A Concise History of Black-White Race Relations in the U.S.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Dumb cartoon because it only applies to a small percentage of whites. What about the millions of European immigrants that came over here in the early 20th century with little or nothing? They made it on their own.

word and if u look deeper into history, some europeans were slaves too at one point (thats were the term comes from: slavs/slavic people). Not to mention serfdom and other types of forced labor.

Cartoons like this are just adding fuel to the fire

Y'all are truly some sad and ignorant folks?

What does European slavery have to do with American Race relations?

How is European Slavery in any way comparable to the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade?

What was the point of this thread?

Adding fuel to what fire?

"Americans Too many White Americans are cowards on the matters of race...."

Originally Posted by emkay

Dumb cartoon because it only applies to a small percentage of whites. What about the millions of European immigrants that came over here in the early 20th century with little or nothing? They made it on their own.

There wouldn't even be a damn United States of America for them to come to without the blood of millions of African being spilt.

The issue and system of African chattel slavery was the unifying and building force behind our Republic. How is this even comparable?

Stop copping pleas and complaining....Some of you need to grow a spine and come to terms with history. Stop throwing out diversions and ditractions from thecentral issue of American society.

In a world in which economies were rapidly globalizing how can you ignore the competitive advantage of slave labor? The US was the only country that had freelabor in their own backyard. You can make an argument that further along in time slaves only really benefited the south, but there's no denying that slavesgot this country poppin at the jump.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by emkay

Of course they did, with an equal education, rights, as well as several other amenities blacks went without. That logic is flawed SORRY.
cosign. it's always those people who try to say other races came to america and made a better life for themselves. Of course! They werentenslaved to the extent black people were

In a world in which economies were rapidly globalizing how can you ignore the competitive advantage of slave labor? The US was the only country that had free labor in their own backyard. You can make an argument that further along in time slaves only really benefited the south, but there's no denying that slaves got this country poppin at the jump.

I'm sorry if I'm mis-interpreting what you are saying, but I don't think the US was the only country to engage in the slave trade. Weren't there nations in Europe that were using black, slave labor?

Originally Posted by isu42

In a world in which economies were rapidly globalizing how can you ignore the competitive advantage of slave labor? The US was the only country that had free labor in their own backyard. You can make an argument that further along in time slaves only really benefited the south, but there's no denying that slaves got this country poppin at the jump.

I'm sorry if I'm mis-interpreting what you are saying, but I don't think the US was the only country to engage in the slave trade. Weren't there nations in Europe that were using black, slave labor?
Africa had a slave trade thousands of years ago...

SlaveryTable002.jpg

The US wasn't even close to the largest importer of slaves.

Originally Posted by whiterails

SlaveryTable002.jpg

sounds about right.

im not saying slavery didnt help build this country but i am saying people dont need to be pissed about it forever. it was a bad time. it should be rememberedand acknowledged but thats all. reparations are a whole different story. problem i have is everyone on here who loves to lump all white people in one groupwhen they talk about racism.

my whole thing with black and hispanic people being held back is that its moreso an SES issue than race. i dont want to get into some off issue argument butfrom all the predominantly black and hispanic schools i have worked at, this is what i have noticed.

Not only do those statistics have nothing to do with... well...anything, but they are misleading.

Although the united states wasn't the only nation to have black slaves, it was the last nation for it to be still legal. The only reason they aren'tnumber one is because they weren't really ready from an agricultaral standpoint to take advantage of slave labor until after Eli Whitney's biginvention.Britain, as well as it's colonies outlawed slavery in the early 19th century. U.S. was late in the slave trade, obviously because it wasn'teven done with the revolution until late 18th century. Not only that U.S. was the only nation not to educate their slaves. I am of Jamaican Heritage and all myFather talks about is how much better Jamaicans are because the British educated their slaves. So save the statistics for someone who doesn't know whatthey are talking about.

Not only do those statistics have nothing to do with... well...anything, but they are misleading.

Although the united states wasn't the only nation to have black slaves, it was the last nation for it to be still legal. The only reason they aren't number one is because they weren't really ready from an agricultaral standpoint to take advantage of slave labor until after Eli Whitney's big invention.Britain, as well as it's colonies outlawed slavery in the early 19th century. U.S. was late in the slave trade, obviously because it wasn't even done with the revolution until late 18th century. Not only that U.S. was the only nation not to educate their slaves. I am of Jamaican Heritage and all my Father talks about is how much better Jamaicans are because the British educated their slaves. So save the statistics for someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.
so jamaicans are better off than african americans?

^ I don't agree with my father if that is what you are asking, I don't think I am better than anyone. I will say this though, if I was still in JamaicaI would have received a far better education, that is for sure.

Although obviously a generalization, american blacks have it far harder than any other "black" sub category. Whether that be immigrants from Africa,or any other Caribbean nation.
The reasons vary, I find the biggest one to be psychological.
British Education > American.

^ I don't agree with my father if that is what you are asking, I don't think I am better than anyone. I will say this though, if I was still in Jamaica I would have received a far better education, that is for sure.

Although obviously a generalization, american blacks have it far harder than any other "black" sub category. Whether that be immigrants from Africa, or any other Caribbean nation.
The reasons vary, I find the biggest one to be psychological.
British Education > American.
i guess. i dont see the jamaican education system being better than america's but thats your opinion.

Originally Posted by waylon

This is asking for trouble.

how is this asking for trouble? it's the damned truth and this comic is made very light of what actually did go on.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

On a university level?..Of course not.
any level.

Ok, I was just clarifying that I didn't mean university level. I gave my opinion of MY education. I never said Jamaicans system was better than ours, Isaid the British education system is. Jamaica is still under british educational format, and curriculum.....

Would you say Britains is better than ours?

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

On a university level?..Of course not.
any level.

Ok, I was just clarifying that I didn't mean university level. I gave my opinion of MY education. I never said Jamaicans system was better than ours, I said the British education system is. Jamaica is still under british educational format, and curriculum.....

Would you say Britains is better than ours?
i dont really think of primary and secondary education format as the defining aspect of the educational system. i think if you live in a goodarea, you probably get an awesome education in america. if you live in a bad area, it might not be as good due to lack of funding and the turnover rate of theteachers. but its most definitely adequate enough to get you to college if you and your parents give a @%+%. from the years i have worked in it, thats all inotice. ive seen poor $** kids go to good colleges and the one thing they all have in common is that their parents value education. most dont for whateverreason. im not black obviously, but i get mad all the time at the dumb @%+% that these kids look up to in these "poorer" communities. but thatsanother topic.

but im guessing that as a whole our system here is better than jamaica's. if you are looking at what comes out of it. britains? who knows? hard to measuresince our country is so huge.

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

Originally Posted by whiterails

SlaveryTable002.jpg

laugh.gif
@400k total slaves

no.

exactly .

i dont understand why people believe only thousands of slaves died / were captured .

Originally Posted by isu42

Nice how you completely ignored the backyard part.

Back
Top Bottom