A Concise History of Black-White Race Relations in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Mac A Roni

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

this cartoon mostly applies to black people who are still in the hood. if ur in the burbs and ur effing up...u can't blame the white man.

No.

smh.gif
[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]...ima leave it at that[/color]
I'll tackle it

Regardless of if we are in the hood or in the 'burbs the fact still remains that in general the white population got lifted and progressed on the back ofminorities. The fact that some of us have made it to the 'burbs doesn't erase that fact. This has nothing to do with if someone is effing up or not,just like the title it's a CONCISE history of the relations between the two races not an excuse or a reason for anything. Capiche?

Originally Posted by r33p04s

this cartoon mostly applies to black people who are still in the hood. if ur in the burbs and ur effing up...u can't blame the white man.

No.

smh.gif
I'll tackle it

Regardless of if we are in the hood or in the 'burbs the fact still remains that in general the white population got lifted and progressed on the back of minorities. The fact that some of us have made it to the 'burbs doesn't erase that fact. This has nothing to do with if someone is effing up or not, just like the title it's a CONCISE history of the relations between the two races not an excuse or a reason for anything. Capiche?
wait i never said anything about that part
laugh.gif

my post pertains mostly to the last pic where the black guy is asking for a hand and the white guy doesn't give it to him. i do think that it's fairfor black people who are born in the hood to be able to blame white people for many of their problems, although it is not a full excuse for failing to dosomething with your life...it is a fact that there is a much lower chance of succeeding if ur born in the hood as opposed to the suburbs.. i've wrote adecent amount on the cycle of poverty and it is a fact that if ur born in the hood...the odds work strongly against you, and chances are that your kids willlive in the hood, and unfortunately so will your grandkids.

the reason i said that it doesn't apply to black people in the suburbs is because a black kid in the burbs doesn't have to deal with nearly as much asa black kid growing up in an inner-city. at that point they don't need any help from white ppl/government to make something of themselves. unlike the kidin the inner-city that can use the assistance of white ppl/government (i kno a black man is president...but the only way white people can help is reallythrough gov which is ran by mostly white ppl.) That kid's neighborhood can get a better a better funded schooling system, better law enforcement, etc.

i really don't know what's wrong with what i'm saying.

Thats not what the cartoon is about though.

Its not about the hood or the burbs.

It about Africans being stolen from their homelands to build this nation and the way that many whites (and ignorant blacks) want to disregard thecircumstances, which bought the nation to this point, without making amends or taking the centuries of history which preceded into account.

Society does not operate in a vacuum.

The family of a black lawyer or doctor could spoil their children with the best that money can buy and provide for them as best as possible...bu that childstill has to deal with the harsh racial realities of this nation, regardless of their economic situation.

"Even if you in a Benz still a _ in a coupe"

No.

smh.gif
I'll tackle it

Regardless of if we are in the hood or in the 'burbs the fact still remains that in general the white population got lifted and progressed on the back of minorities. The fact that some of us have made it to the 'burbs doesn't erase that fact. This has nothing to do with if someone is effing up or not, just like the title it's a CONCISE history of the relations between the two races not an excuse or a reason for anything. Capiche?
wait i never said anything about that part
laugh.gif

my post pertains mostly to the last pic where the black guy is asking for a hand and the white guy doesn't give it to him. i do think that it's fair for black people who are born in the hood to be able to blame white people for many of their problems, although it is not a full excuse for failing to do something with your life...it is a fact that there is a much lower chance of succeeding if ur born in the hood as opposed to the suburbs.. i've wrote a decent amount on the cycle of poverty and it is a fact that if ur born in the hood...the odds work strongly against you, and chances are that your kids will live in the hood, and unfortunately so will your grandkids.

the reason i said that it doesn't apply to black people in the suburbs is because a black kid in the burbs doesn't have to deal with nearly as much as a black kid growing up in an inner-city. at that point they don't need any help from white ppl/government to make something of themselves. unlike the kid in the inner-city that can use the assistance of white ppl/government (i kno a black man is president...but the only way white people can help is really through gov which is ran by mostly white ppl.) That kid's neighborhood can get a better a better funded schooling system, better law enforcement, etc.

i really don't know what's wrong with what i'm saying.
Your original comment is completely irrelevant to the cartoon. You're arguing a completely different point that has nothing to do with thecartoon. The cartoon has nothing to do with the the hood or suburbs. It's a depiction of the historical relationship between the two races. I understandwhat you're saying (poor family begets poor children, rich family begets rich children) but it is irrelevant to the subject at hand. I really don'twant to type out what the cartoon is trying to convey it should be pretty self-explanatory.

Thats not what the cartoon is about though.

Its not about the hood or the burbs.

It about Africans being stolen from their homelands to build this nation and the way that many whites (and ignorant blacks) want to disregard the circumstances, which bought the nation to this point, without making amends or talking the centuries of history which preceded.

Society does not operate in a vacuum.

The family of a black lawyer or doctor could spoil their children with the best that money can buy and provide for them as best as possible...bu that child still has to deal with the harsh racial realities of this nation, regardless of their economic situation.

"Even if you in a Benz still a _ in a coupe"
so we agree with the red which is the basic meaning of the cartoon. which means we don't need to argue that.

i'm just saying the last frame of it...where the dude is asking for a hand represents where the black man is presently in 2009, and where the white man ispresently in 2009. an in the year 2009...that black man in the last frame is not representative of the family of a black doctor...because that family would notbe reaching for the white mans hand...because they don't need it.

we agree with the bolded part as well. no matter how much fitted polo shirts a black person has in their closet, what middle class town they live in, etc. theunfortunate truth is that society still can't look past that black persons skin color. just like what the all falls down line is saying.

so we agree on the bolded part...but it really has nothing to do with the thread.

the black man in the last picture does NOT represent the son of a rich black man. even if that son has to accept the past of the countries race relationsbetween whites and blacks.

it represents the black person who's grandfather lived in the hood, whose dad lived in the hood, who lives in the hood himself, and whose kids will live inthe hood. they just seem to not be able to get out of the hood because of the odds being so stacked against them. regardless of wheather or not that blackperson accepts the past of the countries race relations between whites and blacks, that black person is being represented in the last frame of the cartoon. andthe probable reason that they are in the hood in the first place is because of what the first five frames of the cartoon show.

Your original comment is completely irrelevant to the cartoon. You're arguing a completely different point that has nothing to do with the cartoon. The cartoon has nothing to do with the the hood or suburbs. It's a depiction of the historical relationship between the two races. I understand what you're saying (poor family begets poor children, rich family begets rich children) but it is irrelevant to the subject at hand. I really don't want to type out what the cartoon is trying to convey it should be pretty self-explanatory.
i never said that's what the cartoon is about
roll.gif

its pretty obvious to see what the cartoon is about.

its just a point i was making. there is really nothing to debate about it. and it's not irrelevant if its about the cartoon. if i was posting about alooney toons cartoon...then it would be irrelevant. but how is what i'm saying irrelevant if its about the cartoon that the thread is about.

why am i wasting my time

it represents the black person who's grandfather lived in the hood, whose dad lived in the hood, who lives in the hood himself, and whose kids will live in the hood. they just seem to not be able to get out of the hood because of the odds being so stacked against them. regardless of wheather or not that black person accepts the past of the countries race relations between whites and blacks, that black person is being represented in the last frame of the cartoon. and the probable reason that they are in the hood in the first place is because of what the first five frames of the cartoon show
why u breakin it down tho..jus accept the damn cartoon for what it is
laugh.gif

we agree with the bolded part as well. no matter how much fitted polo shirts a black person has in their closet, what middle class town they live in, etc. the unfortunate truth is that society still can't look past that black persons skin color. just like what the all falls down line is saying.

Isn't this a gross generalization though? Not everyone is this closed minded and prejudice in today's world. We have come a long way, we're not allthe way there yet, to the point where there aren't these types of people, but a long way nonetheless. We'll get there though.

Certain people label things such as affirmative action as reverse racism, when it's really just kinda of a "Yo can you help me out here?"

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

we agree with the bolded part as well. no matter how much fitted polo shirts a black person has in their closet, what middle class town they live in, etc. the unfortunate truth is that society still can't look past that black persons skin color. just like what the all falls down line is saying.

Isn't this a gross generalization though? Not everyone is this closed minded and prejudice in today's world. We have come a long way, we're not all the way there yet, to the point where there aren't these types of people, but a long way nonetheless. We'll get there though.

you're right. it is a generalization. and i'll generalize generalizations by saying that generally, generalizations have exceptions.

Originally Posted by 0cks

Certain people label things such as affirmative action as reverse racism, when it's really just kinda of a "Yo can you help me out here?"

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Your point really has nothing to do with the cartoon though, the cartoon is about race relations and history in America as a whole.

The black and white characters representing the respective races in aggregate not any narrow or specific portion of each population.

There are whites who are understanding of history and inclusive in their endeavors and there are blacks in America who are the rich inheritors ofAfrican-American millionaires, who actually owned slaves themselves....the cartoon is not being specific and obviously not addressing them...so why would youmake that point?

And even still, many rich black families still need the cooperation of progressive whites to become fully integrated into an American society where whites havedeeply entrenched power and ownership, which has been keep "in the family" for centuries.

Without making efforts for diversity and progress in certain sectors, even rich blacks can't break through the glass ceilings and find a seat in the"good old boys clubs" still spread across this nation.

the black man in the last picture does NOT represent the son of a rich black man. even if that son has to accept the past of the countries race relations between whites and blacks.

it represents the black person who's grandfather lived in the hood, whose dad lived in the hood, who lives in the hood himself, and whose kids will live in the hood. they just seem to not be able to get out of the hood because of the odds being so stacked against them. regardless of wheather or not that black person accepts the past of the countries race relations between whites and blacks, that black person is being represented in the last frame of the cartoon. and the probable reason that they are in the hood in the first place is because of what the first five frames of the cartoon show.

i never said that's what the cartoon is about
roll.gif

its pretty obvious to see what the cartoon is about.

its just a point i was making. there is really nothing to debate about it. and it's not irrelevant if its about the cartoon. if i was posting about a looney toons cartoon...then it would be irrelevant. but how is what i'm saying irrelevant if its about the cartoon that the thread is about.

why am i wasting my time

I should be asking myself that same question.
tired.gif
"Toeach one, teach one"
You don't get it dude. Stop trying to put rich black people in one category and poor black people in another. The fact still remains that for the majorityof this countries history until very recently black people as a whole have been second class citizens regardless of income and to some extent is still trueeven with a black President (NY POST cartoon?). The last panel is showing that when black people as a whole ask for a help up white peoples general responsewas...you can read it. Stop complicating it.

And yes your point about a rich family not needing the help up is irrelevant. There is no mention of money. Like ABH said society does not operate in a vacuumeven if a black family has Bill Gates/Donald Trump money their kids still has to go out and deal with people (at one point or another) who for whatever reasonwill treat them as less than the equivalent white person. I'm not debating your point it just has nothing to do with the cartoon at hand.

Isn't this a gross generalization though? Not everyone is this closed minded and prejudice in today's world. We have come a long way, we're not all the way there yet, to the point where there aren't these types of people, but a long way nonetheless. We'll get there though.
you're right. it is a generalization. and i'll generalize generalizations by saying that generally, generalizations have exceptions.

That still doesn't make it ok.

You don't get it dude. Stop trying to put rich black people in one category and poor black people in another. The fact still remains that for the majority of this countries history until very recently black people as a whole have been second class citizens regardless of income and to some extent is still true even with a black President (NY POST cartoon?). The last panel is showing that when black people as a whole ask for a help up white peoples general response was...you can read it. Stop complicating it.
Completely irrelevant since our previous President has an entire website dedicated to comparing him to chimps.

Bush Or Chimp?

Your point really has nothing to do with the cartoon though, the cartoon is about race relations and history in America as a whole.
its just a point i was making. there is really nothing to debate about it. and it's not irrelevant if its about the cartoon. if i was posting about a looney toons cartoon...then it would be irrelevant. but how is what i'm saying irrelevant if its about the cartoon that the thread is about.
that's like saying a mention of the smushcalade is irrelevant in a smush parker topic
laugh.gif

im done with this thread. gotta wake up in 5 hours. it was fun semi-debating haze
happy.gif

The middle bottom one.....

One of the reasons why OBAMA was elected President.

^you might not like to hear it.... but it's true.
A lot of white people still felt/feel guilty for some reason even though they had nothing to do with slavery..... and feel like they owe black people somethingstill.... and the people feeling this way are mostly all NOT racist

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

The middle bottom one.....

One of the reasons why OBAMA was elected President.

^you might not like to hear it.... but it's true.
A lot of white people still felt/feel guilty for some reason even though they had nothing to do with slavery..... and feel like they owe black people something still.... and the people feeling this way are mostly all NOT racist
eek.gif

so we're like, even now?!?!?

that i said it, or that it exists? or both

its not ok that it exists. but i see no problem with saying it if i think it does. as a matter of fact i KNOW it does growing up around white people in LongIsland which isn't exactly alabama.

You don't get it dude. Stop trying to put rich black people in one category and poor black people in another. The fact still remains that for the majority of this countries history until very recently black people as a whole have been second class citizens regardless of income and to some extent is still true even with a black President (NY POST cartoon?). The last panel is showing that when black people as a whole ask for a help up white peoples general response was...you can read it. Stop complicating it.
Completely irrelevant since our previous President has an entire website dedicated to comparing him to chimps.

Bush Or Chimp?

I didn't see any of those pictures depicting him being shot by the police
eyes.gif

and there is a long history of racism in comparing black people to monkeys...its offensive plain and simple

Bush Or Chimp?

I didn't see any of those pictures depicting him being shot by the police
eyes.gif

and there is a long history of racism in comparing black people to monkeys...its offensive plain and simple

The reason that the chimp was being shot by police was another story from the previous days news that involved an incident where police had tomurder a chimp who mauled its owner. I am in no way saying that the cartoon was tasteful political commentary, but it is kind of ridiculous to just ignore thefact that our previous President was compared to a monkey for pretty much his entire second term.

To your second point, if it was any other paper that published the cartoon, I'd argue, but quite frankly I wouldn't put it past that disgusting tabloidto stoop that low.

Back
Top Bottom