A college admissions strategy: Don't check Asian.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

1100 for blacks??? Damn so I could have went Ivy league if I wanted to. Darn.... missed out
indifferent.gif

you went to CC.. didnt you...

anyway i thought this was common knowledge... schools have quotas to fill too

Originally Posted by impalaballa187

PharelFor3 wrote:
1100 for blacks??? Damn so I could have went Ivy league if I wanted to. Darn.... missed out

and my pops is Yale Alumni

i figured i had no chance tho

I wouldn't really sell it like it's that easy my man. Black students are still less than 6 or 7% of the entire ivy league, and the overwhelming majority of these Blacks are NOT getting 1100 (or 1550/2400) on the SAT, they're getting >2000 scores. Don't let these people sell you dreams like being Black is an instant acceptance
laugh.gif

a 1550/2400 has an abysmally small chance of getting into Yale, or any other school in that caliber, regardless of race. It happens, but that is an exception and NOT the norm.
Real Talk.
I love how the media tries to spin it to make it look like the black/african-american students at Ivy League schools didn't work as hard to get there.  90% of them are like val-edict/salutatorians with near perfect ACT/SAT's.  Trust me, they earned their way in.  

PharelFor3 wrote:

I wouldn't really sell it like it's that easy my man. Black students are still less than 6 or 7% of the entire ivy league, and the overwhelming majority of these Blacks are NOT getting 1100 (or 1550/2400) on the SAT, they're getting >2000 scores. Don't let these people sell you dreams like being Black is an instant acceptance
laugh.gif

a 1550/2400 has an abysmally small chance of getting into Yale, or any other school in that caliber, regardless of race. It happens, but that is an exception and NOT the norm.

Weren't they using the 1600 scale?

Originally Posted by kilojules64

PharelFor3 wrote:

laugh.gif

Weren't they using the 1600 scale?

You didn't see him adjust the scores in his post?
laugh.gif

Yes we know they are using a 1600 score hence the scaling factor.

what type of %!@#%+*! is this?

and
laugh.gif
at the underachievement of black people in here

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Originally Posted by Kramer

Tell that to the University of Washington

Are you white, too dumb, or did not have the sufficient grades to get accepted at the UW or is it a combination of all three?
That is a very mean statement, you should apologize 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Aquatic Barefoot

PharelFor3 wrote:

laugh.gif

Real Talk.
I love how the media tries to spin it to make it look like the black/african-american students at Ivy League schools didn't work as hard to get there.  90% of them are like val-edict/salutatorians with near perfect ACT/SAT's.  Trust me, they earned their way in.  

This isn't Ivy League, but in my HS, our valedictorian got rejected from MIT with perfect SAT. He was white. Ended up going to Columbia. Another guy was Hispanic, had the average SAT score for my school, average was 94, and got into MIT.
A lot of the black and hispanic students in the Ivy Leagues work hard but the color of their skin does help them.

^Oh, something about those conversions just seemed off to me. 1100 seems higher than a 1550 for whatever reason. I guess that's because I took the SAT in the 2400 era and a 1550 seems abysmal
laugh.gif

edit: An 1100 converts to a 1650 not a 1550, no? 250 off from each section=750 points off=1650

eek.gif
 That SAT statistic is shocking.  All the asians at my school who had 3.5+ GPA did horrible on the SAT's 
roll.gif
 Like 1800 and below.
Team 2000+ 
pimp.gif

i said i was asian on my apps and only got into a school in alabama.
i am indian however and there was nothing else that really identified me, india being a subcontinent in itself its not typically what you consider asia (even though it is)

anyways the school i go to now is an international school so race didn't really matter

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

That same !%%$ is happening here in Canada too, not just in the U.S.  They're really trying to reduce the number of Asian students.  The motive? Beats me, maybe they're trying to promote diversity?  Maybe the white parents who are complaining should've instilled the value of hard work in their kids, have they ever considered that?

The motive is to NOT have a school filled with Asians. Asians aren't really looked highly upon in America.

If they did a blind acceptance without looking at names/race, it would be like the UC school system is, with a disproportionally high number of Asians. Look at Stuyvesant High School in NYC, which is regarded is one of the top high schools in America. In order to get in, you need to take a blind test which showcases your academic aptitude. And Asians are almost 70% of the student body.

I just think it's funny how you never hear the people in charge say "oh we need less Caucasians, or we need less black people, or we need less Hispanics". If they said that, public outcry. But yet, they can openly, not even subtly, say "we want to reduce the number of Asians in our schools".

Asians don't get much respect or representation here. That, and the people who run things can blatantly discriminate against Asians, because they know there won't be a large backlash. If they did what they're doing to Asians to any other racial group, people would take up arms. But Asians just play it off, say whatever and try to adapt, and let things slide. Things like this only happen because we let it happen, and because we won't speak up.

but don't they basically know that your an asian based off your last name? i mean its kind of obvious... except filipinos

I wonder if this is true for graduate school as well. Even though my family is from South America...we're not of Latin decent so I was gonna pick asian on that question.

Whats the odds of picking "other" and now being frowned upon about being indecisive?

FUNNY HOW NO ONE GETS MAD WHEN RACIAL STEREOTYPES ARE USED WHEN IT WORKS OUT IN THEIR FAVOR. FOR EXAMPLE, "ASIANS GET GOOD GRADES."

SMH. HYPOCRITES.

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

FUNNY HOW NO ONE GETS MAD WHEN RACIAL STEREOTYPES ARE USED WHEN IT WORKS OUT IN THEIR FAVOR. FOR EXAMPLE, "ASIANS GET GOOD GRADES."

SMH. HYPOCRITES.
why would anyone?

Originally Posted by spacerace

SMH. HYPOCRITES.
why would anyone?

THE THING IS THAT THEY DO GET MAD
Its all perspective..... Ive seen some Asian dudes in class get HEATED when the typical Asian stuff is brought up about grades and ethic. This is a conversation that goes a long that of "white privileged" and now that this is being affected NEWS ARTICLES ARE WRITTEN ABOUT IT

but let now forget the struggles of the browns and blacks...... Even if compared equally Hispanics still lose compared to all

SMH. HYPOCRITES.
why would anyone?

IT'S STILL RACIAL PROFILING AND STEREOTYPICAL WHETHER THE SOURCE IS POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE.

SMH. HYPOCRITES.
why would anyone?

IT'S STILL RACIAL PROFILING AND STEREOTYPICAL WHETHER THE SOURCE IS POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE.

there you go

Really? I'm half white, half Asian (Indian) and felt as if high schools and colleges would accept Asians with open arms to raise their academic rankings. I went to a private Catholic high school, which went from a 75% white population during my freshman year to 55% by the end of my senior year
laugh.gif
Indians, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, and Chinese students run California
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom