A Gentlemen's Point Guard Discussion.

Let's talk NBA point guards.

About half way through last season, I decided that Chris Paul was the best point guard in the NBA. Yes, in the wake of Steve Nash's back-to-back MVP awards, Jason Kidd's greatness over the years, and Deron Williams' emergence.

After watching CPIII go for 19, 3, 21, and 3 tonight, I thought I'd make this thread and ask you all where you stand in terms of the great point guards in the NBA.

Yes, I'm a Hornets fan, but no, I am not being biased in saying that Chris is the best point guard. That is coming from a fan who really appreciates good point guard play.

Paul: 18.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 12.5 assists, 2.8 turnovers, 3.0 steals in 33.8 minutes

Kidd: 8.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 10.3 assists, 3.8 turnovers, 2.8 steals in 34.0 minutes

Nash: 19.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 8.0 assists, 4.3 turnovers, 0.8 steals in 30.5 minutes

Williams: 24.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, 9.3 assists, 2.8 turnovers, 1.2 steals, in 36.8 minutes

Baron Davis: 21.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, 9.8 assists, 3.8 turnovers, 1.8 steals in 39.3 minutes

No, Iverson doesn't count. :stoneface:
indifferent.gif

Let's hear it.
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin 23ska909red02 KingLouisXIV DS 530s Finest sir hendrix Rexanglorum Kiddin Like Jason
TEAMCOWBOYS

Quote:
Yes, I'm a Hornets fan, but no, I am not being biased in saying that Chris is the best point guard.
:smh:
smh.gif
Team49ers/CalBears/Warriors
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
Bring UCSD a football team.​

Nash, Kidd, Williams, Davis, Paul

Williams might overtake Kidd by the end of the season.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Belinelli - Biedrins - Croshere - Davis - Ellis
Harrington - Hudson - Jackson - Lasme - O'Bryant - Perovic - Pietrus - Wright

In terms the NBA's young PG's i give the edge to Deron Williams over Paul and Roy. He has the ablility to take over the game.

But dont get me wrong Paul and Roy are phenomenal

and in terms of the veterans, canadian PG #13 still has that title of Best PG
TEAM LAKERS
1949-1950-1952-1953-1954-1972-1980-1982-1985-1987-1988-2000-2001-2002​
KOBE BRYANT<>24-7<>LAMAR ODOM​
...Pursuing M y Happyness​

He is not the best PG in the NBA. nash is better, only thing he does better then kidd is score and williams is just as good over all PG as he is and proably a better scorer then paul.

and Kool-aid u get thse man crushs and hold on to them tight

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!
TEAMCOWBOYS

Fans who use stats and stats alone as conclusive evidence for their argument are forgetting that numbers don't account for everything.

I would choose Kidd over any PG in the league, and there is no stat for his hustle, vision, and court leadership.

Then I'd go with Nash, mainly because he's the best quarterback in the NBA; his accuracy and decision-making are damn near perfect on damn near every play.

Then I'm mixed between Paul, Diddy, and Deron.
4L8O15S16T23!42
My 5 teams: 1. ANGELS, 2. LAKERS (I grew up on Angels/Lakers games), 3. UK WILDCATS (my wife is from Kentucky), 4. TN TITANS (we married and started our lives together in Tennessee), 5. L.A. SPARKS (WNBA/Sparks fan since Day One). When my teams aren't playing, I'll always show love for these SoCal teams: L.A. CLIPPERS, S.D. PADRES, Anaheim DUCKS, USC TROJANS, S.D. CHARGERS, L.A. AVENGERS, L.A. DODGERS, U.C.L.A. BRUINS, L.A. KINGS, L.A. GALAXY. "This game is in the refrigerator! The door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's gettin hard, and the Jello's jigglin!" -Chick Hearn (R.I.P.)​

Put Paul with a couple of the squads you mentioned above and some would say he's the best that ever lived. It's an NT fact. Once he brushes up on his jumper he'll seriously be a problem, and maybe add some bulk for the D end.

I really like Williams because of his mid-range jumper and size which helps him defend, but he doesn't seem to create the way that Nash and Kidd do (although I haven't seem him play a ton of games). Those guys ARE their teams' offenses.

The fact of the matters that all of these guys have their one weak spot: Nash on D, Kidd's streaky jumper, Paul's size, Williams' creation, and Davis' lack of motivation sometimes throughout the season.

Given all this, they are all great PGs and, no doubtedly, any team would love to have them. I'm keeping it at that.
TEAM CLEVELAND CAVS
James,Pavlovic,Hughes,Gooden,IIgauskas,Varejao,Marshall ,Da.Jones,Pollard,Snow,Wesley,Newble,Gibson,Brown​

all you brung were numbers to the table and yes you have to be bias.

on that note

j kidd , nash and baron are still beter, because they put in more work and they continue prove their great/good ball players. you still have to give chris paul some time.

look at Damon Stoudamire, started of his career crazy. Tim hardaway looked like he was going to be the best point guard of our time his first several years. Hardaway was a great player dont get me wrong, he had a pretty impressive career, but i hardly ever hear anyone talk about him being the best.

give paul time before you give him that crown...
T E A M N E W Y O R K K N I C K S​

Quote:
In terms the NBA's young PG's i give the edge to Deron Williams over Paul and Roy. He has the ablility to take over the game.

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!
TEAMCOWBOYS

Quote:
Fans who use stats and stats alone as conclusive evidence for their argument are forgetting that numbers don't account for everything.
Team49ers/CalBears/Warriors
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
Bring UCSD a football team.​

Put as simply as possible? Right now Nash and Kidd are still the gold standards. But in 2-3 years Paul will be the undisputed best PG out.
"Sports Do Not Build Character, They Reveal It." - John Wooden
TEAM AM FAM

I'm not a fan of CP's defense. He's just a swiper. This is what gives Deron Williams the edge IMO. He's a big boy and will not be overpowered by another PG. He has the entire offensive arsenal as well. I'd probably take a 100% healthy Brandon Roy over Paul also.
The Mayor: Always do the right thing.
Mookie: That's it?
The Mayor: That's it.
Mookie: I got it. I'm gone.​

1. Kidd
2. Nash
3. CP3
4. Baron
5. Deron
TEAM LAKERS

Quote:
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin 23ska909red02 KingLouisXIV DS 530s Finest sir hendrix Rexanglorum Kiddin Like Jason
TEAMCOWBOYS

Davis' speed and ball-handling isn't that bad is it?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

do any of you actually watch paul play? dude has by far the sickest handles out of any of them and can get in the lane at will
has court vision almost up to kidd and nash and equal to barons and slightly better than deron to me
shot is developing but not as good as probably any of those guys' yet (maybe kidd)
quickest thief hands out of the bunch i'd say
great passer (as are all these guys tho, but his ability to get in the lane gets him so many looks)
just lacks the strength of bdiddy, deron, and kidd. probably even weaker than nash maybe, who knows

but i'd say hes got the most potench between him and any other young PG in the league as of yet
Turn up the bass
Check out my melody
hand out a cigar
I'm letting knowledge be born
and my name's the R.

The only one with a consistent track record of making his teammates much better than they are is Kidd. Every single teammate he has had has gotten better. Kenyon is making bank just because he played with Kidd. He led average teams to the Finals twice and is the cog to this Nets team.

The same goes for Nash on the Suns. Look at where the Suns were without him and compare it to now. It's night and day.

No doubt CP does similar things for the Hornets but he isn't on the level of Nash and Kidd yet.

My rankings:

Nash
Kidd
CP/Deron
Baron
808. PERIOD.

20% off karmaloop.com with code: JBOAT

Yeah, I disagree on that breakdown. You can also add "strength" and "clutch shooting," maybe even "leadership."
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

I'd take Nash, Kidd and Williams over Paul. And that's not a slight to Paul at all.

I really like Williams' game and I think he'll have a better career than Paul. Paul's nice, but I don't like his lack of size or lack of shooting.
HoustonRockets
FRANCIS - MCGRADY - YAO​

you do understand that sampling 3 games' worth of data doesn't paint a very accurate picture, right? You think Williams will really average 24.5? You think Kidd will only average 8.5? Right now, AI, who you disregard, is averaging 10 apg, should you have added that?

I agree with everyone who said Kidd and Nash are still tops, simply because they've accomplished so much more than Paul and Williams, but both the young guys are very much on the come-up. I don't know why you think Paul is better than all the others, you didn't give a single reason, you just said you "decided" it sometime last year.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Chauncey; I know he's not of the same caliber as Kidd and Nash, and sure he's not Zeke, but I'd still put him near, if not in, the top tier of floor generals.

I'm not enthusiastic about this myself, but I'd add Tony Parker to the discussion of good PG's too; not because of his leadership or his passing or his orchestration of the offense, but simply because of how effective he is. All he needs to do his pass where Popovich tells him to pass (ie TIM DUNCAN), and shoot 55% in the paint by being the best layup finisher in the world.

I'm not gonna mention the Bodyguard right now.
fs: mili IV, black V, carolina X, bred XI low, bred XII, french XII, flint XIII, bred XIV, black XIV, black XIX se
all size 10-10.5, ds to nds, cleaning out my closet

turn the music up
turn me down

Back
Top Bottom