A Journey into the World of Italy's Racist Soccer Thugs (ESPN Article)

This is a very long read, but it's worth it.

Mario Balotelli is the main reason why I got into soccer 2 years ago. I knew he was subjected to abuse, but not nearly to the effect of what I read in the article. Jokingly, I thought maybe he should apply for citizenship in the US. At least then he could play for a country that would actually respect him as a person. I know he's Italian, but that country doesn't show him a lot of love. To get repeatedly heckled in your place of work due to your skin color is taxing. I just wonder when he eventually says "enough is enough?"

Obviously the MLS can't hold a candle to these leagues in Europe due to player skill and lack of funds, but it would be something if they get a frustrated castoff, who is in their prime, from Serie A, etc. to play here in the States. You'd have to think that our crowds (and overall way of life) here would be a little more welcoming. All it takes is one...

When The Beautiful Game Turns Ugly
A journey into the world of Italy's racist soccer thugs.
ESPNFC &
ESPN The Magazine
by Wright ThompsonILLUSTRATION BY ROBERTO PARADA
06/05/13

VERONA, Italy -- Right up until he started quoting Hitler and dropping N-bombs, my new friend was a great dude. I'll call him The Hooligan. A more generous host would be hard to find. Soon after we met, he made sure we stopped at the one place in town that served Campari correctly. He speaks eight languages, and seemed nothing like the Hellas Verona fans I'd read about, the neo-fascist, neo-Nazi, racist thugs. The Hooligan insisted the Veronese just have a dark sense of humor and refuse to wear the yoke of modern political correctness.

Now we are headed toward the terraces of the stadium. Soon I'll be packed in with the hard-core fans, three people for every seat, chest to back, eyes burning from smoke bombs. Near the entrance to the stands, I ask The Hooligan to translate any chants hurled down at the players. He is an old-school soccer thug, not on a first-name basis with impulse control. His eyes are slate blue, and his face has darkened with intensity as kickoff approaches. His voice is a sharp blade.

"How about, 'You're a f***ing n*****'?" he says, and we walk inside.

Rest of Article in Link

Last edited:
Man I'm going to Europe in August/Sept (Rome, Paris, Barcelona). As a black man I may not go to match. I really don't think I could handle hearing thousands of people making monkey noises and saying the N-word

I think the monkey noises says more about them than it says about Balotelli

Europe is the land of savages

:stoneface:

Anyway, although it's only a small population of fans doing this at matches, the fact that it keeps on happening shows that the consequences for doing this are basically non-existent. Something drastic needs to be done to teach these clowns a lesson. As much as I dislike English football, the FA takes a lot of action against racism and discrimination. Other European countries need to follow their example, and UEFA needs to do more than hand out bull@#$% 50K fines. Treat them like the English hooligans in the 80s and ban them from competitions

My statement has nothing to do with this article...Europe truly is

Good article tho...thanks op

Boy that's messed up but unfortunately us westerners have no idea how racist Europe is even outside of football..it's rough that in 2013 ppl are still bigots and racists in public and not a single damn is given

**** just makes me sick to my stomach.

Before this article, I contemplated buying a Balotelli Italy jersey. Not anymore. I'll support Balotelli through and through, but until there are drastic changes made as far as fan behavior, team Italy, etc. will not get a dime of my money.

I was half-joking about one of these guys defecting to the MLS because of being fed up with their treatment, but I would like to see this happen. Not just for my own selfish reasons, but it would be a major statement for someone of Balotelli's stature to flat out give up on a league due to racism.

Last edited:
Not too big into European soccer(not yet) but Balotelli is one of my favorite players after seeing him play for the National team during their last World Cup run. Read that article last night and it made me sick! Couldn't imagine what him and Kevin-Prince Boateng endure from those fans.

I went to an AC Milan - Roma game in San Siro. I'm not exaggerating when I say the security there was stricter than at the Italian airports :lol:

I didn't see anything over the top there; Milan was having a down year and the stadium wasn't quite full but people were still passionate. Some people still managed to smuggle in cigarettes and flares despite the security. There were a few guys just chain smoking and pacing in the aisles and cursing the entire game, never sat down or anything. :lol:

While Europe is more progressive in a lot of ways they are still stuck in the past. Many people are very xenophobic towards blacks and Muslims. I get mistaken for the being Iranian sometimes and I had a very short beard when I was over there. I got more dirty looks in one day in Basel than I have the entire rest of my life :lol:.

honeslty always thought balotelli was just a douche but now i completely get him and why he is how he is. good long read

Bunch of savage animals. The fans in Italy who perpetuate and condone this stuff need to be slaughtered like the rabid cattle they are. Seriously they should be rounded up and exterminated the way their idol did the Jews. Don't even get me started on the uncivilized countries like Russia and Serbia. Vile human beings.

i seriously thought the NT career, racially insensitive trolls would have posted that the black players were just being overly sensitive and pulling the race card. there's still time, it is only the first page.

View media item 444229
In Italy fans of the club Lazio are pretty much the poster boys for this type of subhuman savage behavior. . The weekend before last Lazio played Roma in the Copa Italia final, these were confiscated from Lazio Ultras trying to sneak them into the stadium at just ONE entrance.

honeslty always thought balotelli was just a douche but now i completely get him and why he is how he is. good long read

Yup, I honestly believed he was an arrogrant prick and the media most definitely didn't help his image. I always knew about hooliganism and racist ongoings at euro soccer matches but this article really opened my eyes.

Good read OP, and I knew this was coming from that other thread, where you were just itching to touch on the subject lol.

Finally got around to the article... tremendous read.

Huge fan of Balotelli and I've always liked Milan as well, and it's pretty tragic how much Mario wants to be accepted and feels pride to play for his country, but some fans will treat him the way they do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom