A college admissions strategy: Don't check Asian.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

That same !%%$ is happening here in Canada too, not just in the U.S.  They're really trying to reduce the number of Asian students.  The motive? Beats me, maybe they're trying to promote diversity?  Maybe the white parents who are complaining should've instilled the value of hard work in their kids, have they ever considered that?

The motive is to NOT have a school filled with Asians. Asians aren't really looked highly upon in America.

If they did a blind acceptance without looking at names/race, it would be like the UC school system is, with a disproportionally high number of Asians. Look at Stuyvesant High School in NYC, which is regarded is one of the top high schools in America. In order to get in, you need to take a blind test which showcases your academic aptitude. And Asians are almost 70% of the student body.

I just think it's funny how you never hear the people in charge say "oh we need less Caucasians, or we need less black people, or we need less Hispanics". If they said that, public outcry. But yet, they can openly, not even subtly, say "we want to reduce the number of Asians in our schools".

Asians don't get much respect or representation here. That, and the people who run things can blatantly discriminate against Asians, because they know there won't be a large backlash. If they did what they're doing to Asians to any other racial group, people would take up arms. But Asians just play it off, say whatever and try to adapt, and let things slide. Things like this only happen because we let it happen, and because we won't speak up.

Wait, wut? You do realize that the majority of the UC Asian student body in Cali and even in Canada are angry about this and have all taken it to the school dean right? They are speaking up.  You act like Asians are all docile and quiet about this +#!!.

Why should Asians be given an unfair disadvantage for acceptance? I'm guessing at least half of the Asian students in most Unis are international students, and these people already pay like 5x the amount of the tuition in-state students pay, they pump in hella money for these schools yearly.  Yet, we still get the short end of the stick because we "outperform" everyone else academically or because there are too many of us. 

Asian-Americans make up about 12% of California's population and 4% of the U.S. population overall, yet they make up 40% of the student body in Cali.  Why should there be barriers for us? It's $@%+%@ up an unfair, to say the least. 

That same !%%$ is happening here in Canada too, not just in the U.S.  They're really trying to reduce the number of Asian students.  The motive? Beats me, maybe they're trying to promote diversity?  Maybe the white parents who are complaining should've instilled the value of hard work in their kids, have they ever considered that?

The motive is to NOT have a school filled with Asians. Asians aren't really looked highly upon in America.

If they did a blind acceptance without looking at names/race, it would be like the UC school system is, with a disproportionally high number of Asians. Look at Stuyvesant High School in NYC, which is regarded is one of the top high schools in America. In order to get in, you need to take a blind test which showcases your academic aptitude. And Asians are almost 70% of the student body.
The entrance exam for specialized high schools in NYC is not a blind test. Anyone can have access to practice tests and materials to prepare for the test. A lot of the students(regardless of color) at Stuy took a prep course in middle school preparing for the exam. People say that those who had money to send their kids to tutoring for the exams had a higher advantage but I feel like if everyone was left clueless on the content of the exam and took it, those who got in would've gotten in anyway. Stuy kids are good test takers, which is why the average SAT for our school is a lot higher than the national average and also explains the kids with 2100+ SATs but 75 averages
laugh.gif
. It's easier to get into Stuy now compared to when I took the test. My graduating class had around ~770 kids. I believe the current freshmen class has around 1000. Our reputation is @#$+*% though because of the drug problems
laugh.gif

Wait, wut? You do realize that the majority of the UC Asian student body in Cali and even in Canada are angry about this and have all taken it to the school dean right? They are speaking up.  You act like Asians are all docile and quiet about this +#!!.

Why should Asians be given an unfair disadvantage for acceptance? I'm guessing at least half of the Asian students in most Unis are international students, and these people already pay like 5x the amount of the tuition in-state students pay, they pump in hella money for these schools yearly.  Yet, we still get the short end of the stick because we "outperform" everyone else academically or because there are too many of us. 

Asian-Americans make up about 12% of California's population and 4% of the U.S. population overall, yet they make up 40% of the student body in Cali.  Why should there be barriers for us? It's $@%+%@ up an unfair, to say the least. 

I didn't hear anything about that, so it looks like they'll need to bring more attention to this. What I was trying to say is that Asians everywhere should be mad about this #!$!. Instead of just those who it affects, everyone who feels for it should do something, anything, I don't know. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I feel like no other race/ethnic group would ever allow this to happen so blatantly.

And of course this is unfair. This is racial discrimination.

BTW, are you a student?

Originally Posted by Supremacy

The entrance exam for specialized high schools in NYC is not a blind test. Anyone can have access to practice tests and materials to prepare for the test. A lot of the students(regardless of color) at Stuy took a prep course in middle school preparing for the exam. People say that those who had money to send their kids to tutoring for the exams had a higher advantage but I feel like if everyone was left clueless on the content of the exam and took it, those who got in would've gotten in anyway. Stuy kids are good test takers, which is why the average SAT for our school is a lot higher than the national average and also explains the kids with 2100+ SATs but 75 averages
laugh.gif
. It's easier to get into Stuy now compared to when I took the test. My graduating class had around ~770 kids. I believe the current freshmen class has around 1000. Our reputation is @#$+*% though because of the drug problems
laugh.gif

I meant blind as in the admissions don't take into account race... at least that's what I read.

How was the environment there? Was everyone mad smart and beasts at school?

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

FUNNY HOW NO ONE GETS MAD WHEN RACIAL STEREOTYPES ARE USED WHEN IT WORKS OUT IN THEIR FAVOR. FOR EXAMPLE, "ASIANS GET GOOD GRADES."

SMH. HYPOCRITES.
Duh.
Thank you captain obvious.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I meant blind as in the admissions don't take into account race... at least that's what I read.

How was the environment there? Was everyone mad smart and beasts at school?
Well Stuy doesn't take into account race. But for some of the other schools like Brooklyn Tech, it's a different story. Basically they have this thing where if you're hispanic or black and didn't make the cutoff but was close to it, they gave you an option to take summer class and you'll be enrolled in tech in the fall after that.

As for the environment, it's honestly not that different from any other school. Smoking in bathrooms, chronic cutting of class by a select few, drug usage, fights, etc were all present.
As for the students, some are smart. Can't say the same for others though. Lots of lazy kids from lack of motivation. As far as staff goes, some teachers were good and some were bad. I felt like it was one of the only schools where i looked forward to finals/Regents week because finals are departmental and it's easier than regular in class exams.

The top students go off to Ivys or other schools on that level. Majority go to schools like NYU, UMich, and some state schools.
For my class I believe NYU had the most kids, followed by Stony Brook.

Oh, and if you're a parent in NYC who wants your kid in stuy, send him/her to Mark Twain for middle school. ~100 kids from my class came from Mark Twain

Edit:  http://www.schoolwiki.jes...ons_of_the_class_of_2011
List of kids and the schools they went to from my class.
Obviously not every single person in the grade is on the list but a lot are on it.

Well Stuy doesn't take into account race. But for some of the other schools like Brooklyn Tech, it's a different story. Basically they have this thing where if you're hispanic or black and didn't make the cutoff but was close to it, they gave you an option to take summer class and you'll be enrolled in tech in the fall after that.

As for the environment, it's honestly not that different from any other school. Smoking in bathrooms, chronic cutting of class by a select few, drug usage, fights, etc were all present.
As for the students, some are smart. Can't say the same for others though. Lots of lazy kids from lack of motivation. As far as staff goes, some teachers were good and some were bad. I felt like it was one of the only schools where i looked forward to finals/Regents week because finals are departmental and it's easier than regular in class exams.

The top students go off to Ivys or other schools on that level. Majority go to schools like NYU, UMich, and some state schools.
For my class I believe NYU had the most kids, followed by Stony Brook.

Oh, and if you're a parent in NYC who wants your kid in stuy, send him/her to Mark Twain for middle school. ~100 kids from my class came from Mark Twain

Damn I figured it would have been like an academic mill from what I've heard/read.

The fact that most of the kids go to above average schools is pretty much expected. Most of the kids in my school go to the big state schools which aren't too hard to get into.

How far are you out from graduating? How have your classmates turned out? Are most of them doing well, successful, etc?

Edit: I just checked out that college list for the class of 2011.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You guys are PACKING for that list.

Originally Posted by kilojules64

^Oh, something about those conversions just seemed off to me. 1100 seems higher than a 1550 for whatever reason. I guess that's because I took the SAT in the 2400 era and a 1550 seems abysmal
laugh.gif

edit: An 1100 converts to a 1650 not a 1550, no? 250 off from each section=750 points off=1650

laugh.gif
good looks on that catch. The quick math broke it down to 550 a section, and I definitely forgot to put that 100 in with the conversion
30t6p3b.gif
ironic considering I'm Black and I teach calculus
laugh.gif
But in all seriousness, I was on the track team as an undergrad and the stats for legacy students & athletes were the ones that tended to get accepted if they were on the lower side. The percentage of Black students on sports teams was disproportionately higher than their percentage of the overall student body so I do think the numbers are quite a bit skewed when they say the average is 1100. Also, these weren't the athletic kids who just joined the team to put something on their college apps... they were beasts.

For the Black students that weren't on any athletic team, their SAT scores were generally pretty ridiculous. If the test wasn't then they had a GPA that most high schoolers dream of. If you know of any Black students from your HS that went to an Ivy League or other tier 1 school, do you recall them being the slacker or underachieving student that these media outlets constantly feed you?

Getting a 1100 (or 1650/2400) with nothing else on your plate but a GPA is pretty pathetic. If all a Black student had to do was crank out a 1650, half the goons from the hood would be rocking Brooks Brothers sweaters with their alma-mater stitched onto the chest.

If you don't answer any questions, don't you get a 1200? Getting a 1650 means you only have to answer a small handful of questions right per section.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Another math error, teach. Study never said that the black SAT average was 1100.

That's more an English error than a math error. The reading comprehension section was admittedly the weakest of my 3
30t6p3b.gif
BUT. From revisiting it, is this not saying that for an Asian student to be on equal footing with a Black student they would have to get a 1550 compared to the Black student's 1100? A 1550/1600 is a 2320 or 2330 (only goes by increments of 10). What other factors did this statistical experiment hold constant? Was it solely based on race and SAT score? a 2330 is a phenomenal score that puts you well into the 99th% from what I know. I don't trust those squares from Princeton
laugh.gif

If there is one thing you learn from statistics/math, it's that you can make numbers do whatever the hell you want them to.

What if you check Asian, but have a Spanish last name? Will they think, hybrid? We need diversity.

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

What if you check Asian, but have a Spanish last name? Will they think, hybrid? We need diversity.

They would think you're Filipino 

Not this debate again.

How far are you out from graduating? How have your classmates turned out? Are most of them doing well, successful, etc?

Edit: I just checked out that college list for the class of 2011.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You guys are PACKING for that list.
Just graduated in June so too early for anything major right now
laugh.gif

I can tell you that a few of the names on the NYU list are part of JP Morgan's Smart Start program thing. If you don't know, it's where you go to a school in NYC (columbia, fordham, nyu, and a few cuny) and you work at JP Morgan part time. Tuition and fees are covered 100% by JP Morgan. Basically they're not paying a dime to go to school and they're pretty much guaranteed a job after graduation since 4 years at JP Morgan is pretty good.
Also, some of the kids on the Macaulay Honors for Baruch have guaranteed transfers to Cornell after a year assuming they maintain a certain GPA.

Also, I know you like cars and stuff. Well, an alum in the 2010 class is a NASCAR driver.
http://julialandauer.com/

What do you check on your job applications?

College semantics are one thing; try getting a job just being asian and get back to me.

Just graduated in June so too early for anything major right now
laugh.gif

I can tell you that a few of the names on the NYU list are part of JP Morgan's Smart Start program thing. If you don't know, it's where you go to a school in NYC (columbia, fordham, nyu, and a few cuny) and you work at JP Morgan part time. Tuition and fees are covered 100% by JP Morgan. Basically they're not paying a dime to go to school and they're pretty much guaranteed a job after graduation since 4 years at JP Morgan is pretty good.
Also, some of the kids on the Macaulay Honors for Baruch have guaranteed transfers to Cornell after a year assuming they maintain a certain GPA.

Also, I know you like cars and stuff. Well, an alum in the 2010 class is a NASCAR driver.
http://julialandauer.com/

I know it really doesn't matter, but damn I'm really wishing I went there right now. Your school, on paper, is full of ambitious and talented students, and it would be awesome to learn/meet some of them. I've never heard of anyone from my school who has anything comparable to the JP Morgan program... that is amazing.

And yeah, that's also one of my dreams, to be a driver. A professional racer at age 19? Incredible. Again, no one from my school has ever done anything that notable or spectacular. At least I figure I'll probably run into some of the alumni later on in my life.

y'all should join collegeconfidential.com and talk about this. Bunch of overly-anxious teens who do nothing but literally waste their lives away thinking about the admissions process. aka me last year.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ElCatfisho

y'all should join collegeconfidential.com and talk about this. Bunch of overly-anxious teens who do nothing but literally waste their lives away thinking about the admissions process. aka me last year.
laugh.gif

College Confidential
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Everyone there has like a 2300+ SAT and 3.8 GPA and constantly make threads about their chances of getting into Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc. Like you have as good of a chance as anyone else
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

College Confidential
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Everyone there has like a 2300+ SAT and 3.8 GPA and constantly make threads about their chances of getting into Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, etc. Like you have as good of a chance as anyone else
laugh.gif
it's hilarious reading the threads with like, "do i still have a chance for HYPS?" in the title sporting their 3.5's, sub 2000 SAT. no one bothers replying because they don't want to bother saying that he/she done goof'd.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

it's hilarious reading the threads with like, "do i still have a chance for HYPS?" in the title sporting their 3.5's, sub 2000 SAT. no one bothers replying because they don't want to bother saying that he/she done goof'd.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

That site got borderline depressing when I was browsing through the "What are my chances?" thread and saw kids with ridiculous stats applying to the same schools as me.

I'm never going back to that site
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

College Confidential
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 It's so hard to know what your "chances" are.  My bro had like a 4.3 GPA, over a 1500 on the SAT (out of 1600), killed a few AP tests, was an Eagle Scout, and played on 2 basketball teams.  He still got shot down from Stanford.  Things like that really make me believe in race discrimination.

Back
Top Bottom