Accepting an internship and then deciding not to do it?

Long story short...I interned for the Big 4 (accounting firm) last summer and signed on for a second internship starting this June...I was JUST accepted in asummer program that I didn't think I could ever get into...

I'm going to have to tell the company that I have to rescind my acceptance but I just wanted to know if anyone has ever done anything like this or if theyhave any suggestions? Thanks

P.S. I have no future intention of working for the Big Four or accounting, etc....this new program directly aligns with my future career goals.

Send a carefully and nicely worded memo to the person who offered you the internship, politely declining the internship.
They've experienced it before... they prob have dozens of people waiting for the chance..

just don't burn bridges.

And do it quick, nothing will irritate them more than if you wait to tell them and put them in a bad position. I would probably call so you can tell them youwanted to let them know ASAP so they could act accordingly, and so they can sense the sincerity in your voice.

man one of my homeboys won the chance for this awesome internship for a great accounting firm. he beat out 150 people for the opportunity. this idiot turnedthem down because his dad didnt like the idea of his son interning for only 100 dollars a week. i told him he is a moron and needs to stop doing everything hisdad tells him to do with his life. you however are much dif and have something more aligned with your future goals as appose to doing it just cause, so do justlike dirty said and let them know as soon as possible and be as respectful and appreciative as possible. good luck with everything though.

So e-mail them??? I originally thought I should call them but I could see how it could turn ugly

Just start the letter (email) with "It is with deep regret"... That letter will be in the wastebasket (deleted) in no time. You're not obligatedto them nor are they to you. If you are concerned that you could be possibly leaving them high and dry, attach a resume of one of your colleagues that youthink could fill the slot and offer it as a consolation.

roll.gif
don't you dare send them a friend's resume, that would be the ultimate slap in the face

Originally Posted by infamousod

roll.gif
don't you dare send them a friend's resume, that would be the ultimate slap in the face

How so? HR folks are always looking at and looking for resumes. Most jobs offer you money if they hire someone you got in contact with the company. The onlyway they should be insulted is if the individual is grossly under-qualified. Business is business.

Back
Top Bottom