Accidently had a NY Summer and now I miss it. Where else are the vibes?

Advice?

• Sounds like you're moving back to NYC

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • ________ is a place you might like (post in comments)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Stop being a weirdo and learn to enjoy other parts of the country

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
For myriad reasons, I ended up back in NYC almost every other weekend this summer so far from like April until this weekend.

I'm really coming to terms with the fact that there really isn't anything like NY. Growing up you hear it and think it's just typical NYC arrogance talking but I'm starting to think it really isn't. The closest things I can think of are Toronto and London but that only speaks to the Caribbean vibe. Maybe Boston because they have the Dominicans out there too and a solid Chinatown. Boston...well It's been a minute. I'd have to reassess since it's been a few years. Miami is cool ngl but the having to drive everywhere (or so it felt at least) made it not feel right. Almost forgot DC. DC is cool and is the closest major city to where I'm at in VA but I feel like options are pretty limited. Like I can go to a party in NYC and it's straight soca/reggae/dancehall/afrobeats/uk music. I can't get that in DC.

I visited Houston earlier this year and I was like...this is not a city. I get it, everywhere has its own vibe, and it's on me to adapt and enjoy new places for what they are. But that mix of literally everybody's culture being a train ride away is undefeated. I hate going out knowing I would have to get a DD or pay up for Uber/Lyft. I've had to sleep it off a few times in the parking spot.

As I'm looking to start a new chapter (going for the master's), I foresee myself moving again and I always said I wasn't going back to NYC (too cold, too crowded, too costly). I'm starting to feel like I want to go back on that. It could just be nostalgia and feeling good seeing family, friends, and the city in a new light, but I'm feeling like if I can afford it I might wanna move back to the city if not at least the tri-state area.

Sorry, this kind've got rambly. Where else in the states can I get that similar new york energy? I enjoy myself most places but its always something making me feel like a visit is cool but settling down is not the move. Maybe I'm just being stupid and picky.

Home is where the heart is - live it up and enjoy NYC. I lived in Seoul for 3 years in my late 20s and i’ll never forget it. Everything open all hours, people walking everywhere, lots of friends etc. If it feels right it’s probably right.

NYC is the MECCA. Born in the Midwest but have traveled and lived in Paris, London, Amdam, Toronto, Budapest, the list goes on.. NYC is all those wrapped in one. Like you said, closest thing is Toronto and London as far as English speaking, but if you speak a little French, Paris is just as good and truly my heart/spiritual home.

For me in Merica tho, it’s NYC or bust.

It’s a great city and I’ve enjoyed living there. Definitely think the pros outweigh the cons. The problem for most people is that they simply cannot afford to live there comfortably and really take advantage of what the city has to offer.

I took a break from the city during the beginning of the pandemic like a lot of folks, but the city is more or less back.

Last edited:
DC is cool and is the closest major city to where I'm at in VA but I feel like options are pretty limited. Like I can go to a party in NYC and it's straight soca/reggae/dancehall/afrobeats/uk music. I can't get that in DC.

In DC, you can go to Ozio, Park on 14th, Saint Yves, Decades, etc for that.

Yeah really gotta know the Caribbean/African crowd in DC and they'll let you know where the vibes are this week. That said really nothing like NYC. I miss it and don't miss it everytime I visit.

It's legit like kingfoamnyc kingfoamnyc said, step off the train and within an hour see the baddest joint you seen all month, get some of the best food in the world, and have some hood ****** test your gangsta, some crazy dude is yelling at you. And you ain't even hit the boroughs yet, this is midtown.

Yea OP if you want the international vibes, DC is the best option before you hit NYC…I just discovered this Cuban spot with outside seating last month, drinks was hittin and the joints like the vibes…2/2 smash rate going there so far :lol: :pimp:

But overall nothing will compare to NYC if that’s the standard you comparing so you minus well move back there if that’s what you really want …Don’t limit your happiness

DC is a great time if you know where to go. You’re not gonna randomly run into stuff like you would in NYC. They’re not comparable cities if you really think about it.
Yeah this my biggest knock on DC and was debating on moving to NYC during the pandemic. DC can be lackluster doing the same thing.
Yea OP if you want the international vibes, DC is the best option before you hit NYC…I just discovered this Cuban spot with outside seating last month, drinks was hittin and the joints like the vibes…2/2 smash rate going there so far :lol: :pimp:

But overall nothing will compare to NYC if that’s the standard you comparing so you minus well move back there if that’s what you really want …Don’t limit your happiness
Dawg drop the name of the spot or text it to me.

Yeah this my biggest knock on DC and was debating on moving to NYC during the pandemic. DC can be lackluster doing the same thing.

Dawg drop the name of the spot or text it to me.
El Sapo…But you can’t go wrong just walking round that area, see like 12 different nationalities of biddies in a couple blocks

NYC has called my name more than a few times. And this is surprising because people from San Francisco, Oakland, and the rest of the Bay usually favor LA, but I'll always liked NYC's urban vibe. Don't get me wrong, I would immediately miss California if I left, but ultimately I going to different neighborhoods to hang out solo and I feel like NYC trumps LA in that respect. I don't know how'd I'd handle that weather though, San Francisco stays the same temperature for most of the year.

The NY summer humidity absolutely sucks though. Glad the heatwave is over.

Past couple weeks been rough man :lol:

Take my dog outside to piss and she's panting within 10 seconds.

I don't know if we're getting older or the humidity really is worse. I remember it being hot and crispy in the 90's early 00's but it didn't phase me.

Evenings when the humidity dissipates are beautiful though.

NYC has called my name more than a few times. And this is surprising because people from San Francisco, Oakland, and the rest of the Bay usually favor LA, but I'll always liked NYC's urban vibe. Don't get me wrong, I would immediately miss California if I left, but ultimately I going to different neighborhoods to hang out solo and I feel like NYC trumps LA in that respect. I don't know how'd I'd handle that weather though, San Francisco stays the same temperature for most of the year.
The weather is more uncomfortable than not on the east coast…Y’all got it great out west weather wise

The weather is more uncomfortable than not on the east coast…Y’all got it great out west weather wise
Definitely, I would miss the hell out of it for a number of seasons and it would take a while to acclimate. I'd actually be more worried about that humid-*** summer season. I could get warm, can't do **** about the heat but deal with it.

Definitely, I would miss the hell out of it for a number of seasons and it would take a while to acclimate. I'd actually be more worried about that humid-*** summer season. I could get warm, can't do **** about the heat but deal with it.
After the new excitement of being out in the street wears off, you’ll stay in the AC all day and only pop out when the sun coming down like the rest of us :lol: :smh:

NYC is the MECCA. Born in the Midwest but have traveled and lived in Paris, London, Amdam, Toronto, Budapest, the list goes on.. NYC is all those wrapped in one. Like you said, closest thing is Toronto and London as far as English speaking, but if you speak a little French, Paris is just as good and truly my heart/spiritual home.

For me in Merica tho, it’s NYC or bust.
I might have to consider Paris. I spent some time in Geneva as a kid so my French is there but a bit rusty. My sister lived out there too for a little while and she loved it in Paris. Honestly didn't even think about it. Good looks.

In DC, you can go to Ozio, Park on 14th, Saint Yves, Decades, etc for that.

Coromanti Coromanti you gotta go to Georgia Ave (silver spring side), if you looking for that vibe in DC. They got a whole strip with Afro/Soca/Caribbean and East African vibes. Ask frshstunna frshstunna

El Sapo…But you can’t go wrong just walking round that area, see like 12 different nationalities of biddies in a couple blocks
Appreciate it

Last edited:
Late in the game, NYC is making a strong push for a comeback. They haven’t had the lead all decade, but they’re within arm’s reach. The inability to resign free agents and covid restrictions are really hurting Cali.

Back
Top Bottom