About to cop an Engagement Ring. VOL I'm out the game. Retiring my jersey SMH

I'm not a jewelry guy and I know nothing about buy it.

Through a little googling I thinking about buying a loose diamond and separate setting.

Help :nerd:

An old co-worker of mine got married last year and I was very familiar with his search for an engagement ring.

-How much are you looking to spend?
-What kind of cut are you looking for?
-What kind of clarity are you looking for?
-How many carats?
-What sort of diamond design do you want?
-What metal color are you looking for?
-How about shape and setting?

He ended up getting a loose diamond and then having it placed in a ring. Dude got a pretty good deal. I'd advise you make sure the diamonds are all certified before making the purchase.

An old co-worker of mine got married last year and I was very familiar with his search for an engagement ring.

-How much are you looking to spend?
-What kind of cut are you looking for?
-What kind of clarity are you looking for?
-How many carats?
-What sort of diamond design do you want?
-What metal color are you looking for?
-How about shape and setting?

He ended up getting a loose diamond and then having it placed in a ring. Dude got a pretty good deal. I'd advise you make sure the diamonds are all certified before making the purchase.

Cushion Cut, White Gold, spend 5000K tops.

Gemalogical Institute of America (GIA) is one of the best diamond certifiers. their certificates help when you're looking around.

Last edited:
get a loose diamond and setting separate.

Do not go to any chain, mall jeweler cause you'll get nothing for your money.

Paid 5k for my girls. I got 1.5ct center, SI-2, G color, hearts and arrows with a 1 ct setting for 5k. Malls and other places were giving .75 ct centers for 5k.

Cushions are nice, especially if you have it around a Halo. It'll make the diamond look bigger.

The thing about cushions are that it looks a little funny when it's under 1.2c. Good luck with your search OP. Also, are you looking for a solitaire or a diamond band as well? You should go with diamond band if you're getting a cushion.

Something like this is what I'm talking about.

View media item 513037

Gemalogical Institute of America (GIA) is one of the best diamond certifiers. their certificates help when you're looking around.

Good advice here. This is what I meant earlier when i said make sure the diamonds are certified.

To keep it real, ask her to pick it out, trust me in the long run she will be very thankful.

Ask her to pick it out bro, no matter what she says she'll only be happy with the exact ring she picks out

To keep it real, ask her to pick it out, trust me in the long run she will be very thankful.
This is not bad advice. However, if you don't like the idea of her picking it at least try to get an idea of what she wants. These girls KNOW what they want and she's going to be wearing this the rest of her life (hopefully) so you better get it right! I know exactly what my girl wants for her ring now just from hinting at the idea a few times. I don't plan on marrying her any time soon. But if she ends up being the one I know I have to get white gold, white diamond princess cut band, and a pink diamond on top
laugh.gif

this is awesome dude. I'm excited for you. Get something good, if you dont have her pick it out. Dont be cheap, this is your wife, assume that it's going to be forever, get her something special. women love diamonds. good luck on the proposal.

Ask her to pick it out bro, no matter what she says she'll only be happy with the exact ring she picks out

Takes away some of the luster of the proposal, no? Unless dude pops the question w/ no ring... :lol:

Cushions are nice, especially if you have it around a Halo. It'll make the diamond look bigger.

The thing about cushions are that it looks a little funny when it's under 1.2c. Good luck with your search OP. Also, are you looking for a solitaire or a diamond band as well? You should go with diamond band if you're getting a cushion.

Something like this is what I'm talking about.

View media item 513037

She basically picked this exact ring out.

This is not bad advice. However, if you don't like the idea of her picking it at least try to get an idea of what she wants. These girls KNOW what they want and she's going to be wearing this the rest of her life (hopefully) so you better get it right! I know exactly what my girl wants for her ring now just from hinting at the idea a few times. I don't plan on marrying her any time soon. But if she ends up being the one I know I have to get white gold, white diamond princess cut band, and a pink diamond on top :lol:

This guy has it right.

You should have some idea what the girl likes and doesn't like. If you've been with her for a long time, i'm sure there had to have been some conversation about what kind of engagement ring she likes. Maybe she has a friend who recently became engaged. Does she like her friend's engagement ring? Why or why not?

You also have to consider the girls lifestyle before choosing a ring. How will the ring fit in with her lifestyle? Does she work in a profession where fussy jewelry would look out of place? Is she a simple girl who is a minimalist? Sometimes, having extravagant looking rings may see out of place for someone.

Every girl I know has told me at least one time what engagement ring they prefer. If all else fails, just casually walk into a jewelry store and see what she likes and doesn't like. You can always ask one of her girlfriends too.

Last edited:
I just recently got engaged and after doing a lot of research I chose to get the ring from Jamesallen.com. You select the loose diamond and setting separately. Make sure you read up on the different diamond labs that rate the diamonds. GIA is supposed to be the best and a lot of the chain stores (Kay, Jared, etc.) will try to sell you an overpriced lower grade diamond.

You can view the ring I put together here: http://www.jamesallen.com/sre159516..._medium=email&utm_campaign=yourengagementring

A very highly graded .8 carat square cut on a platinum band ran me a little over 5 grand.  Helped that I knew the owner of the store and she wanted to build a business relationship though.

Back
Top Bottom