too long to produce and the money spent creating and shipping those products would be put to better use by the charity itself. 

We'll do caps because people want caps and then donate the proceeds to charity, but if people WANT to help others in the event of a disaster they should do exactly that.  It shouldn't require treating oneself to a physical product as incentive. 

As I said during the Japan donation drive:  don't buy a shirt to look like you care.  Act like you care instead.  
Right now, the very BEST way to help those in need is by direct donation.  That's our focus and that's what we hope you will inspire others to do in order to help those in need.
I've thought about donating but haven't yet researched credible and safe places to send my money...

That's a concern that's I certainly share.  We don't select charities lightly.  To this point, it's been extremely difficult for most NGO's to be effective due to the intervention of militia groups, who've denied them access, stolen emergency supplies, and even killed relief workers.  This, in part, is why so many Somalians are traveling hundreds of miles to refugee camps.  Until recently, US policy prohibited US-based organizations from taking any action that could potentially support the Al-Shabaab (whether directly or indirectly.)  They've since eased those restrictions.  

We wanted to make sure that our donations reach the intended beneficiaries and that we're giving to one of the most responsible organizations out there.  

After the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, we supported Doctors Without Borders through both direct donation and a custom sneaker fundraiser.  That proved a very sound decision, as independent evaluators like Give Well awarded top honors to Doctors Without Borders for their response to that disaster.  A current blog entry on Give Well also recommends that donors support Doctors Without Borders above all other organizations:  http://blog.givewell.org/2011/07/25/somalia-east-africa-famine-relief-donations/

Doctors Without Borders has been a leader in transparency and honesty.  They don't publish appeals for donor funds if those funds are unlikely to be of immediate benefit in a given situation.  

It's important to keep in mind, too, just how important Doctors Without Borders' services will be in the existing refugee camps where they're already well-established.  Those traveling to these camps often cross hundreds of miles of desert and arrive in urgent need of medical attention.  These camps are becoming increasingly overcrowded, which raise additional epidemiological concerns.  

No matter how pessimistic you are about supplies reaching starving families, keep in mind that you can't so easily intercept a service.  The relief provided by Doctors Without Borders goes beyond fresh water and nutrition.  The care and services they offer are literally invaluable and we want to help them increase their capacity to the best of our ability.  

I hope you'll join us in contributing to their work. 

I don't wanna be that guy, but there are starving children all over the U.S. too
ohwell.gif

Shouldn't we start here first? Compassion International, Christian Children fund, Save The Children...

I don't think public support is going to be too strong, which is very heartbreaking. I've already seen comments  pertaining to now there will be less criminals, but when your're starving what can you do? It's a wicked game.

DONATED! It's really good to see others on here reaching out to help others. Sometimes i think there are people on here who are only concerned with buying sneakers and other perishable things but charity and what you do for others extends beyond the grave….sorry, just rambling.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

I don't wanna be that guy, but there are starving children all over the U.S. too
ohwell.gif

Shouldn't we start here first? Compassion International, Christian Children fund, Save The Children...

wow kid you really need to read a book or something
how can you even compare the level of starvation over there to the united states 

ohwell.gif

I doubt a child dies of starvation every 6 minutes in the U.S.

will i be able to have a japan and somali niketalk badge at the same time??! 

Absolutely.  We are still accepting donations for our Japan fundraiser as well, so we'll continue to award badges for both fundraisers accordingly.  In the future, we may have to limit people to the three most recent badges earned, but for the time being it's not an issue at all.  

I think they're a great way to help raise awareness and demonstrate a sense of unity among our members.  It's easy to recognize those who've sacrificed with us to reach our community goals and help those affected by these terrible disasters.  
Meth what happened with the $1 per mile? Are you still going to set that up? 
I would love to do that.  There didn't seem to be much enthusiasm when last I checked, but perhaps now that we have this fundraising page up we can coordinate our efforts. 
It's simple to organize.  Runners can request sponsorships from friends and family who will commit to donate $1 for every mile they run.  In addition to the Nike+ leaderboards, we can create our own listing here based on the confirmed donations associated with each runner.  That would be the core concept, but we can build on that and incorporate additional feedback/suggestions.  The key is to GET STARTED.  We can always tweak it along the way, but the need for donations is urgent and our fundraising efforts should reflect that.   

so, don't use the mercycorps website correct?

It's not my goal to discourage people from helping.  Donate where you feel your money will be the most effective. 

We've decided to run the official NikeTalk donation drive through http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/niketalk/somalia, though.  That's the website that will keep track of our community's total and those are the only donations we'll be awarding badges for.  It's just more efficient to use a single source.  

That's not a knock on Mercy Corps.  We think they're doing a great job in Japan and wish them the best in their efforts to assist here as well.  Every situation is different, and based on our research we have the utmost confidence in Doctors Without Borders' ability to help at this particular point in time and we're eager to move forward with the official donation drive. 

So Strange, I literally just checked my email and saw that someone donated $150 to our Mercy Corps page!:

I know exactly who that is and I've already thanked that person accordingly for their generous donation.  (It is one of our fellow members.)
I'm glad to see that the first handful of donations has already come in.  I'll add your badges shortly, but first I need to push something out to Twitter to get the #NT fam involved.

I hope you'll all be active in helping to get the word out as well.  We're working as a team here and we need to deliver a WIN to the people of Somalia. 

Method Man wrote:
Yeah seeing you make a donation thread for this cause makes me confident that this is a good charity because I already had a feeling that you don't select charities lightly...
Niketalk will definitely continue to have a positive impact in this world..
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Originally Posted by empirestrikesfirst

Can we get a sticky? I'll be contributing next week and want to be able to find the thread.
This. I'm paycheck to paycheck status right now
frown.gif

Meth.. Can i haz mi Japan NT badge on dis account doe? Since u banned my last one
ohwell.gif
but then again idk how much longer this one has til u bring down the ban-hammer 
laugh.gif
tired.gif

And man i wanna donate. Its a good cause yeah & its great that ur doing it. The power of NT
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif
 BUT i want does badges...  
laugh.gif
Im so broke though. Ill see if i can donate soon.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by empirestrikesfirst

Can we get a sticky? I'll be contributing next week and want to be able to find the thread.
This. I'm paycheck to paycheck status right now
frown.gif
this. can't donate at this very moment.. but want to as soon as i can.. 

Originally Posted by adiosburritos

ohwell.gif

wow kid you really need to read a book or something
how can you even compare the level of starvation over there to the united states 
lrn2read

where did you see me "compare" anything

[h1]compare[/h1][kuh
thinsp.png
m-pair] Origin

[h2]com·pare[/h2]   /kəmˈpɛər/ Show Spelled [kuh
thinsp.png
m-pair] Show IPA verb, -pared, -par·ing, noun

verb (used with object)
to examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences: to compare two pieces of cloth; to compare the governments of two nations.

Back
Top Bottom