A massive earthquake of 8.8* magnitude has struck close to the city of Concepcion in Chile.

A tsunami was generated'
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a warning for Chile and Peru, and a less-urgent tsunami watch for Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica and Antarctica.

"Sea level readings indicate a tsunami was generated. It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicenter and could also be a threat to more distant coasts," the center said.

The U.S. west coast tsunami warning center said it did not expect a tsunami along the west of the U.S. or Canada but was continuing to monitor the situation.

msnbc

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

worse than haiti?
Based on magnitude, 8.8 > 7.0

Yup. But casualty-wise, I don't think this one's touching Haiti.
At least I hope not
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

worse than haiti?
no way it could be worse casualty wise

Yeah, in Hait's case, most of their buildings and structures were put together WITHOUT building codes
so once an earthquake hit, the devastation grew exponentially. The few buildings that had American
engineers oversee the structural process are still standing.

seeing the news this morning, it wasn't as bad as Haiti when it came to casualities

however, it's still terrible that lives were lost

Originally Posted by AG 47

worse than haiti?

Yeah, in Hait's case, most of their buildings and structures were put together WITHOUT building codes
so once an earthquake hit, the devastation grew exponentially. The few buildings that had American
Chile is pretty deep in South America...I doubt their infrastructure is much better than Haitis.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Originally Posted by AG 47

worse than haiti?

Chile is pretty deep in South America...I doubt their infrastructure is much better than Haitis.
1) it is better because they even said that this happens quite often
2) the population density is much less

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Chile is light years ahead of Haiti as far as development, infrastructure and resources goes.

Originally Posted by Informerx

they said 15-20 foot tsunami expected for Hawaii

to put it in perspective, this was the biggest earthquake recorded in history:
The 1960 Valdivia earthquake or Great Chilean Earthquake (SpanishGran terremoto de Valdivia) of 22 May 1960 is to date the most powerful earthquake ever recorded, rating 9.5 on the moment magnitude scale.[sup][1][/sup] It occurred in the afternoon (19:11 GMT, 14:11 local time) and its resulting tsunami affected southern ChileHawaiiJapan, the Philippines, eastern New Zealand, southeast Australia, and the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.

The epicenter was near Cañete (see map) some 900 km (435 miles) south of Santiago, although Valdivia, Chile was the most affected city. It caused localised tsunamis that severely battered the Chilean coast, with waves up to 25 meters (82 ft). The main tsunami raced across the Pacific Ocean and devastated Hilo, Hawaii. Waves as high as 10.7 metres (35 ft) were recorded 10,000 kilometres (6,000 miles) from the epicenter, and as far away as Japan and the Philippines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...1960_Valdivia_earthquake

Yeah I woke up to those sirens this morning.  Tsunami expected to hit Honolulu at 11:25am.   Pray for us and my fellow Hawai'i NTERS.  
frown.gif
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom