A child dies of starvation every 6 mins in Somalia. Thanks for helping raise $18,000 so far!

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
Over 11 million people in east Africa are currently suffering from the worst drought in over sixty years.  29,000 children under the age of 5 have already perished in the last 90 days alone due to this terrible tragedy.   
ss-110712-africa-famine-002.grid-7x2.jpg

Roughly half the entire Somali population stands in urgent need of assistance, yet, due to regional instability, aid has proven difficult to come by.  Thousands of families have streamed across the border into refugee camps established in places like Dabaab, Kenya.  The Dabaab camp, which was originally built to accommodate 90,000 people, must now serve over 387,000.  MSF International estimates that over half a million people will settle in and around this camp alone by the end of 2011.  The situation is dire - but not without hope.    

In March, members of the NikeTalk community came together to donate over $20,000 to help support disaster relief efforts in Japan.  Now, we are called upon to help those suffering amid this terrible hunger crisis in east Africa.  Please join us in contributing to one of the world's most respected and responsible charities, Doctors Without Borders, as they work to provide supplies and medical care to those in need.  With most media outlets preoccupied by the state of the US economy, it will be up to all of us to help spread awareness of this urgent and growing crisis.   

To help, we've created a new group fundraising page here:

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/niketalk/somalia

Our current goal is $3,000.  In March, you guys amazed everyone by raising over $1,000 in under 24 hours.  Your response to that tragedy easily ranked among our community's greatest achievements to date.  

Given the relative lack of media attention, we're all going to need to work harder in order to achieve similar results for the people of east Africa.  

Please donate today

To show our gratitude for your generous and compassionate gifts, we'll be awarding users who donate over $10 with a special badge that will appear next to your posts. 

If you give between $10 and $24, you'll receive the following badge, based on the Somali flag:

0302581679a0eb78f4e2b7f1951748fdef775ab.gif

If you give between $25 and $99, you'll receive this badge, which also incorporates the Somali crest:

c7115d6daeb5f3221b9f346cc79fd36016707d9.GIF

Those kind enough to donate over $100 will be recognized with this special NikeTalk badge:

d541516ba6bdf3203babc874cc1fc63921fa6fd.gif

***Please note that in order to receive your badge, you MUST:  

1) Donate through our group fundraising page: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/niketalk/somalia

2) Leave your screen name in the comments section when making your donation!

Even in these challenging times, we all have the resources to help ease suffering as millions of men, women, and children struggle for their very lives.  

May we all prove worthy allies in their fight for survival.

Update:  

Thanks so much to everyone who's contributed thus far!  Lana85's donation of $200 has put us up to $1,868.41.  If we can just raise another $132 by midnight, we'll have raised over $2,000 together in under 48 hours!

4/12/12 Update:

To further support your efforts, the NikeTalk staff has just contributed $13,000 to Doctors Without Borders.  This donation is now reflected on our fundraising pages, bringing the community total to over $18,000!

For those of you waiting until payday, keep in mind that, if you donate more than once, I will gladly upgrade your badge.  So, if you give $10 today and $15 Saturday, you'll be eligible to receive the crests badge.  Similarly, if you give $10 ten times, you can earn the $100+ badge.  Just make sure you leave your NT sn in the comments section each time so we can easily verify your total. 

Hey man, just a suggestion for raising money:

You should make shirts that just say NKETLK with the cool patterns, the logos with the flags are very cool and I'd definitely rock one a shirt that just had it on it. Same goes with the Japan NKETLK, I think it's simple yet understated.

Originally Posted by scshift

You should make shirts that just say NKETLK with the cool patterns, the logos with the flags are very cool and I'd definitely rock one a shirt that just had it on it. Same goes with the Japan NKETLK, I think it's simple yet understated.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

yeah i think meth addressed this before. he said something to the effect of "the production cost of a t shirt, and the time it takes to distribute isn't as easy as a flat out donation"

edit: donated
pimp.gif

One of those things I always think about but just push back in my mind to deal with my own immediate problems...
I've thought about donating but haven't yet researched credible and safe places to send my money...

Originally Posted by Method Man

Roughly half the entire Somali population stands in urgent need of assistance, yet, due to regional instability, aid has proven difficult to come by. 
can you go further into detail?

and I love the idea of badges 
happy.gif
, will def motivate people to donate.

So Strange, I literally just checked my email and saw that someone donated $150 to our Mercy Corps page!:

http://www.mercycorps.org/fundraising/nt_1

I definitely think (whoever it was) deserves some sort of special recognition for his/her donation (i.e. the badge, assuming it was a NT'er).

Meth, thanks for the post!  I will try to direct my thread accordingly!  I think we should all work together on this one!

I'll donate $100 tomorrow at work. I spent over $100 at the bar last week so $100 to this is worth it indeed.

this. it would be good but I do see how some of the money would go towards making the actual shirt. Obviously we need to donate the most possible to this so it makes more sense to do flat donations. We should also do the shirts though. it'll raise a bit more money and people would buy more NT products. It would be appreciated, however for now I'll just send in a donation as soon as I can in the next coming days.

As a matter of fact...I just donated what I could afford at the moment.

Will give more as soon as I can.

God Bless the people of Somalia.

will i be able to have a japan and somali niketalk badge at the same time??!
pimp.gif

i'll donate later tonight....waiting for teen wolf

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

will i be able to have a japan and somali niketalk badge at the same time??!
pimp.gif

i'll donate later tonight....waiting for teen wolf

UHH odd question but where do you reside? i ask cuz you like the weirdest mix of pro sports teams?

Meth what happened with the $1 per mile? Are you still going to set that up?
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom